F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a flat tire. UGG

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 07:20 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Got a flat tire. UGG

Something I found out recently. The F-Type does NOT have a spare or run-flat tires. Got a large puncture at an intersection. No fix a flat or plug could fill the hole. Took 3 different tow truck drivers to get it to a tire shop. First driver said the car would probably scrape and some damage might occur. I declined and ask for another flatbed driver. He showed up with the same scrapping answer, third driver showed up with wood to help prevent the car from getting damaged. He took his time and drove it up, no damage. Gave him a nice tip for loading the car correctly. Tire store had to order tire. What a pain in the ****.

This situation led me to two questions

1) what the heck would I do on a road trip in the middle of nowhere?

2) how can people put lowering springs on their F-Types. 😂

The following users liked this post:
VroomForTwo (04-22-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Most (all?) ROW (ie non North American) F-Types come with a space-saver spare, mine did.
A skinny thing on an orange or black coloured wheel rated for a max speed of 50 mph.
Saved my **** once when my front left tyre blew out on the freeway, although I had to wait a couple of hours for the ex-wife to pick it up from my garage and deliver it to me. I rarely carry it in the car as it takes up too much room and I have a coupe, in a 'vert it takes up roughly half of the available space, see the Top Gear / Jeremy Clarkson vid from a few years ago.
Jag supply two sizes of these, 18" and 19" and you need the 19" version for an F-Type.
If you search hard you can maybe find one for sale, plenty of 18" available but the 19" are tough to find and probably none in the US which means importing from the UK or Europe so not cheap. When I search on Fleabay Motors I can find hundreds of 18" but only one count 'em one 19" and that is in the UK, see here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/17632558886...0AAOSwIPFl7waZ

Then if you have a coupe you have the problem of finding the tie down equipment - a steel bracket with a threaded hole in it that mounts under the hatch floor, the threaded bar which goes through the centre hole in the wheel and clamps the wheel solidly to the floor cover, and the alternate floor cover which has a trimmed hole to accept the threaded bar. Dunno how it mounts in a 'vert but my guess is it uses a similar method. You can maybe get away with not mounting it at all and just letting it flop/slide around back there, if you are packing for a road trip then you could easily pack it in nice and tight.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Labsr4me (06-03-2024), stirlingsilver (04-22-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 08:07 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Most (all?) ROW (ie non North American) F-Types come with a space-saver spare, mine did.
A skinny thing on an orange or black coloured wheel rated for a max speed of 50 mph.
Saved my **** once when my front left tyre blew out on the freeway, although I had to wait a couple of hours for the ex-wife to pick it up from my garage and deliver it to me. I rarely carry it in the car as it takes up too much room and I have a coupe, in a 'vert it takes up roughly half of the available space, see the Top Gear / Jeremy Clarkson vid from a few years ago.
Jag supply two sizes of these, 18" and 19" and you need the 19" version for an F-Type.
If you search hard you can maybe find one for sale, plenty of 18" available but the 19" are tough to find and probably none in the US which means importing from the UK or Europe so not cheap. When I search on Fleabay Motors I can find hundreds of 18" but only one count 'em one 19" and that is in the UK, see here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/17632558886...0AAOSwIPFl7waZ

Then if you have a coupe you have the problem of finding the tie down equipment - a steel bracket with a threaded hole in it that mounts under the hatch floor, the threaded bar which goes through the centre hole in the wheel and clamps the wheel solidly to the floor cover, and the alternate floor cover which has a trimmed hole to accept the threaded bar. Dunno how it mounts in a 'vert but my guess is it uses a similar method. You can maybe get away with not mounting it at all and just letting it flop/slide around back there, if you are packing for a road trip then you could easily pack it in nice and tight.
Wow, really appreciate the response. I was about to buy an 18” on ebay. You saved me wasting my time and money. I have the P-400 so larger brakes too.

