F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an AMG to go along with my F-type

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice car, but the only AMG I'd ever get is the AMG GT or the SLS if they still sold it.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

congrats! that interior is one of the best looking interiors ever! with the exception of that stupid after thought of a screen

Old 08-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lizard
Sure.

Exterior: The AMG is wider and taller than the Jaguar with a more muscular look when compared to the Jaguar’s more pretty lines. Most people would say that the Jaguar is a better-looking car but I appreciate the more masculine looks of the AMG. The AMG’s exterior panels fit and finishes, along with the paint, is much higher in quality and provide a more expensive looking vehicle.

Interior: The AMG interior’s build, materials, fit & finish is a league away from the Jaguar. The leather, controlling buttons, trims, and any tactile surfaces are solid, well put together, and feel very high-end in the Mercedes. The infotainment system is faster, crisper in displays, and provides more tech toys than the Jaguar.

Engine: The AMG revs very quickly despite being a twin turbo engine. It feels like it’s pulling harder on the top end of the revs where the Jaguar feels more brutal in the lower and mid ranges of the revs.
The tip in throttle feel of the Jaguar is a bit better than the AMG. Perhaps it’s the different between a supercharged engine and turbo charged engine showing through.
I noticed that the Jaguar is getting way better mpg then the AMG though. I’m getting close to about 19 in the Jaguar, but only about 14/15 in the AMG at the moment.

Gearbox: In auto mode, AMG’s seven speed works really well holding each gear to red line in Race mode and offers blips in three of the five available driving modes. In manual modes it will down shift when asked to but as instantaneously as the DCT in my e92 M3. Comparing to the Jaguar, the AMG gearbox is about the same but with only a minor advantage in upshifting speed.

Sounds: The AMG is quite loud with the sport exhaust but is tamed when compared to the Jaguar. It’s more voluminous where as the Jaguar is sharper and much, much louder with its barks. The over runs pops and crackles in the AMG is very short and quiet, and not as pronounced as the Jaguar. The Jaguar does not even have to try to win this battle.

Chassis and Brakes: The brake in the Jaguar is very good but the CC brakes in the AMG is amazing. It bites down with authority and stops with ease. Both cars feel heavy but the AMG feels like it has more grips. I’m already pushing the handling limits of this car way sooner than I’ve ever have in the Jaguar. For my driving skills, I feel like there’s a bit more confidence with the AMG then the Jaguar.

If I only have one car I would pick the AMG. It’s looker with lots of power, a good sound track, tons of tech toys in the cabin, very luxurious and comfortable interior, and an accommodating trunk space. There is a sense of isolation when driving it, in a good way, when compared to the Jaguar.

I would chose the Jaguar if it’s my second or third car. It gets tons of attention, sounds spectacular, goes fast, and makes you feel like you’re a part of the car. It has also been relatively reliable and easy to own. There will be less of these around then the AMG due to their price points as well as being a two seater. The interiors, techs, and build quality does not match the appearance of a six figures car however. It’s a great weekend car that you can enjoy in short stings.
Awesome, thanks for the detailed review!

Old 08-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

I like the AMG's though I think a C series isn't a direct comparison to the F type......I would like an SL63AMG though but the price difference is a bit silly IMO.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 08-28-2017, 12:50 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I am with Dave. We had an E-series MB and while at the dealer, once, I looked and drove some C-series stuff. Clearly MB wanted to expand their market but I think an eyes-open, objective comparison shows that they have cheapened the brand. What's worse is that because they are selling and servicing so many more cars now, but the service facilities have not expanded, when you go in for service it can be a horrible experience. I ran away from MB and never looked back. We are much happier with the Volvo V60 RD for my wife. IMHO, it fits between the C-class and E-class for fit and finish, but is more comfortable and fun than both of them. I looked at the roadsters for me and the new C is just trashy compared to the SL. I think the F-type is just right.
Larry

Old 08-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Supposed to be all IWC! But they don't make all of their movements. I assume this is one of these, probably an ETA variation.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Love that car the only thing that really annoys me about it is the fact that with the carbon ceramic brakes, the rears are still conventional steel...

Old 08-30-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 179 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
Love that car the only thing that really annoys me about it is the fact that with the carbon ceramic brakes, the rears are still conventional steel...

I agree, though in terms of their appearance and daily use, they have not been an issue for me.

Attached Thumbnails Got an AMG to go along with my F-type-aaimg_0173.jpg   Got an AMG to go along with my F-type-aaimg_0260.jpg  
Old 08-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
Supposed to be all IWC! But they don't make all of their movements. I assume this is one of these, probably an ETA variation.
I doubt if IWC makes a 12 volt DC movement so I share your assumption that the movement is outsourced. There is no case, so what is left is the face.

It would be nice if MB offered different faces. You could have a Rolex, or Patek, or VC face to match your real watch.

I respect MB engineering as much as anyone, but that dash looks like an explosion in a button factory. Row on top of row to buttons and those air vents are anything but subtle. The vents in the E are better. And then the iPad is the cherry on the sundae.

At the end of the day. MB makes a great automobile, but the design work is not is not up to British/Jaguar or Italian/Ferrari-Maserati-ALFA standards. I expect on a rational basis the engineering is more important, but on an emotional level the design work is. After all how many people around here bought an F for the sound!

Old 08-31-2017, 03:24 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lizard

I agree, though in terms of their appearance and daily use, they have not been an issue for me.
Yea, absolutely! Great car nonetheless and hope you enjoy it.
I'm just all about details and that sort of thing would be a deal breaker for me. I'm really a very big fan of carbon ceramic breaks.