F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grounding Points - Car Won't Crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 09:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Grounding Points - Car Won't Crank

All, looking for information on any and all grounding points in a MY2017 F-Type Premium (V6). Highly doubt it matters but it is also a manual transmission. A bit of background: I just recently completed swapping my plasti-welded coolant pipes for the aluminum variety (shout out to all the info captured on this board). I did the work myself but everything seemed to go well. I started her up after completing the job last week and had initially missed plugging back in a MAF sensor so had some rough idles but found the connection and that fixed everything back up. Took the car for a drive around the neighborhood and all good. Took it for a drive this past Saturday to run some errands and again, all good.

On Sunday, I went to drive it and it wouldn't crank. No clicking, it does not even attempt to crank. Electronics in the car come on no issue and the whole time I did the work on the car the battery was on a trickle charger so I believe it is not the battery. Battery seems good and just to confirm it isn't the battery I tried jumping the car to the same results (both with another vehicle and a plug in car jumper - not the trickle charger). I found a thread that sounds like a similar issue and the issue was a bad ground (see below). I figure that's a very easy first check to see if it is the culprit so I want to just check for a decent ground at all known grounding locations. In the trunk near the battery seems good but I know there are other spots.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...advice-254300/

Also, if anyone reading this happens to have fuse and relay diagrams, I would appreciate those. I searched on here and all I can find is people saying they have the fuse diagrams but I couldn't personally find them. Thank you!

Edit: Added link to bad ground thread

Last edited by BarneysFType; 01-10-2023 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Adding link
Old 01-10-2023, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

The starter button has no direct link to the starter motor. Consider it as a request to the system but the system can ignore the request for any number of reasons. Some sensors could account for it. On a motorcycle of mine that operates similarly, a bad crankshaft position sensor prevented the starter from operating. You might need to connect an OBDC reader and see if the system is complaining about anything.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:54 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Or the brake pedal sensor. Engine won’t crank if it doesn’t think the brake pedal is depressed. I assume there’s something similar for the clutch, or neutral sensing.

The following users liked this post:
cujet (02-11-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Or the brake pedal sensor. Engine won’t crank if it doesn’t think the brake pedal is depressed. I assume there’s something similar for the clutch, or neutral sensing.
Both brake and clutch should show a message in the center dash, so would be easy to suss. I don't know what sensors might be in the area where the work was done, but perhaps something the ECU deems important enough to block starting. Crank sensor, cam sensor, something related to variable cam timing?

Old 01-10-2023, 02:16 PM

Guess I need to bite the bullet and get an OBDII scanner to see what it says.

Regarding brake or clutch sensor, Lizzardo is correct. If I turn the ignition to on without depressing the clutch it tells me to start engine to please press the clutch. Verified last night that the brake lights are coming on when pressing the brake so I believe it is reading that.

I am curious about grounds just because I had recently been messing around with a bunch of stuff in the engine bay. I have not noticed any loose or missing connections but who knows. Will report back on what the scanner says.

Old 01-11-2023, 04:29 PM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts
Default something?

Not sure this would apply to your, or anyone's F, but a friend had a non-start situation with a car that had a security system installed. If triggered, the car would not start. Somehow this happened, without the owner or anyone else knowingly setting it off, that's why it was hard to track down.

Old 01-11-2023, 06:35 PM
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey! I'm famous!

Really tricky as diagnostics do not really show any issue if it is a ground issue like mine. Basic OBD II scan shows nothing. Advanced scan with one of those black boxes + iPad, shows all computers booting and communicating fine. Btw these cars are sort of like ground control at a space-x launch, lots going on. Pulled the starter and hooked it up, spun and bendix engaged. Turned out to be a loose/corroded ground at the transmission bellhousing. Check that first. There are other grounds, in the wheel well (passenger or drivers depending), ground at the starter, ground in the trunk, I think maybe one or two more I forget. Check your main fuses in the trunk, but probably not an issue with those.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Not sure this would apply to your, or anyone's F, but a friend had a non-start situation with a car that had a security system installed. If triggered, the car would not start. Somehow this happened, without the owner or anyone else knowingly setting it off, that's why it was hard to track down.
Thanks, Valerie. Any clue what they did to resolve the issue? I've disconnected the battery a few times but no changes.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by bfrank1972
Hey! I'm famous!

