F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Inspect a Used 2014 R....Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 11:36 PM
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Going to Inspect a Used 2014 R....Tips

I'm going to inspect a used, low-km, 2014 R coupe from a private seller tomorrow and would appreciate your thoughts on mechanical issues to look out for. I've read of window scratches, sticking exhaust valves, injector issues and underbody rust. If things get serious I'll definitely get a professional mechanical inspection, but I'd appreciate the collective experience of owners.

The following users liked this post:
djyankees31 (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

This one I'm guessing: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-7222691/?Cr=1
No interior pics at all and no details of fitted options although it does have black pack exterior.
I can see it also has Pirelli P-Zeros which at 23,500 km are probably the originals and worn out and if so you should be able to use that to negotiate a lower price as they will need replacement.
Other than what you have listed check the most important thing of all - full service history, it should have had at least six services and oil changes by now.

Other things to check for:
Paint condition - swirls, scratches, chips etc
Any and all warranty work and TSBs performed such as sound system and O2 sensors
Condition/wear of brake rotors and pads, again they could be worn and if so another bargaining chip
Any signs of coolant leaks
Noisy/rattly engine maybe signifying worn SC coupler, timing chains, fuel pumps etc.
Sticky buttons and plastic surfaces
Worn/scratched P button and/or Start button and/or flappy paddles
Worn/scuffed driver's seat especially the side bolster
Noisy diff
Age and condition of the battery

It seems like a fair price for a relatively low kms example especially one in a rarish colour but I would be a little worried about the lack of detail and why the seller hasn't made much effort in the ad.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:34 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

$105,000 USD for a 2015? I'm so very sorry for you guys down there....

Old 05-18-2021, 05:30 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
They have other things to compensate!

Old 05-18-2021, 05:36 AM

OzXFR. Yep, that's the one. First R, and only second F-Type I've seen in IRR in two years. Might end up parked next to my IRR XE S.

Thanks for the detailed answer and perceptive comments. Service history stacks up. No interior shots as he had exterior shots provided by the detailer (when he had it done a while back) and before he had time to post interior shots I was on his case.

I will get a professional inspection done in the (likely) event that I love it. In the past I've used an independent vehicle inspection company, but perhaps with a relatively unique vehicle I should use a Jaguar dealer. Thoughts?

Old 05-18-2021, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member

Try a new R here in Oz, over $300,000!!

Old 05-18-2021, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by andrew0068
OzXFR. Yep, that's the one. First R, and only second F-Type I've seen in IRR in two years. Might end up parked next to my IRR XE S.

Thanks for the detailed answer and perceptive comments. Service history stacks up. No interior shots as he had exterior shots provided by the detailer (when he had it done a while back) and before he had time to post interior shots I was on his case.

I will get a professional inspection done in the (likely) event that I love it. In the past I've used an independent vehicle inspection company, but perhaps with a relatively unique vehicle I should use a Jaguar dealer. Thoughts?
I would stick with your known independent but clue him in beforehand on F-Type peculiarities and the "extras" to look for compared to other cars.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I would stick with your known independent but clue him in beforehand on F-Type peculiarities and the "extras" to look for compared to other cars.
Makes very good sense!

Old 05-18-2021, 08:50 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
They have other things to compensate!
You mean like having the 10 deadliest snakes in the world? Or all the poisonous spiders, or even that big one that likes to live in your house with you? Sharks that will swim up fresh water to kill you? That's more compensation than I care to have.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:49 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

You mean like having the 10 deadliest snakes in the world? Or all the poisonous spiders, or even that big one that likes to live in your house with you? Sharks that will swim up fresh water to kill you? That's more compensation than I care to have.
The pedant in me has to point out they're venomous spiders, not poisonous.

But you're cherry picking the bad stuff - they have good stuff, too.

JacksonvilleJag (05-19-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

And you forgot the biggest crocs on the planet that also like to swim miles up fresh water just so they can chomp you.
And jellyfish with lethal stings and a strange but cuddly looking critter with a venomous barb on it's rear foot.
And that's only some of the natives, don't forget to throw in millions of feral critters that like to chomp and stomp including water buffalo, camels, cattle, donkeys, horses, pigs, deer etc etc.

JacksonvilleJag (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:53 AM

This one I'm guessing: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-7222691/?Cr=1
I can see it also has Pirelli P-Zeros which at 23,500 km are probably the originals and worn out and if so you should be able to use that to negotiate a lower price as they will need replacement.
Other than what you have listed check the most important thing of all - full service history, it should have had at least six services and oil changes by now.

