F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 01:00 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Gibbo for the detailed report on the rotor test fit and bedding procedure. Impressive.
A question: what are the minimum bedding requirments?
I doubt that I can find facilities where I live to carry out the bedding procedure that you described....

Old 04-19-2018, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

No need to find "facilities", just hunt down a quiet stretch of straight road of decent length where the boys in blue are never seen.
I know, easier said than done and maybe even harder in your country!

Old 04-19-2018, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Bedding will be no different than with any other new pad/rotor sets. If the car is driven gently, it will just take that much longer.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:52 AM

All right. I can find a quite stretch of road where I won’t risk meeting the boys in blue. Over here the boys in blue are present but generally not intimidating, unlike I experienced in OZ… It didn’t seem like a good idea to fool around with the law enforcement people down under. Really was amazed by the billboards along the road with statements from the authorities like "DROWSY DRIVERS DIE...." :-0 that type of condescending attitude towards citizens would not be accepted over here.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:20 AM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type
Thanks Gibbo for the detailed report on the rotor test fit and bedding procedure. Impressive.
A question: what are the minimum bedding requirments?
I doubt that I can find facilities where I live to carry out the bedding procedure that you described....
What I did is not necessarily, just regular driving will eventually cause pad transfer.

Also you can do similar but just say on a quiet highway, or quiet country road speed up to 70mph, brake medium down to say 30mph 5 times, then 70mph down to 20mph braking quite hard 5 times and then 70mph down to 10mph braking hard or just before ABS activation, this should create some smoke and your done. If you can't do the above, then fine just drive normal and it will naturally over time.

The following users liked this post:
F-Type-Type (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Also note that the GTR pictured has the front brake calipers on the front of the rotors while all modern Jags have them on the rear of the front rotors.
I don't think it makes any difference, back calipers is on opposite side, grooves still in same location, also cars with calipers in our location with grooves in same direction, also plenty of cars in opposite direction too.

The groove direction is of little importance, there are now Brembo rotors with grooves going in both directions on the same rotor, so it has little impact.

The main cooling is done by internal vanes, and on the Wortec those are a direction design to maximise cooling.

I drove to work this morning, parked up, got out, put my hands on the disc and could keep them there, of course pretty normal driving, but the stock disc would of been red hot as they hold onto heat much longer whereas these Wortec rotors cool much faster.

I can also comment on handling a little more, car has better turn in for sure, the car also feels lighter in turning and braking.

Initial cold brake bite is superior to stock and pedal modulation and stopping power is vastly improved, way more confident on the brakes now its such a big improvement in stopping power.

Ride quality is impressive.

Also the hats are black, but the hat is smaller with disc cut away to save weight and aid cooling, I also like the fact the silver disc continues to the hat as it gives the illusion of bigger rotors on the car which for me makes them look better.

People seeing the car today have gone "WOW those brakes are huge" yet the reality is the are no bigger than stock, but people see them as bigger brakes, that is only a good thing.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 AM

Some more pictures from yesterday:

Brakes are performing well, better stopping power, car seems lighter on its feet handling and turn in wise too which is nice.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Default Wortec is ready to take orders

Here is the latest from Paul@Wortec:
The rotors are correct, and the balance front to rear is spot on, so we would Not recommend changing the ratio of
front to rear slots.

The EBC Yellow pad was used on Andrews car and has given positive results. We have used this compound on other
cars and it has proven to be a good choice. We have no allegiance with EBC and other pads may work well, but we are happy
to sign off on the EBC Yellow as an upgrade.

The finished retail price for the Rotors is £2085. per set of 4.

Our group buy offer to you is £1850 as originally quoted and this will cover the current 10 orders,
future orders will be at the £2085 price and can be ordered in single car sets
(I will work out a replacement rotor cost for you also)

Our door to door shipping price is £192 per full set to all USA locations and we pass this on at cost....

The cost to ship all kits to one location (8 kits) is £1024.00

Can you please ask people to email us on export@wortec.co.uk with there name and address details
and we will send individual invoices to them with bank details on the bottom for their payments.

Once we have 5 payments we will start producing the 9 remaining kits and that should take a couple of weeks.

Any questions please ask

I ran the numbers on having them send a consolidated shipment to a single location in the U.S. and it comes in at the same price once the domestic shipping charges are added back in. It will be best to just have Wortec ship to each of us individually. Place your order now...production will not start until 5 additional people get their order in. We're getting an 11% discount with this group buy.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:26 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

I ran the numbers on having them send a consolidated shipment to a single location in the U.S. and it comes in at the same price once the domestic shipping charges are added back in. It will be best to just have Wortec ship to each of us individually. Place your order now...production will not start until 5 additional people get their order in. We're getting an 11% discount with this group buy.
Can someone post the costs in US dollars please.
Yes, I'm to lazy to look it up.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:27 PM

Can the Bolts joining the hat to the rotor be black?

Old 04-19-2018, 03:08 PM

Wortec 2PC rotors fitted, better photos taken and with a proper camera.

Love the look and the braking improvement well worth it!

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
LOL
I just happen to still have a currency conversion page up so plugged the number in.

1,850 GBP is $2,605.87 as of this minute
192 GBP is $270.45

So, if I am reading the costs correctly, the price shipped to your door is those two combined so $2,876.32

Old 04-19-2018, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Multiply the £ numbers by approximately 1.35.

Correction: Doh! value of the £ just went up by 6 cents in the last week to $1.41

Can the Bolts joining the hat to the rotor be black?
Send them an email. I don't see why not.

