Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gong noise from drivers side rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts
Default gong noise from drivers side rear

Hi, when I reverse my car down my (steepish) driveway I get a "gong" noise like a spring sound or something shifting in the hatch compartment. It only happens once, probably going over the edge of the slab a few inches, or over the gutter. That's the only time I hear it.

Just while I type this I am thinking maybe it is something in the spare wheel well moving, but murphy's law would dictate more likely something to do with the rear suspension.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-29-2021, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Hi, when I reverse my car down my (steepish) driveway I get a "gong" noise like a spring sound or something shifting in the hatch compartment. It only happens once, probably going over the edge of the slab a few inches, or over the gutter. That's the only time I hear it.

Just while I type this I am thinking maybe it is something in the spare wheel well moving, but murphy's law would dictate more likely something to do with the rear suspension.

Any thoughts?
You got Chuck Barris in the boot?

Something may be interfering or rubbing against one of the rear springs.

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Sounds like a rear spring is broken or possibly binding.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uncheel
Sounds like a rear spring is broken or possibly binding.
Definitely sounds like a spring. Like the old spring mattresses from my youth...

Old 07-31-2021, 04:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

2020 R-Dynamic Coupe

I think I have this problem, and I started a thread called "what is that sound". But, unfortunately, the thread did not go very far, and I have no solutions.

I would describe my noise as if you dropped a bolder (from not high up) into a pool—sort of a "ga-glunk" sound. Or if you pushed your hand underwater in a tub. It sounds like the beginning of a gong noise (without the long ring on the tail). I only hear it once (usually when starting a journey and slowly moving forward with the wheel usually turned ). This occurs perhaps one out of every eight outings. It's coming from the rear. For some reason, I heard the sound when rolling over large platform slates at the gas station and the top of a garage platform with floors underneath. I could stop here and ask the forum for advice.

-but here's a potential kicker. When I switched out my winter tires for my summer tires, I was told my winter tires, which were on the car for six months, were missing two lugs from the right rear tire; holy s#it ! (yes, I have wheel locks) I am 98% certain that my JLR dealer switched out my summer wheels for the winter wheel and forgot to put on two lugs. I know it's JLR because the car never leaves my sight when it's out of the garage. This is the same dealer who required three trips in for service on a new car, to figure out I had incompatible TPMS sensors from TireRack as I kept getting a PSI sensor fail light. I have an even worse dealer story that I can't bring myself to writing at the moment.

What is this sound? More importantly, what should I be asking my NEW service department to research? If I say I hear a gong sound, they will not even look.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Strewth actually I had that once before. After a service they forgot to tighten the spline nuts on my aftermarket wheels (had taken the wheel off to get at the air filters) - I drive it for about a month and it felt odd, in the end one nut was fully gone, one was about to come off. Needed a new bearing shortly after. Will check, thanks!