Do you know if the 19” spare from the XJ or the F-Pace would fit? Plenty over here in the States.

Thanks again 👍

Last edited by Polyesterpig; 04-20-2024 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, it should fit as long as it really is the 19" version. Those cars have the same bolt pattern, PCD and centre bore as F-Type wheels.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:53 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Don’t forget a jack and lug wrench.

Old 04-21-2024, 03:16 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Of course, on a road trip you'll have to choose between taking the spare wheel or taking luggage.

VroomForTwo (04-22-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 03:58 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

My UK V6 S has an inflator and a can of gunk you spray into the damaged tyre. Don't you have that on the USA ones?

Old 04-21-2024, 05:06 AM
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

I keep a set of tire plugs, a sidecutter, 2 cans of fix a flat and a small 12v air compressor on board, all stored in the beneath the trunk floor storage area.

Hopefully this is enough to get me to a tire store.

If it's a road trip and they (likely) don't have the Michelins, just put SOMETHING on that will fit till I get to where I can fix it right.

BEST !

RWS

Old 04-21-2024, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dibbyandco
My UK V6 S has an inflator and a can of gunk you spray into the damaged tyre. Don't you have that on the USA ones?
From the OP's post: "..... Got a large puncture at an intersection. No fix a flat or plug could fill the hole...."
So the goo + inflator had no chance of working.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Polyesterpig (04-23-2024), VroomForTwo (04-22-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 06:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
Something I found out recently. The F-Type does NOT have a spare or run-flat tires. ..... what the heck would I do on a road trip in the middle of nowhere? .....

The problem if touring with a vehicle full of luggage is, when you fit the spacesaver, there's nowhere to put the full size wheel. It certainly doesn't go in the same space in any model of Jaguar since the X300.

One of the first things I check with a new or new to me vehicle is the spare or sealant kit AND that I can get the wheels off. If some gorilla with an air wrench fitted them, you're not taking a wheel off at the roadside.

I carry the following for all eventualities:
1. spacesaver, jack, locknut key and wheelbrace
2. sealant kit with 12 volt inflator pump
3. tyre plug kit
4. hacksaw
5. recovery insurance

Happened to me twice where the tyre was not repairable. Once in rural France in the middle of the night and second time in Spain a very long way from help. The only way you're taking the wheel with you is cutting off the ruined tyre.

Graham

VroomForTwo (04-22-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 07:17 AM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

One other thought on this-the goo has an expiration date. When I bought my F-type, the goo was years out of date. It’s also hard to source on the internet. Found some at Harper Jaguar.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:49 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

My 2021 F Type does not have a spare, only the 12V inflator and can of goo. I live in fear of getting a puncture out on the highway somewhere and inspect the tires for foreign objects frequently.. I did buy one of the plug kits which I would rather use than the goo if the puncture is something like a nail. But Polyesterpig's puncture was catastrophic apparently.

Regarding the goo, it does have an expiration date on the can. Amazon does sell a suitable replacement:

Amazon Amazon

Old 04-21-2024, 09:46 AM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, my 2021 coupe also came with the tire inflator and goo; and these were totally useless for the two 'events' that happened to my LF tire. One was a large bolt that punctured the tire between threads (no tool to remove it, and most likely too large for the goo anyway) and the other slashed the sidewall (BIG pothole right in the middle of the post office driveway... and it's still there!!).

Fortunately, these occurred not too far from home. And triple A uses a local tower with plenty of tilt flatbed trucks that know to carry 2x4's and 2x6's for low-slung cars like the F-type. Still...*&^%

Good tip! I now plan to get one of those 19" spare wheels and store it at the house, which could have saved me days of grief, waiting, and cursing, had I known. Many thanks OzXFR!