Other things to check for:
Paint condition - swirls, scratches, chips etc
Any and all warranty work and TSBs performed such as sound system and O2 sensors
Condition/wear of brake rotors and pads, again they could be worn and if so another bargaining chip
Any signs of coolant leaks
Noisy/rattly engine maybe signifying worn SC coupler, timing chains, fuel pumps etc.
Sticky buttons and plastic surfaces
Worn/scratched P button and/or Start button and/or flappy paddles
Worn/scuffed driver's seat especially the side bolster
Noisy diff
Age and condition of the battery

It seems like a fair price for a relatively low kms example especially one in a rarish colour but I would be a little worried about the lack of detail and why the seller hasn't made much effort in the ad.
OzXFR . Looks good. Interior very tidy. Second set of P-Zeros. Five services completed at JLR dealers, with the latest being three weeks ago. No outstanding campaigns, TCBs etc. Forgot to check if it pops and crackles, so may have been toned down a bit at the last service. I'm almost over the line, although I plan to get an independent appraisal for crash damage / a few of the key items you and others have mentioned.

The biggest issue I saw was that the boot cover holding clips were broken and the cover (that hides the stuff you have in your boot) had been removed.

Big thank you!

Old 05-19-2021, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by andrew0068
OzXFR . Looks good. Interior very tidy. Second set of P-Zeros. Five services completed at JLR dealers, with the latest being three weeks ago. No outstanding campaigns, TCBs etc. Forgot to check if it pops and crackles, so may have been toned down a bit at the last service. I'm almost over the line, although I plan to get an independent appraisal for crash damage / a few of the key items you and others have mentioned.

The biggest issue I saw was that the boot cover holding clips were broken and the cover (that hides the stuff you have in your boot) had been removed.

Big thank you!
Yeah, I should have guessed it had new tyres as the pics seemed to be in a tyre shop!
Those clips and the cover are not exactly cheap (and I suspect the clips will be a real PITA to fit) so you have a good bargaining chip there.

Edit - the clips are cheap but the cover is not, see here: https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/a/...M/4760770.html
I think the clips are parts 26 and 29 so only a few $ each but the "cargo cover" part 28 is some $680-690 US so to get that from your local JLR dealership I guess would be at least double that in Oz $. Might be cheaper to get one from the US and pay for shipping!

Last edited by OzXFR; 05-19-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:26 AM
Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts

Turn the headlights on and drive up and down a hill so the dynamic lights have to adjust their angles. Make sure the adjustment motors work. Those seem to fail and throw a code.

Touch the plastics at the trunk release button, rear fog light button, and underneath the door pull handles. See if they have started to get that sticky residue. Not a dealbreaker but will tell you if the previous owner has been attentive to stuff like that.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:08 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
The pedant in me has to point out they're venomous spiders, not poisonous.

But you're cherry picking the bad stuff - they have good stuff, too.
It's Australia. I'm sure they have poisonous spiders also. Probably some that are both poisonous and venemous. Also giant kangaroos, which I've heard are complete ********. There are beaches and folks with cool accents in less insane corners of the world, thanks.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lpf4
It's Australia. I'm sure they have poisonous spiders also. Probably some that are both poisonous and venemous. Also giant kangaroos, which I've heard are complete ********. There are beaches and folks with cool accents in less insane corners of the world, thanks.
Dunno about the spiders but we have poisonous toads in plague proportions - cane toads. Not native though, introduced from Sth America in 1935 to control the cane beetle (lots of sugar cane grown in SE Qld and northern NSW). Yuuuge mistake!
We had giant kangaroos up until around 45,000 years ago and the largest we have now is the male red kangaroo which stands around 6' on tippy toes. And no you don't want to mess with one!

Old 05-26-2021, 11:34 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Dunno about the spiders but we have poisonous toads in plague proportions - cane toads. Not native though, introduced from Sth America in 1935 to control the cane beetle (lots of sugar cane grown in SE Qld and northern NSW). Yuuuge mistake!
We had giant kangaroos up until around 45,000 years ago and the largest we have now is the male red kangaroo which stands around 6' on tippy toes. And no you don't want to mess with one!
Wait, they used to be BIGGER than 6 feet?

We have poisonous toads here in FL too, but really they're only a danger to dogs, who all seem to be hell bent on finding out what they taste like. lol