Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gripes....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Gripes....

Hey all,

I'm a new F-Type R owner, and while I can say I'm in lust, I can't yet say I'm in love....don't get me wrong I love driving the car...but there are some initial quality issues that, quite frankly, are ******* me off...

They are as follows:

1. Climate Control can't hold its temperature. I'm on the East Coast, and it's cold here. The car blows cold air at me even when it's on 75. Even if it gets warm after a cold start, it then thinks it's too hot and then blows in coldish air....I'm always uncomfortable and playing with the temperature knob. Sucks. I brought it to my dealer and they reprogrammed it after they saw it couldn't hold a temperature....didn't work....I don't have time to go back and forth so I'm going to wait until it goes back in next month for the recalls.

2. Panel behind rear seat is loose and buzzing with the bass....dealer checked it out and it was cut too short so it never fit right....really?!

3. Panoramic roof squeaks with lateral flex. Body is so rigid the roof seals squeak....I have no idea why a company as great as Jaguar just can't get their roofs/sunroof seals to not squeak and creak. Known problem on the XF and XJ's....

4. Air bag sensor recall....I have a 9 year old....c'mon, this is crazy....

5. Wiring harness recall....sigh

Don't get me wrong, this is my second Jaguar so I do truly love the brand, but this is their $100,000 flagship. These cars have to be perfect....

My XFR wasn't perfect and I stayed on top of it...but I find that I don't have the time to keep going back and forth to a dealer for silly quality control stuff...

Anyone have these issues? Share your thoughts ...

Old 12-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Every car company has these problems. Its a nature of the business, especially for a vehicle in its first year (coupe) of production. Quality control is much more complicated than just finding a problem and fixing it, and the smaller a company is the more difficult it becomes to catch issues before they make it into the customers hands. Auto makers only test a small percentage of what they actually produce and sell (like 0.01%) for perceived quality issues like this because it is so expensive to test them. Its very easy for problems to slip through the cracks, and it isn't until you bring your vehicle into the dealer that Jaguar is made aware of the issue and can begin working on a fix in many cases.

The climate control issue is something that should have been caught. But the other issues are common place in even the highest quality vehicle, and Jaguar certainly hasn't been known for great electrical wiring over the years...

Old 12-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

As stated, many, probably most car manufacturers, have issues in their early models after release, generally sorted out as they go along, with updates, tsb's and fixes etc

Its always nice to have the brand new latest top of the range all singing all dancing model that everyone's talking about, but perhaps to some degree this is part of the price.

These teething issues are resolved as they move through the production years, again generally speaking, I've seen it with many cars over the years.

Not what you want to hear I know, and certainly not what you expect from a car of that pedigree either.

Keep on top of your dealer and or speak with Jaguar direct as necessary to find a resolution

Good luck

Old 12-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

XFactoR,

You are the first and only person I've heard mention the climate control and pano roof issues. I do recall you asking about the former a few weeks back, and I don't recall you received any comparable gripes.

Mine in the convertible works perfectly, is always comfortable, and I don't have any of the other issues. Individual cars of all makes do have isolated issues, and I agree that is unfortunate when it happens to you.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:32 PM

I have always had patience with the cars I buy because I rather drive a car I love than an appliance.

Like I said, I had the original XFR, and loved it notwithstanding a few teething issues...I guess I just expected more this time around....

Old 12-22-2014, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

The recalls are for products not manufactured properly, probably by a sub contractor. Only problem I've had is the known O2 sensor. Now that roof is up for season I do notice more wind noise from the side of car, will have dealer check next time car goes in, seals, windows, etc.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand and share your frustration with the quality control xFactorR. Its never fun to have your excitement for a new car tamed down by quality issues. Jaguar has certainly improved a ton but is still not perfect in that aspect (as very few actually are)

In the 500 kms I've done during my week of ownership, I haven't had many issues....my start/stop system did act funny twice refusing to restart in traffic and I need a new seal on my canvas top as it is somehow wedged in in the roof. Both not a big deal but enough to warrant a visit to the dealership. I also had my interior lights turn on themselvs randomly during my drive home last Saturday.

