F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got backed into. Add dash cam or stop driving it to Lowe's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 05:43 AM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Got backed into. Add dash cam or stop driving it to Lowe's?

So the car got backed into. No note left, of course
Insurance on this thing is already pretty high, I really don't want to make a claim.
It's going to be $1,300 to fix just the rear corner above the tail light. $3k if I also replace the slightly cracked tail light and fix the scuffed bumper cover.
So now I'm looking at dash/rear cams with good parking mode protection.
Which leads to needing LTE for cloud notification.

Or do I stop driving it to Lowe's.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:33 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Always my fear when I buy a "toy car" to drive. I love my cars and always have but it is so sad people just don't seem to give a **** or simply are jealous. My last car was a Porsche 911 S and I came out after dinner to find someone had jumped on my hood and ruined it. It was about a $3,000 claim. Apparently it is or was a"thing" for people to either jump or skate board over the hood of either expensive cars or exotics. Back to your issue goes to the point people just don't care. I have seen in parking lots people backing into parked cars, look around, don't see that anyone noticed them and take off. I am sorry for what happened. A dash cam may help but from what I have been told parking lot issues are not easy to get people held accountable.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:38 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

A good dash cam is always a good idea with a nicer car. Park in the back corner where no one is or don’t take it would be my solution. Unfortunately, attention comes with the car.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by mrjohnt
A good dash cam is always a good idea with a nicer car. Park in the back corner where no one is or don’t take it would be my solution. Unfortunately, attention comes with the car.
And sometimes it helps to park in the back and sometimes it creates a spot light on your car as well. I parked my Porsche under a light in the back of the parking lot and it was still the target of vandalism.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:26 AM
Old 11-29-2020, 10:38 AM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the thinkware dashcam in mine and it has saved me on more then a few occasions, as when I got hit head on and the woman tried to lie through her teeth. I'd get a dashcam, and park in far away sports if possible.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

I always park as far away as possible where the lot is empty. But almost every time somebody will park right next to me when there are 10 or 20 other empty spaces nearby to park.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:45 PM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I find parking next to another nice car gives me a 'buddy' that may help the situation. The guy with the Porsche is not gonna ding my door just as I don't want to ding his door.

The following 3 users liked this post by takeapieandrun:
danmandle (03-28-2021), ferrral (12-02-2020), SinF (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I would not drive my F-type to Lowe's unless it was an emergency and no other car is available. In that case I would park it as far away from the entrance as possible, ideally with no cars around.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:27 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
So the car got backed into. No note left, of course
Insurance on this thing is already pretty high, I really don't want to make a claim.
It's going to be $1,300 to fix just the rear corner above the tail light. $3k if I also replace the slightly cracked tail light and fix the scuffed bumper cover.
So now I'm looking at dash/rear cams with good parking mode protection.
Which leads to needing LTE for cloud notification.

Or do I stop driving it to Lowe's.
I believe it is a fallacy of logic to assume those are the only two options. As others likely do, I park away from everyone (of course usually end up with someone next to me no matter how far away), but there is no guarantee about parking anywhere. On the Audi forum there was a guy who was so sick of people parking next to him or leaving carts nearby or touching his car, he actually parked in the cart return to be funny (took photos to prove it). I guess he figured the worst place might be the place where people demonstrate the most caution; not sure, but I also get a bad look every time I leave a car running while I'm making a quick trip to the store. I don't go to IKEA for 3 hours while its on, but I would rather let it run for 3-5 minutes than shut it down. The wife is always paranoid about someone stealing it and my thought is that we live in an area with like no crime and that some people would think a running car is "police bait" and they are being watched which makes it less likely to be accosted. Been doing it for 15 years, nothing stolen yet, although in my younger days, I would lock up my car every night and had two broken into. go figure. In summary, stretch the F-type legs and go get your home improvement supplies, just park more strategically.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:09 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

That can happen anywhere unfortunately. I would be more concerned about picking up a nail in the tire at a home center than being hit. Bars are another matter entirely. 😁

Old 12-04-2020, 12:51 AM
Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
I find parking next to another nice car gives me a 'buddy' that may help the situation. The guy with the Porsche is not gonna ding my door just as I don't want to ding his door.

