F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good News for CA F types with VAP Tune!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 05:14 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Good News for CA F types with VAP Tune!

I understand CA significantly tightened its testing criteria last August, so I was a tad nervous when I took my F type in for a SMOG test today. But happy to report, that at least with a VAP tune, the car passed with no issues!

Wish I could say the same for my supercharged M3 - gonna have to sell that car to someone out of state - the magical "no show" smog certs are a thing of the past....

Old 02-03-2020, 08:22 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't lived in california for almost 2 decades, but when I did, I was in a car crew and everyone had lots of mods and even engine swaps that would NO WAY pass smog. Some of those guys knew a guy who knew a guy (you know the deal) and could just get a different car smogged and tagged as their car. You just have to know who to talk to. That or move of that god awful state (someone on the vette forum called it the PRK- people's republic of kalifornia) and hope that cancerous state breaks away from the rest of the US in a massive earthquake!

The following users liked this post:
Mark G (02-05-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 09:06 AM

So back in August they changed the testing procedures, the state's software is now smarter, reading the VIN off the ECU, checking drive cycles, tracking the past 10 cold starts, stored codes, etc. So getting the "no show" or special smog certs are nearly impossible now. Anyways, just wanted to let folks know not to sweat the tune, as long as you don't go to high flow cats, you should be ok for SMOG test in Cali.

Besides the punitive SMOG rules, Kalifornia is anti car in many ways. 10% sales (and/or use tax) and obscene registration fees and now higher insurance premiums make owning multiple cars in CA too expensive to justify. That and I have yet to find a six car garage in a sub $10 million dollar here by the coast. Wanted to keep the F type, but it was time to find it a new home.

Last edited by Chawumba; 02-03-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
So back in August they changed the testing procedures, the states software is now smarter, reading the VIN off the ECU, checking drive cycles, tracking the past 10 cold starts, stored codes, etc. So getting the "no show" or special smog certs are nearly impossible now. Anyways, just wanted to let folks know not to sweat the tune, as long as you don't go to high flow cats, you should be ok for SMOG test in Cali.

Besides the punitive SMOG rules, Kalifornia is anti car in many ways. 10% sales (and/or use tax) and obscene registration fees and now higher insurance premiums make owning multiple cars in CA too expensive to justify. That and I have yet to find a six car garage in a sub $10 million dollar here by the coast. Wanted to keep the F type, but it was time to find it a new home.
Interesting. I'm sure there are still ways around it, but yeah that sounds like a PITA. And yes, Kalifornia is pretty anti everything. Not sure if you knew but even water and air contain chemicals that are known to the state of California to cause cancer...

Old 02-03-2020, 10:05 AM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

I'm always amused by people bashing California. Having lived in other countries, California is relatively easy to get a vehicle inspection. You should have your vehicle inspected through the UK's MOT inspection, for example. If that were the case, many cars here wouldn't be on the road to begin with.

Queen and Country (02-04-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
I'm always amused by people bashing California. Having lived in other countries, California is relatively easy to get a vehicle inspection. You should have your vehicle inspected through the UK's MOT inspection, for example. If that were the case, many cars here wouldn't be on the road to begin with.
Sure, but relative to the rest of THIS country, it's god awful. Tons of states have 0 regulations. I had a wildly aggressive tune and straight pipes with no cats on my 2013 Mustang GT in SC and never had to worry about it

Old 02-03-2020, 11:18 AM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Sure, but relative to the rest of THIS country, it's god awful. Tons of states have 0 regulations. I had a wildly aggressive tune and straight pipes with no cats on my 2013 Mustang GT in SC and never had to worry about it
Perhaps they don't have the air quality issues California does. I applaud California and states in the northeast for making an effort to have better air quality.

I've been to South Carolina many times. Beautiful place, but not somewhere I would choose to live.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:26 AM

Perhaps they don't have the air quality issues California does. I applaud California and states in the northeast for making an effort to have better air quality.
Totally agree!

But in this latest round, they seem to be more like "modification police" than stewards of clean air. My 2010 supercharged M3 with hi flow cats would pass the tailpipe emissions test, but because the air intake, injectors and software has been heavily modified, its deemed undriveable in Cali. I think an exception for such cars that are driven low miles would be nice.

And I'm not opposed to safety inspections. For a state with a very high poverty rate and consequently many old beater cars on the road, an annual safety inspection would make sense. But again, instead of mandating it on all cars, perhaps only cars 7 years or older.....

Carbuff2 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

[For a state with a very high poverty rate and consequently many old beater cars on the road, an annual safety inspection would make sense.
I haven't been out to the Left Coast in many years, but at that time, I was amazed at the number of 'beater' cars running (?) on fewer cylinders than designed. Wondered how they got away with that...

Perhaps they need to spend more $$ on along-the-road emissions enforcement?

++++++++++++++++

NJ is a CARB-emissions state, but two years ago they decided that non-OBDII were not worth inspecting for emissions (there were too few, they said). So now, I don't need to inspect our 1988 exotic anymore (which passed emissions fine, thankew).

Old 02-03-2020, 11:49 AM

I've been to South Carolina many times. Beautiful place, but not somewhere I would choose to live.
Really depends on where you go. Charleston (where I'm from) is pretty nice but more of the state than not is a hole. But, one of the best states for gun rights. Really annoying liquor laws. Bible belt and all that. Also it's too damn hot, which is why I moved to Denver (and not Texas, which is where I'd really like to live). CO is pretty good on all fronts though. I know they have emissions standards, but nothing like CA. And I definitely agree with the statements that it can pass emission but not pass visual, which is just dumb. They are very anti mod. I've gotten a fix it ticket there for a CAI. Literally nothing else modded and I got a ticket for it, and that's when I had SC plates!! (I was active duty military stationed there so didn't have to register in CA)

Old 02-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

And I definitely agree with the statements that it can pass emission but not pass visual, which is just dumb.
It seems fair that if they feel they need a rolling road test JUST FOR MODIFIED CARS if needed, the owners should pay for the 'added service'. I agree, if it takes more time to inspect and measure, there is some justification for added compliance inspection.

The nonsense with CARB authorized aftermarket parts being required is nonsense too. If CARB certs guarantee emissions compliance, why not allow them to be fitted????

Old 02-04-2020, 02:44 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ooh the California smog, there always a way around it 😉