Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye fellow Jag F-Type enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
If buick's happy that Walt's happy, I'm happy.
But are we keeping the women happy? If they aren't happy, nobody's happy!

Old 09-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. My final statement about there not being a substitute for Porsche was pretty much tongue in cheek. The F-type is a very beautiful car and formidable too. My only 2 complaints are that with the power it was putting out, especially after my pulley and tune, it should have been all-wheel drive, (Now they are), and that it is too heavy.

There is no question it looks great and sounds great. In fact, I won a car beauty contest when I stopped by a bar to meet a friend for a beer and it just so happened that they had an ongoing "hot car contest", judged by one of their waitresses and I ended up winning with my V8S!

So why leave then?

A few days ago I had to take the Jag to the local dealer for repairs since the top was stuck at an intermediate position. Once it was fixed I wanted to talk to the tech about what he believed had happened and how to keep it from happening again. The service advisor told me I could not go back in the shop to talk with him but that he would make sure the tech called me later. He never did. I then called the dealer asking to speak with the tech and was again told he would call me later. Again, he never called.

That got me thinking. I have a totally different relationship with my local Porsche dealership. I can and do go in the shop. I know the tech that works on my two Porsches. In fact, I have his cell phone and can call him at anytime with any issues I am having with my cars. I even take him to lunch every once in a while. So I have a totally different working as well as personal relationship with my Porsche dealership vs my Jaguar dealership.

Additionally, most of my car buddies have Porsches and I attend the local Porsche road rallies. The PCA has lots of local events going on. Not much going on in the Jag world around here as far as I know.

Lastly, when I was looking for a convertible performance car Porsche did not have anything in their line I was interested in other than another 997/991 Turbo/s and I already have a 997 Turbo S coupe so I was not interested in another similar model. Now however Porsche has a new Spyder that has the base 911 engine and weighs just under 2900 lbs. Here is a car that in my opinion looks very nice, has great performance and I can take on the local Porsche rallies and events. I maintain all the great relationships I’ve had and just add another car to the fleet.

So my leaving is not a bashing of the F-Type by any means. I believe it’s a great vehicle. After all I would not have bought it had I thought differently.

Walt

The following users liked this post:
BierNut (09-19-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 04:22 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Great reasons, not the least of which is a great relationship with the dealer/tech. My dealer is lousy, and I find that frustrating too. But other dealers in the area get poor reviews too.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Hey...it is what it is...we all have our reasons for doing the things we do.

And life goes on...

Old 09-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,604 Likes on 8,299 Posts

If Walt's wife is happy, then EVERYONE is happy

Old 09-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Car salesman's credo: I'm not happy 'til you're not happy.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
...Once it was fixed I wanted to talk to the tech about what he believed had happened and how to keep it from happening again. The service advisor told me I could not go back in the shop to talk with him but that he would make sure the tech called me later. He never did. I then called the dealer asking to speak with the tech and was again told he would call me later. Again, he never called.
Well that is crappy service. I would make sure I sent the GM that message -- especially since you and I use the same dealer. They need to understand that not only did they lose you they put doubt about *my* future relationship with them -- as well as others on here. What kind of message are they sending?

And a second comment -- it is amazing how dead the Jag performance guys are around here. Thinking about switching brands myself to get more performance related activities (hint V race team).

Old 09-19-2015, 08:16 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I am also a german car fan, and I agree the PCA is a much more active organization with more interesting events, etc. I had been planning to go with the Boxster or a 911 Cabrio this time around, until I (and more so my wife) saw the F-Type. I love the look, and the performance is close enough not to complain about. I have yet to see how the service will be at my local JLR but they have a great rep in the area so I'm in good spirits there.

Right now I'm planning to keep my FTR until either the new Tesla roadster hits the streets or I can find a way to get my hands on a Porsche 918. But who knows what the future will bring.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've owned two 911s in the past. A 1989 Targa, and a 2006 Carrera 4 cab.

When I started shopping around for a replacement for my 06, I thought sure I'd end up with another 911, but I wanted something different. I won't go so far as to say Porsches have no soul, but I did find them more...reserved, for lack of a better word.

As I was reading up on the F-Type, I ran across somebody who posted a comment on another board that went something like...a Porsche is like a fine instrument, and the F-Type is like a hammer, and sometimes it's more fun to go apeshit with a hammer.

That describes exactly how I feel about Porsches vs the F-Type. To me, the 911 is all about precision, and the car being an extension of the driver. The F-Type is about sound, fury, theater, and riding on the back of a dragon.

Both cars are fun, just in different ways. If I could afford to have an F-Type and a 911, I probably would, and drive them on different days according to the mood I'm in.

To the OP, enjoy the Porsche, and drive it like you stole it!

Old 09-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Performance Tweaks & F-Types

The OP is happier with a car that has been evolving for decades and has an entire cottage industry supporting current and past incarnations.

F -Type is a few years old, and if we are lucky represents a lasting presence in the Jaguar line up.

Hopefully future prospective buyers learn that if you want a customizable track car, F-Type is not there yet. Too heavy, too rowdy and too young.

I am concerned about this tech business also. Is the dealer Plano Jag?

Orkney