Like so

Old 12-04-2020, 02:43 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

This also works, but it takes a lot of friends...

The following 4 users liked this post by DJS:
Brock (12-04-2020), cloverfield (02-19-2024), giomgio (03-22-2021), SinF (03-21-2021)
Old 12-04-2020, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by gg2684
I believe it is a fallacy of logic to assume those are the only two options. As others likely do, I park away from everyone (of course usually end up with someone next to me no matter how far away), but there is no guarantee about parking anywhere. On the Audi forum there was a guy who was so sick of people parking next to him or leaving carts nearby or touching his car, he actually parked in the cart return to be funny (took photos to prove it). I guess he figured the worst place might be the place where people demonstrate the most caution; not sure, but I also get a bad look every time I leave a car running while I'm making a quick trip to the store. I don't go to IKEA for 3 hours while its on, but I would rather let it run for 3-5 minutes than shut it down. The wife is always paranoid about someone stealing it and my thought is that we live in an area with like no crime and that some people would think a running car is "police bait" and they are being watched which makes it less likely to be accosted. Been doing it for 15 years, nothing stolen yet, although in my younger days, I would lock up my car every night and had two broken into. go figure. In summary, stretch the F-type legs and go get your home improvement supplies, just park more strategically.

My daily driver is a BMW and I leave it running all the time for the same reason whenever I run into a place quickly. In that car (and I am hoping the Jag) you can lock the doors while it is running.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Same thing happened to me. They obviously reversed into the backside of the passenger side. The metal panel was bent and damaged and it costs 2500, and 6 months in the shop (because of the back order).

That being said, we bought these cars for a reason: to enjoy drives EVEN to Lowe's. I bought a dashcam with both front and rear recording. I saw this app that will send a text if it detects movement in the car, but not sure how that would work.

Old 12-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Everything's fixable in America.

Still going to Lowe’s but parking the passenger side on an island, out a ways from the crowd.

Still thinking about a dash/rear cam. Stuck between Garmin Mini’s and the new Alpine DVR.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:08 AM

Finally repaired the bumper cover. Had them not put back the badges.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Looks good “nekkid”. For those folks behind you, If they don’t know what it is let them wonder!

Old 03-20-2021, 06:59 PM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

I just purchased a Rexing Rear View Mirror Dash Cam, model M2. About $230 through Best Buy.
This unit straps over the OEM mirror and features a forward facing camera, rear facing camera, g-sensor, mic, internal Li-ion battery, and GPS input.
My original motivation was to use the back-up camera feature (as visibility out the rear of the coupe is weak).
My second goal was to supplement my track days with video recordings of the laps (along with Harry's Lap Timer).

But I was also pleasantly surprised with the GPS function which gives accurate speed and location recording (to help validate my imaginary Cannonball Runs)
and the M2 mirror also gives Front Collision Warning, or Rear Blind Spot Warnings (you can activate one or the other).
You may find the Parking Attendant feature worth while, to record 20 seconds after any collision (internal li-ion battery powers the Parking Attendant for 24 hours after shutting car off)
There are so many features to benefit from with these "smart rear view mirrors"

Some dislikes... the mirrors are getting pretty big now (at 12" it is almost double the size of the stock F-type rearview) and they can block some forward vision.

https://www.rexingusa.com/products/rexing-m2/

Last edited by HermanWiegman; 03-20-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:19 AM

That RVM camera is interesting. I don't remember seeing it when I started researching dash cams.
I bought a 360 dash cam based on the recommendation of the Aston Martin YouTuber Brian Greenstone.
I have been reluctant to put it on the windscreen because I'm afraid the onliest A-Hole driver I'm going to catch doing something stupid will be me.
My original thought was to put it on the rear glass and only use it for parking but then I decided to just never take the Jag to Lowe's.
Why is it that all the grocery stores have angled parking and Lowe's and the Depot have 90 degree parking?

Quick Reply: Got backed into. Add dash cam or stop driving it to Lowe's?