Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great List

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default All the same

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
You nailed what my unconscious was trying to figure out. It wanted to be a Tron car, it felt like a Tron car, but it knew it was just dressed up for Halloween.

That VW is not ugly. A comment someone made... calling some of those cars "beautiful" is like saying the Terminator is pretty.
Designed in wind tunnels.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default What are you guys assuming that...

this list is in any particular order. I read it as ten beautiful cars, not with any particular ranking...

Usually when theres a ranking, the #1 spot is presented with the award either in the text or with a verbal "and the winner is..."

I think some are assuming that because the #1 spot is occupied by an F, it somehow implies that the Jag is the most beautiful car in the world! Probably because most of us commenting - own F's.

"This list has what we consider to be the ultimate collection of automotive elegance on sale today:"

Read the meaning of the word...."list", like a grocery list, doesn't imply milk is better than eggs just because it is the first item.

Shifting gears:

And for those that actually think the i8 has anything to do with an old Z car has never seen one in person I assure you. The car is simply amazing in person and I would trade my F for one in a heartbeat. Go spend the day with one in person, you'll see.

I own a stunning looking F that captures the imagination of all who see it, everywhere I go, but my level of sheer emotion in terms of beauty doesn't rise to the level of three other cars that I had the chance to covet: The F388, the AM Vanquish, and the BMW i8. Those three cars will literally will stop traffic - In no particular order! Take these three cars out of the equation and then now were in F territory.

It is very rewarding to know that we did make the list and deservedly so, but lets be real...The most beautiful car in the world? #1?

Better looking than:

RR drophead?
Bentley GT?
La Ferrari?
Lambo Aventador?

Please.

Lets start by making Maserati GT and Audi R8 comparisons without getting too carried away, OK?

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-06-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
this list is in any particular order. I read it as ten beautiful cars, not in any particular ranking...

Usually when theres a ranking, the #1 spot is presented with the award either in the text or with a verbal "and the winner is..."

I think we are assuming that because the #1 spot is occupied by the F, it somehow is the most beautiful car in the world! Probably because most of us commenting own F's.

"This list has what we consider to be the ultimate collection of automotive elegance on sale today:"

Read the meaning of the word...."list", like a grocery list, doesn't imply milk is better than eggs just because it is the first item.

And for those that actually think the i8 has anything to do with an old Z car has never seen one in person, I assure you. The car is amazing and I would trade my F for one in a heartbeat. Go spend the day with one in person, you'll see.
I agree - that milk isn't better than eggs (although try eating your cereal in eggs) - that the list isn't necessarily in any order although our F's are with a "1" designation on that list, followed by a/the (?) writer saying "I Spent The Weekend Driving The Most Beautiful Car I've Ever Seen - The Jaguar F-Type Coupe". [re] The BMW i8, as I mentioned in another post, I loved the way it looked based on a cursory glance - and sitting in it - and if I had the $'s, would consider it as part of my car collection***. Other obligations, including paying for medical school, prevent me from adding at the present time. Of course I did just pay for a year's worth of twice weekly lottery tickets, so anything is possible.

P.S. Making any "Top-Ten" or whatever list is a lesson in futility for many reasons. For literary purposes, or just for the hell of it, it might make sense (I have several "Top Ten" lists of many of some of the things I am passionate about; including music, film, books, and even food - and within those categories, even sub-categories - which clients and friends have been interested in). And I could easily create an alternative list to many of those I mentioned.

***And, of course, test driving it. I would love to hear more about PolkNole's thought's [re] his brother's i8...not that I am even contemplating getting one.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-06-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

this list is in any particular order. I read it as ten beautiful cars, not with any particular ranking...

I think some are assuming that because the #1 spot is occupied by an F, it somehow implies that the Jag is the most beautiful car in the world! Probably because most of us commenting - own F's.

Shifting gears:

And for those that actually think the i8 has anything to do with an old Z car has never seen one in person I assure you. The car is simply amazing in person and I would trade my F for one in a heartbeat. Go spend the day with one in person, you'll see.

