F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A great ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 01:49 PM
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts
Default A great ride

Bought our 2017 R brand new, for a few years it was a daily driver. It has slipped into casual use since, driven regularly but not racking up the miles. All stock, except Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S’ and a fair bit of Xpel around the front, rocker panels etc.
As a lifetime Lotus owner, I always considered the big F to be more a GT than a sports car, and so that’s how it’s been used in Florida. This last week we spent 2000 miles driving the back country roads of Tennessee, South and North Carolina and northern Georgia, paired with an MX5 on the same tires. What a revelation!
We pounded both cars over all the back-country roads we could find including the Tail of the Dragon. Actually we found a number of routes that were more challenging than the TOTD, with far less use. For the first time I saw the real personality of the car.
The brakes were great, and the Michelins far exceeded the grip and confidence of the original Pirellis and the motor pulled like a train. With the original battery, and old style plastic coolant tubes and original water pump nothing broke or leaked and it burned no oil despite the hard use. Yeah, the steering isn’t as communicative as a Lotus, but once you learn to speak it’s language it’s just fine. I returned to Florida with a whole new appreciation for the car. Too bad so few people will ever know…

The following 10 users liked this post by SJones:
DJS (09-17-2023), Gearhead01 (09-16-2023), J444G (09-22-2023), jcb-memphis (09-18-2023), MajorTom (09-18-2023), Mbourne (09-17-2023), mrlooneytoon (09-17-2023), sov211 (09-16-2023), VroomForTwo (09-18-2023), YRS (09-16-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-19-2023, 07:10 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I totally agree. I cut my teeth autocrossing in Miami with the legendary John Kendrick (chief machinist for National Air Lines) and his custom tube frame turbocharged mini Cooper S. He later built the Pink Panther that dominated the Bay Bottom Crawl and likely still holds the record today. His mantra was weight is the enemy. My bud at Tech in ME was the origin behind the Miata (Norman Garrett) - he got me hooked into racing cars (then autocross). I've driven fun ones including my FFR Cobra Replica that truly embodies Kendrick's mantra (2200 lbs, 375 ft. lbs of torque on a very flat torque curve). That car even with R compound tires, I had to upsize the tires so I didn't have to work the throttle finesse so much (too easy to spin the tires). My boys learned to drive a stick shift in that car also autocrossing. Later road racing Mustangs doing many track events with cars - my first outing in this car impressed me immensely. I initially thought it was waaayyyy too heavy - but as you noted - it's easy to learn to drive and despite it's pork, it does high speed driving so very well. I've loved this car since the day I bought it. I've been on the track 4 times with it and other than the Pzeros it never let me down. I also have the P4Ss and they are phenomenal. If only this was the car I drove at the ring the 3 times I've been over there.

The following 2 users liked this post by inmanlanier:
SJones (09-29-2023), sov211 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I still consider it a GT but on the sporty side of GT, rather than the GT side of Sport. Opinions will vary depending on the available roads

The first time I got some open road on a twisty section that was ideal at 35-80mph it all made sense. What a joy. For a road that's more 20-60, it's a lot of work and the weight really makes itself known. I expect that with the 8AT there'd be a little difference, but there's definitely a sweet spot where the weight isn't in the way and the quality of the chassis and suspension can shine.

Old 09-22-2023, 02:32 PM
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

This "sport" vs "GT" debate is purely academical, because it is completely relative to what you compare it with. I have a friend who is pushing me the idea of "cayman is the purest sports car" and I always come back with "I actually sit in car designed for sports events and there were no radio nor leather" haha.

Anyway, F-type is very capable and I agree it is not best suited for the smallest country roads like Miata is, but for more open B-roads it is spot on. This is true even for supercars which are "more sporty" than f-type. It is not just the weight, but the overall size and performance window.

For what F-type is, the absolutely great compromise between sporty and touring car, in comfort, excitement and style, I think it stands in a category on its own. The closest car to F-type V8 is AMG GT IMO, and for the price of V6 F-type there is nothing.

Old 09-24-2023, 09:25 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The other car that could be compared to the F-Type is the C8 Vette, both costing about the same, being 2-seaters, and V8s. I'd forgo the Z51 package, and equip it with Magneride and sport exhaust, and the 3LT trim, to be comparable to a fully-loaded RWD I'd buy. Having said that, I probably wouldn't take my F-Type or C8 to the dragon, but that's just me. It is a very technical road if you push the envelope a little, but it's too tight for a car, especially for a heavy and powerful one. There are much nicer roads in that area for cars, like the Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway, and others (Hwy 28 south of 74, for example), but the dragon is awesome for motorcycles. On a car, you just eat up your tires with those slow-speed twisties, and it's not much fun; at least not for me. I caught up a few powerful sporty cars (Mustangs, Camaros, etc) on my cousin's little SV650 (on my sig) at the dragon, having a hard time controlling their cars with all the under and over-steer. But on faster curves, and with their summer grippy tires, they should walk away from me, especially on that little bike.