FWIW, the P/N for the 19 spare wheel is T4A3592. Shop around for prices a/w/a shipping costs.

https://parts.harperjaguar.com/oem-p...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

Last edited by theEIger; 04-21-2024 at 09:52 AM. Reason: update info
OzXFR (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 11:10 AM
Received 441 Likes on 236 Posts

I carry the tire inflator and goo, but also a good plug kit. If it can't be fixed with that, then it's going to have to get towed on a ramp truck.

Carbuff2 (04-30-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

I've been lucky to only have 2 (near) incidents over the past 10 years. The first time was a low pressure warning while I was driving to the dealer for scheduled service. The MY14 doesn't give a numeric value, so I just got out for a visual inspection. Things looked OK, so I carefully continued to the dealer. Fortunately, the hole was small and they plugged it for no charge. Still, it made me all the happier when I ditched the original P-Zero's. The second time was on a road trip with wife/luggage. As we came out from a store, the front wheels were turned enough to clearly see a good-sized nail head in the tread. Gingerly, I headed for the nearest tire store. I was fortunate that it turned out to be broken off and only be a fraction of an inch long. No damage.

Meanwhile, I carry the standard pump/goo kit with an added patch kit, cutter, tire gauge, and AAA+ card - just in case. Not losing any sleep.

Carbuff2 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a 19" as well. what did you end up buying and did it work? can you post a pic?

Thanks,

John

Old 04-30-2024, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
Wow, really appreciate the response. I was about to buy an 18” on ebay. You saved me wasting my time and money. I have the P-400 so larger brakes too.

Do you know if the 19” spare from the XJ or the F-Pace would fit? Plenty over here in the States.

Thanks again 👍

Did you decide to buy the XJ or F-Pace 10" spare? If so, how did it go? Did it fit? Thanks

Old 05-01-2024, 10:19 AM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Labsr4me
I need a 19" as well. what did you end up buying and did it work? can you post a pic?

Thanks,

John
Yup, I did. After surfing around, I found a new one available at landleaping.com. I've dealt with them before and am pretty satisfied. With shipping, the cost was about what it took to replace the first P-Zero when it was punctured. I ordered it on 4/21 and it was delivered by UPS on 4/25.

Haven't had a chance for a detailed comparison yet, which I want to do before buying a tire for it. But the size, width, and bolt pattern looks correct. And the labels on the box match the correct part number for a 2021 F-type with 20" wheels (after confirming that P/N T4A3592 is for 20" wheels and P/N C2Z25110 is for 19" wheels".

I'll plan on posting a pix after I get this all done. In the meantime, attached are pix of the manufacturer's label and the wheel itself.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:33 PM
Default Would

Something like this:

https://ez-sparewheel.com/products/20x5-spare-tire-wheel-for-5-lug-wheel-fits-18-19-20-21-wheel-vehicles

work as a spare? Up to 55 mph to get you home and should fit in the coupe trunk.

Old 05-02-2024, 06:09 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No can do with a convertible - Regardless if you have a space saver spare that fits in the trunk, the existing wheel with the flat will not fit back in there. You'll need to leave your nice wheel on the side of the road.

I was on a 3 day driving tour and had a sidewall get sliced driving the Ozarks (Arkansas) on a Saturday morning. Called tire shops as well as the only Jaguar dealer in the state (Fayetteville) nobody had the tire.

Had to google search what size tires would fit on a 20" x 10.5" wheel and started calling back around to find any tire to fit the rim -- finally found one in Mena, Arkansas (see Tom Cruise movie "American Made"). The tire shop stayed open late (closes at noon on Saturdays) and the entire crew stayed late to see an "F-type" delivered on a flat bed from an hour away (I don't remember what city/area I had the flat in).

$600 later was able to finish my weekend tour of the Ozarks and made it back to Dallas on an oddball sized tire. I sold the new tire and the other rear for about $50/each on FB marketplace and bought two new rear tires.

I travel with a plug/patch kit and a can of fix a flat but none of that helped with a sidewall slash in the backwoods of Arkansas.

Quick Reply: Got a flat tire. UGG