F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The test fitting occurs this coming Wednesday. Here are the final products: (sorry about the oversized pics)

Wortec vs OEM

Pay attention...these rotors are directional!

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (07-31-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 01:31 PM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Yep all booked for this Wednesday.

Ran an 11.3 quarter mile this weekend, I reckon I could of got a touch more out the car but hoping with these on it might be able to run an 11.2 quarter or there about.

ndabunka (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 01:32 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

I am just curious why can't the rotors share the same spacing between the slots?

WayneB (04-16-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

No need to. The front rotors do 70-75% of the work, so less cooling capacity required on the rear. As it is, these the rears have 50% fewer holes than on front, still keeping the rears cooler than the front.

Burt Gummer (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 11:53 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I am just curious why can't the rotors share the same spacing between the slots?
Originally Posted by Unhingd
No need to. The front rotors do 70-75% of the work, so less cooling capacity required on the rear. As it is, these the rears have 50% fewer holes than on front, still keeping the rears cooler than the front.
Function aside, I would prefer the rears look similar to the fronts...
Unless there is a valid safety or maintenance reason for not going there.

Last edited by IronMike; 04-15-2018 at 11:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IronMike:
WayneB (04-16-2018), zmoothg (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:26 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I think they are darn sexy, will look so much better than the factory ones!

Old 04-16-2018, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by IronMike
I second that. Seems like I am purchasing rotors from two different companies and mix and matching instead of a consistent provider. Just my 2 cent.

WayneB (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I think they are darn sexy, will look so much better than the factory ones!
You don't like the trashcan lid look?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

I'll check with Wortec. I personally don't mind the difference as it properly reflects the braking load on the respective rotors.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:21 PM

Hi there

So today the sample set and worlds first 2PC full floating iron rotors manufactured by Wortec for Jaguar F-Type V8 were test fitted to my car today, installation went smoothly at Topcat Racing as to be expected as Wortec purchased Jaguar original disc to ensure all dimensions, relevant holes, chamfers, PCD, etc. were all spot on.

Some seriously nice race stuff at Topcats, Marcos LS7 and LS9 converstions, TVR LS7 conversions, more TVR's and lots of Caterhams and other race cars, shall post some pictures up in coming days, been a long day, so pretty knackered.

As they are the sample set, these are not my chosen design as these are the suncut thermal slotted disc which offer maximum weight savings of just over 21kg for the set which matches ceramic weight savings, so very impressive on that front.

As Topcats is on an ex military base, that means lots of private land, so once fitted we were able to proceed to immediate bedding in and testing procedure which was around ten runs to 100mph and braking at 60-70% capacity down to 20mph turning the disc shiny/blue.

We then built speeds upto 120-130mph and did a few braking runs at 70, 80, 90 and then 100% pedal travel down to 10mph until the brakes were smoking. Once we reached this we did a none braking run and then went for an all out 130 and hard braking run to judge braking ability. All I can say is we now have a lot more braking power, better pedal feel and better pedal modulation, so yes the car stops better and inspires more confidence in doing so, something I am very happy about.

So back to the unit, old stuff in the car, so yep nearly 50kg of stock brake disc in the boot and the long gentle drive to my mates detailing unit for a good wash and top up of sealant.

Performance and handling shall have to wait, I was not going to attempt hard cornering with 50kg in the boot, otherwise there may have been a new concept of floating rotors.
What I can comment on is ride quality, even with the boot load, its really noticeable in a positive way, almost like dialling in more rebound but with none of the negatives, the suspension recovers faster over bumps and holes in the road resulting in a better ride and of course also means better contact patch.

Oh and I must admit they do look absolutely awesome too.

I originally went with plain edge and just drilled design because my worry was the suncut would make them look smaller but in reality they look much bigger than the stock items simply because they no longer have the black inner circle, or as many call the stock units "dustbin lids" and as such I am considering keeping this set as I do like the design, it looks cool, saves weight and really improves cooling ability. Wortec engineer Paul said to touch the rotors when we pulled up, I thought he was joking, until he put his hand on them for a couple of seconds and said yes they are hot but are not excessively hot which is credit to the suncut, thermal grooves and internal vane design essentially improves cooling ability hugely, though my intention is not track work they are of course very much suited to both road and track work. Gone with EBC Yellows for pads, simply as choice is limited but they are an OK all rounder and from my drive home are better than stock pads in every way, so the combination woks superbly well. Also worth noting is the EBC pads match the original pads identical, also come with backing plates and I can report they are totally silent/squeak free so far. The only additional noise is under harder braking and its not really additional noise just different sound due to the grooved design and only noticeable when braking hard, so far no embarrassing choo choo like train stopping at low speeds which is good news.