I own a stunning looking F that captures the imagination of all who see it, everywhere I go, but my level of sheer emotion in terms of beauty doesn't rise to the level of three other cars that I had the chance to covet: The F388, the AM Vanquish, and the BMW i8. Those three cars will literally will stop traffic - In no particular order! Take these three cars out of the equation and then now were in F territory.

It is very rewarding to know that we did make the list and deservedly so, but lets be real...The most beautiful car in the world? #1?

Please.
Yes, the F-Type IS his #1 choice. As RickyJay52 states, this author also wrote this article calling the F-Type R the most beautiful car he's ever seen: Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Review - Business Insider

As for the i8, I have spent time with one (my brother owns one) and I would never trade for it. So many concessions made for so little enhancement, if at all over the F-Type R. Plus the rear is butt ugly. And the actual engine, I have as its a mini Cooper engine (I own a mini too). So for engine noise, it plays this completely artificial noise over the car speakers. Pretty pathetic. And the body is plastic? But to each their own.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PolkNole
Yes, the F-Type IS his #1 choice. As RickyJay52 states, this author also wrote this article calling the F-Type R the most beautiful car he's ever seen: Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Review - Business Insider

As for the i8, I have spent time with one (my brother owns one) and I would never trade for it. So many concessions made for so little enhancement, if at all over the F-Type R. Plus the rear is butt ugly. And the actual engine, I have as its a mini Cooper engine (I own a mini too). So for engine noise, it plays this completely artificial noise over the car speakers. Pretty pathetic. And the body is plastic? But to each their own.
Thats a different article. If the author wanted the reader to KNOW that he felt the F was occupying the #1 spot as the "The Most Beautiful Car in the World", trust me, he would have made it very clear in the list article. At best, he left himself a bit of wiggle room by making this vague claim in entirely another article.

He's then clearly a shill for Jag. Look at the media....Business Insider! He has an agenda.

He's a buffoon for stating this, and we'd be buffoons for believing it.

I can literally list 20 cars that crush an F in terms of looks. Lets' be serious. You can't believe he truthfully believes this without an agenda.

Shock value makes for good copy.

As a car guy, who owns a F Coupe, I could never bring myself to make such an irresponsible statement even in our own forum. And admit it, If a writer for Road and Track or Automobile made the same outrageous statement, he'd be ridiculed right out of a job and lose so much credibility that he'd find it difficult to ever get another in the field.

I just love the way my F looks but I'm not delusional.

Please.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-06-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thats a different article.

He's then clearly a shill for Jag. He's a buffoon for stating this, and we are buffoons for believing it.

I can literally list 20 cars that crush an F in terms of looks.

Lets' be serious. You can't believe he truthfully thinks this without agenda.

Beauty, of any kind, is in the eye of the beholder. Rating anything "best" or most "beautiful" is a waste of time (and I wouldn't take any list - even one of my own - too seriously). I'm also quite certain many writers have an agenda of one kind or another but that's also why no one should take just about anything written with more than a grain of salt*.

*Including what I've just written .

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-06-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:50 PM

Thats a different article.

He's then clearly a shill for Jag. Look at the media....Business Insider! He has an agenda.

He's a buffoon for stating this, and we are buffoons for believing it.

I can literally list 20 cars that crush an F in terms of looks.

Lets' be serious. You can't believe he truthfully believes this without an agenda.

As a car guy, who owns a F Coupe, I could never bring myself to make such an irresponsible statement even in our own forum. And admit it, If a writer for Roan and Track or Automobile made the same outrageous statement, he'd be ridiculed right out of a job and lose so much credibility that he'd find it difficult to ever get another in the field.

Please.
I know its a different article - that's what I said. Same writer - calls the F-Type R the most beautiful he's ever seen - then same guy makes a Top 10 list where the F-Type R is listed. Doesn't take much logic to put the Jag at his #1.

So polarisnavyxj, is CAR AND DRIVER a shill too? Because they too put out a Top 10 list of the most beautiful cars, and their #1 choice over ALL other cars? Yepp...you guessed it...

Old 07-06-2016, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

I know its a different article - that's what I said. Same writer - calls the F-Type R the most beautiful he's ever seen - then same guy makes a Top 10 list where the F-Type R is listed. Doesn't take much logic to put the Jag at his #1.

