Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good morning- new Super Performance brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 11:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Good morning- new Super Performance brakes

Morning all,

I found a complete set of SP brakes from a junkyard from a 2015 F-type V8 on ebay. Pulled the trigger for $1000. Lots of good information on this forum, so thanks for all of the informative posts. The car currently is a base with the 355mm fronts.

I have also ordered a rear diff from an S, so my base will have most of the good bits from the F-type S along with a VAP tune and pulley. Should be fun.

I am starting to look into the process for swapping the front calipers, just had the brakes bled @ the dealer, but hopefully the fluid loss will be minimal. Any tips on the job prior to starting?

Also, if anyone can provide any advice on prepping the used calipers- should I need to rebuild anything if they have been in a junkyard for a bit? Wrecked car had 51k on it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-02-2021, 11:26 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I'm sure you're aware that the super performance brakes won't fit inside the base's standard 18" wheels - just an FYI.

The following users liked this post:
eeeeek (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 01:39 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Wink
Morning all,

I found a complete set of SP brakes from a junkyard from a 2015 F-type V8 on ebay. Pulled the trigger for $1000. Lots of good information on this forum, so thanks for all of the informative posts. The car currently is a base with the 355mm fronts.

I have also ordered a rear diff from an S, so my base will have most of the good bits from the F-type S along with a VAP tune and pulley. Should be fun.

I am starting to look into the process for swapping the front calipers, just had the brakes bled @ the dealer, but hopefully the fluid loss will be minimal. Any tips on the job prior to starting?

Also, if anyone can provide any advice on prepping the used calipers- should I need to rebuild anything if they have been in a junkyard for a bit? Wrecked car had 51k on it.

Thanks in advance!
From what I've seen, the front calipers will bolt right up as long as you got the mounting brackets for the 380mm brakes. What I'm not 100% certain is if the CCF for the braking system is the same. The CCF for F-TYPEs equipped with the Brembo Carbon Ceramic brakes is different. Jaguar did offer an a Super Performance braking kit as an accessory (part # T2R9304) for V6 cars but its been discontinued. I've been trying to see what was included in that kit.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

As WhiteTardis says the SP brakes will bolt straight up as long as you also upgrade the caliper holders/brackets, which I guess you already have as part of the "complete set".
You will also need new larger splash shields for the rear brakes but I doubt you got those as they are rivetted on so not easy to remove. I used some nuts and bolts to mount the new splash shields when I upgraded the rear 325 mm brakes to 385 mm. Cheapest around for new splash shields is Britcar in the UK.
You will also probably need new crush washers for mounting the brake line banjo bolts, two for each bolt so eight all up. You may be able to get away with re-using the old washers after filing down the inner "crushed" edges but new would be better. If new the only ones you can use are OEM which most dealers can get for you but prepared to be bent over on price!
Many say you should also use new caliper bracket bolts (OEM have small amounts of thread locker on them) but I have re-used the old bolts many times with zero problems, but if you are getting new crush washers you might as well get new bolts at the same time.
If the new set doesn't come with the electric parking brake motors already attached to the rear calipers the "old" motors will bolt straight up,
The only "special" tool you will need is a 9 mm hex/allen driver for the front caliper slide pins, most sets don't have a 9 mm but plenty on Fleabay. Go for one with a long shank if you can.
As for rebuilding the calipers there are rebuild kits out there (new piston seals etc) for not many $ and that would be a good idea.
Also thoroughly clean all the "new" parts and especially the front caliper slide pins and the plastic sleeves they fit in. Again if the new set doesn't have those sleeves plenty on Fleabay or as a last resort from the dealership. Dunno if 355 mm sleeves fit the 380 mm brakes but they probably do (as both use the same 9 mm hex caliper slide pins).
If the new set comes with front brake anti-rattle clips check that the "feet" (ends) have little metal pieces right on the ends and that they are firmly attached. You can get new anti-rattle clips but they are something like $80 each!
Last but not least lightly coat the slide pins and sides, edges and backs of the new pads with hi-temp ceramic brake grease.