The weakness the car I felt had, is now gone, the brakes now have more power, more fade resistant and inspire a lot more confidence.

Big thank you to Wortec, Topcats Racing for making this happen, the service was second to none, even more impressive no money has passed hands yet as Wortec want me to put around 500-1000 miles on the disc, then if I am happy they will buy me a new set of EBC yellows and fit my chosen design rotors with new pads at their cost or I can keep these ones. Fantastic service and so far a great quality product!

The car should now be around 1650kg so heading in the right direction and with 600HP on tap, she absolutely flies, now lets see if all this weight reduction helps shed a tenth or two off the quarter mile, I doubt it will, particular as track temperatures this weekend shall be another 10c hotter, but one can be hopeful of an 11.2s run.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gibbo205:
IcanDance2 (04-18-2018), Unhingd (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Gibbo, how soon will they be ready to ship the rotors out to the rest of us?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks for the review and pics Gibbo - Sounds like it was a successful upgrade. Love the weight savings, but having seen them installed, now not so sure I'm in love with the suncut appearance. I may go back to regular rotor design. Also, I wonder if they would look better with more black at the center showing? As in powdercoat the entire center up to where the pad contact area is?

Old 04-18-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Thanks for the review and pics Gibbo - Sounds like it was a successful upgrade. Love the weight savings, but having seen them installed, now not so sure I'm in love with the suncut appearance. I may go back to regular rotor design. Also, I wonder if they would look better with more black at the center showing? As in powdercoat the entire center up to where the pad contact area is?
Seeing Gibbo's pictures, I like the suncut look. Still not sure I care for the rear's looking like they came from a different lot because the number of slots are half what are cut into the fronts...

I do think that if one has requested black hats. the bolts should also be black. If the center milled portion where the hat attached could be black as well, I would think that would provide a much cleaner finished look, with less visual distraction from the mounts of the hat, and/or the bolts. I insisted on black lug nuts on my black wheels for the same reason.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 PM

Gibbo205, I may have some bad news for you...

I was just told by someone looking over my shoulder that your rotors are mounted backwards. Slots and suncut should be facing forward.
I'm no expert, but a quick google search of slotted rotors supports what I was just told.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts
Thumbs up

I was just told by someone looking over my shoulder that your rotors are mounted backwards. Slots and suncut should be facing forward.
I'm no expert, but a quick google search of slotted rotors supports what I was just told.
I thought something was wrong with the pictures. They do look nice.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

It does look like his left is right and right is left but it looks easy enough to un-mount & simply move to the opposite sides which would then correct the issue.

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-18-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:30 PM

The disc are directional, arrows on them and they are in correct orientation, they were installed by Wortec engineer at Topcats Racing so done correctly.

This photo I took confirms so:

The directional arrows / wear indicators are in the correct direction of travel.

Last edited by Gibbo205; 04-18-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
It does look like his left is right and right is left but it looks easy enough to un-mount & simply move to the opposite sides which would then correct the issue.
They are not wrong, this is Wortec's own design, so they are in correct direction of travel.

Here is their big brake kit with suncut thermal slot rotors on a GTR attached.
Remember this is their own design, also they are the only manufacturer so far to use thermal slot design and their internal vane structure is quite unique too.

Remember they are designed for maximum cooling efficiency as the design is also used in racing and motorsport.

A quick google search also reveals other manufacturers with grooves in same orientation and some not so, its down to the manufacturer but the Wortec rotors are directional and installed correctly.

Attached Thumbnails Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type-30530921_613204019014484_7336751284935983104_o.jpg  
ndabunka (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Also note that the GTR pictured has the front brake calipers on the front of the rotors while all modern Jags have them on the rear of the front rotors.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:59 PM

Looks amazing. I think the hats in black might provide a better look and I think the front double timed slots might be too much. I'm loving the rears. Any reasons for the different design between the rears and fronts. I'm guessing it's mostly aesthetics and weight savings.

Quick Reply: Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type