Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default GoPro mounting?

I might end up on a hot lap in Sonoma, but more likely I want to record a nice viddy of the adaptive headlights and auto-highbeam at night, on a windy road. A few of my friends didn't understand what it was doing, and I would love a nice recording of it.

Has anyone mounted gopro stuff, where, and has there been a problem taking it off or removing it ie Glue or any issues?

Old 10-16-2015, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

suction cup mount works great. make sure the mirror or paint surface is clean and smooth.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (10-19-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Suction cup as shift said.

From experience, the front panel infront of the hood actually transmits a lot of vibration. So if you were mounting there to try and get a shot of the headlights, you might not end up with a clean video. Better to come out from the front fender or extend off the hood.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:30 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

I too was skeptical about the suction cup mount till I used it. Absolutely secure. No glue or anything other than the suction cup itself are needed. Comes right off when releasing the lever.

I mounted three before two hours of hot laps at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway back in April.

I was pretty nervous about the 1st mount below because of the extension I wanted to get a good angle that included the intriguing rotations of the front wheel. Mounted to drivers fender, between door and front wheel, just below the power vent.

Even longer extension here, but less leverage in this application which was to get the typical forward footage, with the entire hood in the frame, from outside the cockpit, without blocking any of the drivers visibility. Mounted to the leading edge of the panoramic roof, extending over the windshield, right above the rear view mirror.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

The other trick I use is to first put a vinyl wrap on the paint, then put the adhesive on the vinyl wrap. Otherwise it's a pain to remove the adhesive mount. But vinyl is fairly easy to remove. I've only done this in the "vertical" position so holding power wasn't a real problem. Not sure if that makes sense....

Old 10-17-2015, 10:49 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

how bout a good place to mount/materials inside the actual car to show the road ahead and behind? i've never used a go pro before but curious

Old 10-19-2015, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I have mounts for the outside but I recommend you buy professional ones that have a pump suction cup. Plenty of professional camera mounts out there. Always mount on a glass surface, paint is not as air tight. I have done several high speed runs with cameras mounted out side but for convenience now always mount on interior windshield and side window and use external mic. Just faster easier and easier to manipulate and cheaper then when one flies off....

Example (This weekend at Poconos Raceway of interior mounted go pro with exterior mic, took me 5 minutes to set up ... versus outside takes forever for placement, start stop, checking etc....

The following 2 users liked this post by Schwabe:
RickyJay52 (10-20-2015), Uncle Fishbits (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Example (This weekend at Poconos Raceway of interior mounted go pro with exterior mic, took me 5 minutes to set up ... versus outside takes forever for placement, start stop, checking etc....
This is all fantastic advice, people. Especially for making it so much easier.... mount on glass, interior. That's pretty damned simple. The exterior is going to put me at a computer doing more editing than I want to learn. Forward and back would be just dandy for me. Now I get to buy one of those cool new tiny GoPro.

Exterior mic is interesting. It sounded great. FUN!!

I had the 1st GoPro. Now stymied on Hero 4 vs 4 Session. I have read all about the differences...
http://www.gizmag.com/gopro-hero-4-s...lus-lcd/38423/

cannot decide. Any advice is welcome.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 10-19-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

need is the wifi function which allows you to see on your phone how you point the camera, as well as allows you to stop and start recording from the phone. Remote mic is simply a $20 lapel microphone such as this http://smile.amazon.com/Movo-GM100-O...pel+microphone
just get a long enough extension and some suction cup cable holders and stick it out the back through the trunk right next to the exhaust.
The difference between the two is not that much when you start out anew. If you already have the battery charger, housing, mounts etc for a 4 it costs you a lot more to get everything for the session again. Some stuff is interchangeable but just go with what you want but if you want front and back buy two of the same or at least a silver and a hero 4 as the parts interchange. the video up top was shot with a silver as I could not find my hero 3+ after my last water ski session with my son. The quality difference is neglible especially after processing and uploading.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:15 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
This is all fantastic advice, people. Especially for making it so much easier.... mount on glass, interior. That's pretty damned simple. The exterior is going to put me at a computer doing more editing than I want to learn. Forward and back would be just dandy for me. Now I get to buy one of those cool new tiny GoPro.

Exterior mic is interesting. It sounded great. FUN!!

I had the 1st GoPro. Now stymied on Hero 4 vs 4 Session. I have read all about the differences...
GoPro vs. GoPro: Hero4 Black, Silver, Session, and Hero+LCD

cannot decide. Any advice is welcome.
If your intended use is a single short term project, I highly recommend that you rent the GoPro at a cost of $35 - $40 per week.

Lots of online options, Google: GoPro rentals.
I used LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more for my day at the track. Rented 3 GoPro 4 Silvers with all the mounts, extensions, batteries, charger, etc, for about $250.00, including shipping both ways.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

You can also get non-GoPros..like Polaroid ones or even Chinese knock-offs. I have 1 GoPro Black that cost $400. Couldn't justify spending that much on a second one so I got 2 $200 Polaroid ones. Then I got 2 more $100 Chinese knock offs (on Amazon). So now I have 5 cameras to capture all angles during some cruise/drives. The GoPro is still the best video quality, but the other ones are good enough for me, considering they cost 1/2 to 1/4 the price of a GoPro.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:41 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Another option is to scope out Craigslist in your area. A lot of people get gopros as gifts or buy them then realize that they don't do anything worth capturing so sell them off pretty cheap. I got a brand new Hero 4 Black plus remote for $350. Sold the remote for $50 so $300 for a $500 gopro. And at the time there were quite a few to choose from near that price point.

I have both the Hero 4 Silver and 4 Black. I would pick the silver if I was just buying one. The LCD screen is great for ease of framing shots without needing to connect the app. The black is overkill unless you plan to utilize high frame rate or 4k resolutions.