Really tricky as diagnostics do not really show any issue if it is a ground issue like mine. Basic OBD II scan shows nothing. Advanced scan with one of those black boxes + iPad, shows all computers booting and communicating fine. Btw these cars are sort of like ground control at a space-x launch, lots going on. Pulled the starter and hooked it up, spun and bendix engaged. Turned out to be a loose/corroded ground at the transmission bellhousing. Check that first. There are other grounds, in the wheel well (passenger or drivers depending), ground at the starter, ground in the trunk, I think maybe one or two more I forget. Check your main fuses in the trunk, but probably not an issue with those.
bfrank, I was really happy to come across your post as it sounds very similar to what I have going on. Unfortunately, my car time is restricted to the weekends due to work and having a young child at home. My code reader should be arriving today so unless there is a smoking gun on it, I will likely be getting back under the car to see if I can find the ground you are referring to on the bellhousing. Also unfortunately (or really more fortunately), I am going on vacation on Saturday so for all those sitting on the edge of their seat, a resolution may be a while out.

After doing all the work to replace the coolant pipes, I think I have 1 day of sleuthing in me before I ship the car off to a mechanic and pay for the lack of headaches.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:17 AM

Ran the code, got P0615 - Starter Relay Circuit. Does anyone know which fuses and relays are related to the starter circuit? Any other thoughts?

Old 01-13-2023, 06:07 PM
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneysFType
Ran the code, got P0615 - Starter Relay Circuit. Does anyone know which fuses and relays are related to the starter circuit? Any other thoughts?
Driver side, under hood, closer to windshield, under a panel, I believe is the fuse box that has the fuses and relays for the starter circuit - maybe check for a fuse issue there. I had no success digging around for a schematic showing which relays are related to the starter circuit, so no idea which relay to check. This is good news though - at least you have a code pointing you somewhere. If it's not something basic, you may have to take it somewhere with more robust diagnostics.

Old 01-13-2023, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfrank1972
Driver side, under hood, closer to windshield, under a panel, I believe is the fuse box that has the fuses and relays for the starter circuit - maybe check for a fuse issue there. I had no success digging around for a schematic showing which relays are related to the starter circuit, so no idea which relay to check. This is good news though - at least you have a code pointing you somewhere. If it's not something basic, you may have to take it somewhere with more robust diagnostics.
There's a dropbox link here somewhere with a pretty complete manual (and some duplicated sections). Looking at the starter circuit the 40A fuse and 40A relay would be where I'd look first.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:07 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
There's a dropbox link here somewhere with a pretty complete manual (and some duplicated sections). Looking at the starter circuit the 40A fuse and 40A relay would be where I'd look first.
Here’s a link to the V6 service manual (thanks OzXFR), but I wouldn’t expect any difference for the V8. It’s 500MB and hugely redundant, use the PDF headings to navigate.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2hfjv7bas...anual.pdf?dl=0

I think you’ll really like this one, don’t recall who posted it…
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxcwj3n5t8..._X152.pdf?dl=0

Old 02-10-2023, 07:59 AM

Hi all. I just wanted to update this, mostly for the people going through something similar and searching for an answer. Unfortunately my issue was nothing more mysterious than a bad starter. I decided after the work on the coolant pipes I was tired of working on the car at the moment and sent it to my local independent shop. They diagnosed the bad starter and replaced it while confirming all grounds and relays in the starter circuit were good. So nothing to see here, just a bad starter.

The following 2 users liked this post by BarneysFType:
Carbuff2 (02-10-2023), DJS (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BarneysFType
So nothing to see here, just a bad starter.
Interesting. I don't recall hearing of anyone needing a new starter before. I wonder how it failed.

In any case, glad to hear you've got it sorted.