Dealer has been somehow greatly supportive and understanding so it softens things. I tend to forgive however as soon as I turn it on and go for a drive.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I also have a Maserati Ghibli, you guys should count yourselves very fortunate, me included, with our Jags! Jag problems are fixable in reasonable time, Maserati's are stupid and take forever for them to figure out ( manufacturer) and even longer to provide parts.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:11 PM

I always thought that the Ghibli was a much better product than prior Maseratis...what kind of problems have you had?

Old 12-24-2014, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems. I guess I've been pretty lucky, nothing major/big so far. That said,

1. The climate system isn't great. I live in pretty temperate/mild region so not really a big deal but I do notice that it's not great at adjusting to changing temps. It's not a problem per se, just could be better.

2. I did have the navigation screen partially blank out on me (half the map disappeared). But restarting the car fixed it and so far has happened again.

3. Hood was slightly misaligned but dealer fixed it no problem.

4. The rear deck lid doesn't fit perfectly and comes off. You have to get it aligned correctly once, then it's good. But until u do, it keeps falling off.

But on a scale of 1-10 (10 = I'm going sell the car and go back to Porsche, 1 = stop being a bitch), I would say overall it's been a 2.5. Everything got resolved, it was more the anxiety that it would be a PITA to resolve but so far not really. Jaguar service has been good. Actually better than Porsche service.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

So far the only issue I have had is the climate control system same as XfactoR. Not sure it is an actual issue as opposed to how the system was designed to operate but different (and not as comfortable) as the BMW.

On chilly mornings, if I set it to Auto, once it reaches the set temperture it then blasts me with air conditioning even though it may be 40 outside. With Auto turned off it gets too warm inside the car. As XfactoR stated I am constantly moving the dials to find a happy medium.

However, I consider myself lucky if this is my only issue as everything else appears OK so far.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
Hey all,

I'm a new F-Type R owner, and while I can say I'm in lust, I can't yet say I'm in love....don't get me wrong I love driving the car...but there are some initial quality issues that, quite frankly, are ******* me off...

Don't get me wrong, this is my second Jaguar so I do truly love the brand, but this is their $100,000 flagship. These cars have to be perfect....

Share your thoughts ...
What if You had spent $845,000?

Porsche recalls 205 918 Spyders to replace defective chassis components
Porsche recalls 205 918 Spyders to replace defective chassis parts | Autoweek

Last edited by Lovemonet; 12-24-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Error
Old 12-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
What if You had spent $845,000?

Porsche recalls 205 918 Spyders to replace defective chassis components
Porsche recalls 205 918 Spyders to replace defective chassis parts | Autoweek

Excellent point. There's no such thing as the perfect car, regardless of cost.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
XFactoR,

You are the first and only person I've heard mention the climate control and pano roof issues. I do recall you asking about the former a few weeks back, and I don't recall you received any comparable gripes.

Mine in the convertible works perfectly, is always comfortable, and I don't have any of the other issues. Individual cars of all makes do have isolated issues, and I agree that is unfortunate when it happens to you.
My climate control does the same thing. Tootling along happy and then WHAM. Cold air. Even when the AC is selected off.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I have the same issue with climate control too. Even with auto switched off I get blasted with icy cold AC air when the cabin gets to it's set temperature.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ek993
I have the same issue with climate control too. Even with auto switched off I get blasted with icy cold AC air when the cabin gets to it's set temperature.
By going into the menu on the touch screen, you can redirect the air and close off the dash vents, just as you can in a Hyundai Elantra. Then, you can adjust the temp manually.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Yes I have played around with the dash vent settings extensively. You can minimize the effect of the icy cold air by redirecting it to the windscreen - however you still get cold air in the cabin and the airflow is compromised by doing this. You simply shouldn't get the cold air blasts in the first place.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

I don't get the "icy cold" air in my convertible reported by you and a couple of others here. Even on cold days, I set it on auto at 72ºF and find it very comfortable. In fact, once it's fully-warm, I often turn it down a degree or two.

I suppose you could also just close the dash vents as a stop-gap solution. Perhaps it is an issue on some cars that should be checked.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-25-2014 at 10:01 AM.