Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Track day at Goodwood

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 06:22 PM
BHF
Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Track Addict

I have no affiliation with them but check out “Track Addict app. I have it on my phone and used it for track days. It can load maps for most tracks and gives you mph, g’s, lap times and video. Easy to use and fun to have the video and data.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
It all depends upon your priorities. If you're just there for the experience and don't care about the lap times, great. If lap times do matter, physics dictates that weight is something to be rid of. Period. It's all about what the driver wants, so for "whiners", lap times matter.
That is not entirely correct. It really depends on the track. All things being equal (i.e. using the same tires), on a track with long straights like say Road Atlanta, it will favor horsepower (with increased weight) rather than low weight. On a smaller twisty track, it will favor low weight vs horsepower (with increased weight).

NASA Pro Racing uses power to weight for their classing. Which means you can low power low weight vs higher power higher weight. Depending on the track one version is better than the other. I race a S2000. I didn't go to the national championships a few years back, but I had some friends go. There was nothing they could do at that track with the heavier cars in class running more power. As soon as those cars hit the straights, they were just gone due to the horsepower.

For competition, what is done to keep it from getting out of hand is that they limit the tire size of the heavier cars. Otherwise, they just get heavier, and heavier with more power but still keep the same power to weight ratio. So there is a sweet spot in there but it does depend on the tracks.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:15 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

Good and interesting points about the track capabilities and weight. Fully agree that the F-Type's weight generally speaking isn't good for its handling and there are definitely better track cars. As said it's all about priorities, expectations and what you compare to.

To me the F-Type is what it is, something between a sports car (whatever that is) and a GT with the weight it has, which dictates my expectations. I've seen comments elsewhere along the lines of "it sucks on track because it's so heavy, I have to get a Lotus again" and that's the reasoning I don't get. It's like some people get these cars without knowing the specs or have strange expectations. It just seems odd to compare its track handling to something much lighter like a Lotus or Alpine, which you then of course also can find too heavy if you compare to something like a Caterham or Ariel and so on.

So it's really nice to see threads like this where the OP clearly "gets" the car and can enjoy it on track.

The following users liked this post:
dibbyandco (05-07-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 03:52 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Regarding comments about different types of track cars: most of the posts above are from people far more used to racing than me, and I'm sure are correct, but the thing is I didn't buy the F as a track car. I bought it because I like the looks, the way it drives, the relative comfort, the room in the trunk (it's a coupe) and the fact that I like jags. The fact that it also seems pretty good around the track is a plus. Incidentally, I was closely following (surprisingly!) a 617 bhp beast down towards St Mary's, a tight left hander; he went off big time, I went round the bend. Actually, I couldn't help but watch him as he span into the long grass, which nearly made me miss the bend! Something seasoned racers obviously have to learn - keep your eyes on the track!

Old 05-06-2022, 04:23 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by dibbyandco
... Something seasoned racers obviously have to learn - keep your eyes on the track!
Not just eyes - wheels too!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
BruceTheQuail (05-06-2022), dibbyandco (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Not just eyes - wheels too!

Old 05-06-2022, 09:36 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Good and interesting points about the track capabilities and weight. Fully agree that the F-Type's weight generally speaking isn't good for its handling and there are definitely better track cars. As said it's all about priorities, expectations and what you compare to.

To me the F-Type is what it is, something between a sports car (whatever that is) and a GT with the weight it has, which dictates my expectations. I've seen comments elsewhere along the lines of "it sucks on track because it's so heavy, I have to get a Lotus again" and that's the reasoning I don't get. It's like some people get these cars without knowing the specs or have strange expectations. It just seems odd to compare its track handling to something much lighter like a Lotus or Alpine, which you then of course also can find too heavy if you compare to something like a Caterham or Ariel and so on.

So it's really nice to see threads like this where the OP clearly "gets" the car and can enjoy it on track.
Well put. I get annoyed when the F-type is compared to, well, nearly anything, because such comparisons always ignore the entire package - for me, the looks were the main reason I bought one. When comparisons are made, people pick and choose what's most important to them at the moment. To say the car performs poorly on-track will always be true if compared to something faster, duh. The car is heavy, so it'll struggle on-track, but is that why people buy it.... No.

It's human nature to bias comparisons in one's favor and this is especially prevalent in car forums. The two comparisons that annoy me most are: "My modified X will beat unmodified car Y any day", and "That car wouldn't last five minutes off-road like my 4x4 truck." I guess if that's what it takes to deal with feeling of inadequacy... Getting back on track (see what I did there), the F-Type can be enjoyed on-track as long as the owner understands the context. Other cars may be faster, but they'll never be as pretty.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:54 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
Other cars may be faster, but they'll never be as pretty.
Pretty? Astons are pretty - the F-Type is drop dead gorgeous!

The following users liked this post:
dibbyandco (05-06-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 04:09 PM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Re the Goodwood track day, was that an open event or via one of the Jaguar clubs ?

Old 05-10-2022, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Calvert
Re the Goodwood track day, was that an open event or via one of the Jaguar clubs ?
It was with the jaguar Drivers' Club. Each year, on early May bank holiday, we rent the circuit for a day, together with the Goodwood Marshalls. It is for our use only plus guests; all guests are welcome. Although a Jag affair, other cars are welcome. We have quite a few Caterhams, Lotus's (is that lotii?), a morgan or two and so on. Next year, it will be on May 1st. If anyone on here wants to come, they will be very welcome. Just contact me. We limit the day to 60 cars, and members are given first choice, so if you do fancy it then you need to get in early.