I have sent in my order confirmation to them. That's 1.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-19-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Hello, Wow, that's a lot of doe for rotors, but i'm in.

Question do these rotors allow for a turning when need new brake pads?
Is there any warranty for against warpage or cracking?
Can the center bolts be anodized black?

What about the number of grooves and holes front vs. rear, do they have to be less grooves for rear? can they not be the same front and back. Just would seem to be more of a matched set look. would more grooves and holes in rear really cause a weight imbalance?

What about Porterfield pads AP 1753 R4-S (rear 376mm) AP 1750 R4-2(front 380mm) a good choice for these rotors?

Thanks for getting this done to all involved-Unhinged, Gibbo m205 and any others, you are good people...

Please give info. on how to pay and who to contact.

$2876.00 USD. is the final price delivered?

CC currency conversion rate will apply based on individual banks and there would not be a UK tax correct?

Old 04-19-2018, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vettegood
Hello, Wow, that's a lot of doe for rotors, but i'm in.

Question do these rotors allow for a turning when need new brake pads?
Is there any warranty for against warpage or cracking?
Can the center bolts be anodized black?

What about the number of grooves and holes front vs. rear, do they have to be less grooves for rear? can they not be the same front and back. Just would seem to be more of a matched set look. would more grooves and holes in rear really cause a weight imbalance?

What about Porterfield pads AP 1753 R4-S (rear 376mm) AP 1750 R4-2(front 380mm) a good choice for these rotors?

Thanks for getting this done to all involved-Unhinged, Gibbo m205 and any others, you are good people...

Please give info. on how to pay and who to contact.

$2876.00 USD. is the final price delivered?

CC currency conversion rate will apply based on individual banks and there would not be a UK tax correct?
Most of your questions are answered in post 248 above.
Please send all your technical and product questions directly to the Wortec email listed above. (But the Porterfields will work just fine)

Yes, $2876 all in depending on the fluctuating exchange rates. No additional taxes if you are here in the U.S.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-19-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 736 Posts

I have sent in my order confirmation to them. That's 1.
Mine makes 2.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Mine makes 2.
Mine makes 3.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

here is copy of reply i received from Wortec answering my questions.
i will just post replies , most can figure out questions being answered.
they are sending me invoice so that will make 4.

Thank you for your email, below we have answered your questions:

#1 Yes are rota's can be resurfaced up to 3mm of the original thickness. This is at lease 50% more than the standard rota.

#2 Any failure within the first year, we would replace on a , like for like, basis, circumstances depending. No race use.

#3 We would expect in excess of 40,000 miles of normal road use. (Aggressive brake pads will reduce this prediction)

#4 Unfortunately, the bolts are a custom item for the floating rota mechanism and are produced to our specification in stainless steel. Changing the surface finish will require retesting of stress characteristics and is not a viable option. Possibly, once you have received them, someone with a steady hand could paint the heads of the bolts. But do not remove them.(question was, can the bolt heads be Black anodized?)

#5 The rota's were tested with EBC yellow and OEM pads and results with these were signed off. The use of other manufacturers pads could produce as good or better results, but we have not tested them.

#6 The surface finish is zink chromemate and the friction surface is then machined to tolerance. To produce a black chromemate finish would be a custom order and would be expensive for 4 only.(question was, can the rotors be black anodized in color?)

If you are happy with the above, let me know and I will send you the invoice and payment instructions.

Kind regards

Anneliese

Old 04-20-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by vettegood
here is copy of reply i received from Wortec answering my questions.
i will just post replies , most can figure out questions being answered.
they are sending me invoice so that will make 4.

Thank you for your email, below we have answered your questions:

#1 Yes are rota's can be resurfaced up to 3mm of the original thickness. This is at lease 50% more than the standard rota.

#2 Any failure within the first year, we would replace on a , like for like, basis, circumstances depending. No race use.

#3 We would expect in excess of 40,000 miles of normal road use. (Aggressive brake pads will reduce this prediction)

#4 Unfortunately, the bolts are a custom item for the floating rota mechanism and are produced to our specification in stainless steel. Changing the surface finish will require retesting of stress characteristics and is not a viable option. Possibly, once you have received them, someone with a steady hand could paint the heads of the bolts. But do not remove them.(question was, can the bolt heads be Black anodized?)

#5 The rota's were tested with EBC yellow and OEM pads and results with these were signed off. The use of other manufacturers pads could produce as good or better results, but we have not tested them.

#6 The surface finish is zink chromemate and the friction surface is then machined to tolerance. To produce a black chromemate finish would be a custom order and would be expensive for 4 only.(question was, can the rotors be black anodized in color?)

If you are happy with the above, let me know and I will send you the invoice and payment instructions.

Kind regards

Anneliese
I received the exact same answer to number 4 about changing the bolts to black. They cut and pasted from one of our emails to the other.
Unfortunately, I believe the heat transfer through these fittings would sear any external paint off the heads of the bolts within a few hundred miles.
I wonder why they state: "...but do not remove them."

I might be willing to join you in a Black Chromemate rebellion. Wonder what the price would be for two sets in black chromemate finish? Does that mean the friction surface is also black, or everything but the friction surface?

Old 04-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

I reckon you could use black caliper paint or maybe black engine enamel to paint the bolt heads, they are both extreme high-temp paints and I doubt they would sear/melt/burn off.

Quick Reply: Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type