So polarisnavyxj, is CAR AND DRIVER a shill too? Because they too put out a Top 10 list of the most beautiful cars, and their #1 choice over ALL other cars? Yepp...you guessed it...

I haven't seen the article or list but if they're comparing to cars in its class like GT's, R8's, M6's, GTR's, C63's, AM Vantage, I'd buy it because the F is stunning.

If they're comparing the F to exotics and supercars then I feel the same.

The article says "available today" so I'm assuming its trying to be responsible in its lists content. Not listing cars that you need to get on some waiting list or need to be a celebrity to buy. Now if these lists are weighing certain cars because they look exotic but can be used for everyday driving then the F goes waaaay up the list. It may be the best looking daily driver ever made which is why I pulled the trigger. That goes a looooong way in my book as I have no use for a GQ.

That would immediately disqualify F's, Lambo's, Bugatti's, Mclaren's right off the list.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-06-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:08 PM

I haven't seen the article or list but if they're comparing to cars in its class like GT's, R8's, M6's, GTR's, C63's, AM Vantage, I'd buy it because the F is stunning.

If they're comparing the F to exotics and supercars then I feel the same.

The article says "cars you can buy" so I'm assuming its trying to be responsible in its content.
It is apparently ANY car available to purchase today - it even has an SUV on the list. I like this list better than the Business Insider list, but in the end, they agree on thee most gorgeous car available...and it's the F-Type Coupe.

CAR AND DRIVER's Top 10 Most Beautiful Cars Today:

10. Audi R8
9. Land Rover Range Rover
8. Porsche 911
7. Cadillac ELR
6. Lamborghini Huracán LP610-4
5. Aston Martin V8 Vantage
4. Mercedes-Benz S-class Coupe
3. Ferrari 458 Italia
2. Alfa Romeo 4C Spider
1. Jaguar F-Type Coupe

Old 07-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

It is apparently ANY car available to purchase today - it even has an SUV on the list. I like this list better than the Business Insider list, but in the end, they agree on thee most gorgeous car available...and it's the F-Type Coupe.

CAR AND DRIVER's Top 10 Most Beautiful Cars Today:

10. Audi R8
9. Land Rover Range Rover
8. Porsche 911
7. Cadillac ELR
6. Lamborghini Huracán LP610-4
5. Aston Martin V8 Vantage
4. Mercedes-Benz S-class Coupe
3. Ferrari 458 Italia
2. Alfa Romeo 4C Spider
1. Jaguar F-Type Coupe
Can a Cadillac knock a Vanquish off any real list?
Can a Vantage knock a Vanquish off any real list?
Can a Rover knock a La Ferrari off any real list?
Can An Alfa knock an i8 off any real list?
Can an S Class knock a Maybach off any real list?
Can an F-Type knock a F488 off any real list?

Where are the Bentleys, the RR's?,

Let's get serious here.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-06-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:22 PM

Can a Cadillac knock a Vanquish off any list?
Can a Vantage knock a Vanquish off any list?
Can a RR knock a La Ferrari off any list?
Can An Alfa knock an i8 off any list?
Can an S Class knock a F488 off any list?

Let's get serious here.
I think C&D's comment on their list here was meant for you...

Before your fingers hit that keyboard to post angry comments because your Toyota Yaris didn’t make the list, let us point out that, while aesthetics are subjective, these cars were chosen by our staffers based on a definition of “beauty” that includes not just attractiveness but also cohesiveness and purity of design. Okay, now you can ream us in the comments section.

And no, the i8 doesn't deserve to be anywhere near this list. The rear is an utter mish mash.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

RickyJay52 "folds". Good luck gentlemen.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Before your fingers hit that keyboard to post angry comments because your Toyota Yaris didn’t make the list, let us point out that, while aesthetics are subjective, these cars were chosen by our staffers based on a definition of “beauty” that includes not just attractiveness but also cohesiveness and purity of design. Okay, now you can ream us in the comments section.

And no, the i8 doesn't deserve to be anywhere near this list. The rear is an utter mish mash.
"Purity of design and cohesiveness"

Give me a break.

