F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPF, Canadian vs US cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 07:01 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts
Default GPF, Canadian vs US cars

Are new F-types coming to Canada and the US set up identically in terms of how emission standards are met at this point? Same GPF filter setup etc? Googling around I kinda got the impression that Canada seems to generally follow the US EPA?

Does anybody know right off for sure? Can't seem to be able to easily pull that information out of the forum search, and certainly not from the Googleverse.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Starting in MY22, all F-Types now have a GPF as JLR wanted to standardize all markets. They are not required in any US state (yet) but it wouldn't surprise me if the CARB states (California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington) soon require them as they are trying to once again significantly raise the threshold for emissions standards in an effort to make ICE vehicles obsolete).

The UK has had them since MY19.

Last edited by Thunder Dump; 01-16-2024 at 07:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Thunder Dump:
DMeister (01-17-2024), LaserMark4 (01-18-2024), OzXFR (01-16-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 04:53 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
Starting in MY22, all F-Types now have a GPF as JLR wanted to standardize all markets. They are not required in any US state (yet) but it wouldn't surprise me if the CARB states (California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington) soon require them as they are trying to once again significantly raise the threshold for emissions standards in an effort to make ICE vehicles obsolete).

The UK has had them since MY19.
Thanks man

I take delivery of a 2024 R in a few months. People keep going on in various places on the Interwebs about how much better the original generation car sounds. Other than the burble tune aspect, when I listen to Youtube vides of the newer cars (usually cars in the US) they sound pretty darn amazing to me. Other than the burble tune differences I don't think they sound all that different. I'm happy to not have the crazy levels of burble tune anyway myself. A bit is fine, but some of the videos of SVRs I've seen, that is a little over the top for my personal liking. To each their own. It sounds like I should be able to expect that the videos I've watched are representative of Canadian cars. 2022 and beyond Canadian cars that I've seen on Youtube seemed the same, but I just wanted to check if there were any known differences, a consensus on that, etc....Sounds like the cars for North America are the same based on your comments. Lines up with what I thought.

The following users liked this post:
LaserMark4 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

My Canadian-market V6S had the patch done years ago - and I was and am delighted. The exhaust note is beautifully deep and the burbling always present, but the exhaust noise not raucous. I am not a boy racer so I don’t need the constant crackle and pop to tell me and others that I am important and craving attention (but it is still there at times). Best of all, I no longer have to start the F-Type with the garage doors closed so as to not annoy the neighbours.

The Canadian and US cars are almost certain to be similar with respect to the GPF because of the harmonization of the auto industries in the two countries.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:51 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
My Canadian-market V6S had the patch done years ago - and I was and am delighted. The exhaust note is beautifully deep and the burbling always present, but the exhaust noise not raucous. I am not a boy racer so I don’t need the constant crackle and pop to tell me and others that I am important and craving attention (but it is still there at times). Best of all, I no longer have to start the F-Type with the garage doors closed so as to not annoy the neighbours.

The Canadian and US cars are almost certain to be similar with respect to the GPF because of the harmonization of the auto industries in the two countries.
I resent the implication that I'm a "boy racer".
I don't enlist the crackles and pops for anyone other than myself and an occasional like minded occupant. All alone on a winding country road I will play the exhaust notes like a finely tuned violin and smile the broadest of smiles as the happiness wells up in my very soul!

The following 4 users liked this post by SassySarah:
Carbuff2 (01-19-2024), Chuckster (01-18-2024), Gearhead01 (01-18-2024), LaserMark4 (01-18-2024)