You sit a Range Rover next to a La Ferrari and like an art appraiser, you're going to look at the Range and tell me how pure it is in relationship to the Ferrari?

Further, I think we are all aware about what happens on these lists and the comparos. Wasn't there a big scandal about manufacturers who advertise getting better treatment by the mags in terms of reviews? Could that be why a Scirocco made the list over any Ferrari made?

Funny, I havnt seen a Ferrari ad in R & T in like ever, in fact none of the exotics advertise.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-06-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
RickyJay52 "folds". Good luck gentlemen.
I raise: All In.

Next hand dealer.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

C'mon, guys. Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think!

(I want to see more exercise in futility)

Old 07-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
C'mon, guys. Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think!

(I want to see more exercise in futility)
We can all agree that we all have different tastes in cars.

Please don't assume I ever made that to be the point here but when a publication, any publication states that the F is the most beautiful car available, I'm sure any reasonable car guy, or his wife, can all agree than theres something fishy in the town of Denmark, or however that phrase goes.

I'm not trying to do a "my car looks better than yours" commentary. Just to point out the shock journalism in this case. In fact I was perfectly fine with the F being on the list, had the list been an unranked one as I initially assumed. That's quite a feat in itself.

Jackpots $508m!!!

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-06-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I have not met one single person, including Porsche, Lambo, and vette people who have not said the F type R coupe (or at least mine as it was the reference point) is the most beautiful... not the best track car, or the fastest or whatever, but the most beautiful. So, I'll take their word for it, along with others who are not really into cars quite so much and of course the magazine staffers... Now some of these people may have been just simply polite, however most of them are quite outspoken.

So, I agree with you and yes, the i8 is a design nightmare in comparison and does not get picked as even in the same league.. maybe if they published a top 50 it might make the list.

And today I drove someones Hyndia Sante fe to drop something off as it had the storage area that I needed.. and I enjoyed it.. nice SUV and a lot more practical than my Ftype, but not quite so beautiful.

Oh ya, and we are on a F type forum.
Lawrence

Old 07-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I have not met one single person, including Porsche, Lambo, and vette people who have not said the F type R coupe (or at least mine as it was the reference point) is the most beautiful... not the best track car, or the fastest or whatever, but the most beautiful. So, I'll take their word for it, along with others who are not really into cars quite so much and of course the magazine staffers... Now some of these people may have been just simply polite, however most of them are quite outspoken.

So, I agree with you and yes, the i8 is a design nightmare in comparison and does not get picked as even in the same league.. maybe if they published a top 50 it might make the list.

And today I drove someones Hyndia Sante fe to drop something off as it had the storage area that I needed.. and I enjoyed it.. nice SUV and a lot more practical than my Ftype, but not quite so beautiful.

Oh ya, and we are on a F type forum.
Lawrence
The jackpot's $508m.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

If I had to say of the cars I've seen (and we dont get some of the hypercars here, or at least I dont see them) :
1.the f type would be as pretty as anything I've seen (pips the aston in looks which is getting a little same same IMO, though the new ones might be fresher;
2. the i8 is the most futuristic car I've seen, though it isnt gorgeous and doesnt really make me want one;
3. the 599 GTO (in matt black) is the most beautifully brutal looking car I've seen, it literally gave me goosebumps and I'd have one in a heartbeat.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

For the record,
I don't think the BMW i8 is beautiful in any way. It certainly looks better in a single dark color than the white ones with all the wild contrasting trim. The dark mono colored models effectively hide all of the superfluous, overwrought body details that are on the i8's surface. These details detract (for me) from what could and should be a streamlined smooth body shape in favor of busy details that obliterate that goal. And the rear "wings" above the tail lights remind me of a 1960 Buick Invicta. At least the Invicta had a graceful transition to the rear, the i8 seems to have everything tacked on for effect. Jaguars have always been about the simplicity and sensuality of the body whether it's an F-type, a D-type, E-type, or XK. The F-type and all of its predecessors have earned the accolades for beauty and grace because of this philosophy. BMW has produced some wonderful examples, as well (with this philosophy) such as the Z8, so they know how to do it too.

Quick Reply: Great List