What's your ZIP Code?

1. Gibbo205 - Round disc, drilled only - UK
2. Unhingd - Standard Suncut disc, drilled slots - US 20904
3. F-Type-Type - Round disc, drilled slots - Denmark 2820
4. zmoothg - Standard Suncut disc, drilled slots- US 94103
5. IronMike - Round or Std. Suncut (undecided), drilled slots - US 92627
6. Chawumba - Round Disc, drilled only (or 2nd choice drilled slots) - US 90803
7. Vettegood - Round Disc, Drilled Slots - US 85086
8. Dremorg - Round Disc, Drilled Slots - US ?????

1. Round disc, drilled only (2)
2. Round disc, drilled slots (3 or 4)
3. Standard suncut disc, drilled slots (3 or 2)

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-03-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:12 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, that's how it works on most cars, but it appears on modern Jags it is the other way 'round, with the rears wearing out much faster than the fronts.
The main reason is the "anti-dive" built into the braking system which applies the rears earlier and harder than the fronts, and the secondary reason is the way the parking brake operates.
Lots of reports on the XF and XJ forums on this, just a little early yet to report anything conclusive on the F-Type.
Aha, interesting - I never considered that might be the case but makes sense.

Looks like the rears are considerably thinner disks too @ 25.9mm vs the fronts @35.8mm if the spec I saw is accurate.

Last edited by mshedden; 03-03-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Looks like the rears are considerably thinner disks too @ 25.9mm vs the fronts @35.8mm if the spec I saw is accurate.
+1. Just measured them. I came up with 37mm front, 26mm rear with slide caliper.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 736 Posts

OK. I'm in.

Originally Posted by Unhingd
6. Chawumba - Round Disc, drilled only (or 2nd choice drilled slots) - US 90803
8. Dremorg - Round Disc, Drilled Slots - US ?????
9. lizzardo - Std. Suncut, slotted only, (2nd choice drilled slots) - US 94526

I'll second Lance's comment about slotted. I moved to slotted on my previous car and did not notice any increase in pad wear. I didn't notice any increase in bite either, but I also changed pad compound, so both observations should be taken in light of that.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I noticed no change in wear rate when I moved to slotted rotors on my MINI. That car only weighs 2600 lbs, but the discs are half the size of the Jag's, so just maybe a valid comparison.

6. Chawumba - Suncut, drilled/slots - US 90803

Based on the above, it looks like we need to limit this group buy to the following 3 options:
1. Round disc, drilled only (1)
2. Round disc, drilled slots (2 or 3)
3. Standard suncut disc, drilled slots (3 or 4)

Can everyone live with that offering?
I will check on the cost of the replacement discs. I suspect they are a fraction of the cost of the 'hat'.

Not to create more work, but after getting input from my son, we'll join the suncut crowd. May also be interested in replacement discs. Thanks for taking point on this for the USA Unhinged, and to the OP for finding this great option.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Henceforth, 'Suncut' to be referred to as 'Ruffcut'!

Old 03-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Here to (hopefully not) create additional confusion are Wortec's recommendations:

Paul@Wortec
1. Daily driver veryoccasionally used on track day (5-10 lap sessions with cool down or 20mins):
Drilled rotor with plain edge Or Drilled rotor with low profile suncut

2. Daily driver, with fast Road use and track day (5-10 lap sessions with cooldown or 20mins):
Thermal slot (drilled slots) plain edge OrThermal slot (drilled slots) low profile suncut

3. Predominantly track day use (occasional road use) (5-10 lap sessions withcool down or 20 mins):

Drilled with aggressive suncut edge Or Thermal slot with aggressive suncut

Standard calipers will always be your limit as their clamping force is verylow. They will need to be applied for longer than multi piston calipers andthis will build heat........our rotors will stay cooler and help stave offfade.

If it was my car Iwould be no 2 and have the thermal slot (drilled slots) and low profile suncut........very goodheat dissipation and good looks.

I had already settled on his recommended option before he offered it.

Here's where it now stands:

1. Gibbo205 - Plain disc, drilled only - UK
2. Unhingd - Low Profile Suncut disc, thermal slots - US 20904
3. F-Type-Type - Plain disc, thermal slots - Denmark 2820
4. zmoothg - Low Profile Suncut disc, thermal slots- US 94103
5. IronMike - Plain or Low Profile Suncut (undecided), thermal slots - US 92627
6. Chawumba - Low Profile Suncut Disc, thermal slots - US 90803
7. Vettegood - Plain Disc, Thermal Slots - US 85086
8. Dremorg - Plain Disc, thermal Slots - US ?????
9. lizzardo - Low Profile Suncut, slotted only, (2nd choice thermal slots) - US 94526

1. Plain disc, drilled only (1)
2. Plain disc, thermal slots (3 or 4)
3. Low Profile Suncut disc, thermal slots (4 or 3)
4. Low Profile Suncut disc, slots only (1) (option 3 would be a second choice)

Let us know if you have changed your mind on your selected options based on Paul's description above). I will re-tabulate and see where we're at.

Here are the official terms:

plain disc
low profile suncut disc
aggressive suncut disc
slots only
drilled only
thermal slots (drilled slots)

We will try to keep within 3 configurations, but given that we now have more than the minimum five buyers, Paul might be open to allowing up to 4 options.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-03-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Is the "low-profile suncut" compatible with OEM Calipers and Porterfield pads? I realize some of the pictures here are from other makes and model vehicles, but they appear a lot thinner than the pads for OEM setup.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vettegood
Unhinged, to be honest i don't really know what i want!

i am not very knowledgeable about brakes. I just want a brake rotor that is as good as it gets safety wise and longevity and looks really good!
i would be grateful for your or any suggestion.

my first thought would be round grooved and slotted like the picture you have back about 10 posting ago. i have never seen this suncut before what does it look like installed any advantages to this style?

I like things that are different than others have, as well.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Mitchell
You dont have to spend $2500 for drilled and slotted rotors. If your just changing them for looks there are companies in the states that make them.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:12 PM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by akc70
You dont have to spend $2500 for drilled and slotted rotors. If your just changing them for looks there are companies in the states that make them.
True but they are generally the original rotors and have just being drilled/slotted and as such weight savings are minimal or none existent.

The main reason for this is to get the weight savings of ceramics.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
Is the "low-profile suncut" compatible with OEM Calipers and Porterfield pads? I realize some of the pictures here are from other makes and model vehicles, but they appear a lot thinner than the pads for OEM setup.
OEM calipers and Porterfields will work well with the rotors that will be built for us.

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
+1.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

+1. Just measured them. I came up with 37mm front, 26mm rear with slide caliper.
All OEM Jag rotors across all models are the same - minimum "legal" width is 2 mm less than new width. The only exception is the CCM brakes.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Let us know if you have changed your mind on your selected options based on Paul's description above). I will re-tabulate and see where we're at.
If I'm the only one that wants slots but not thermal slots, thermal slots are just fine by me.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
If I'm the only one that wants slots but not thermal slots, thermal slots are just fine by me.
It does appear you are the only one.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
True but they are generally the original rotors and have just being drilled/slotted and as such weight savings are minimal or none existent.

I get that, but for someone thats just doing it for looks does the weight savings really make a difference. I can see making it lighter for the track but for driving on the street it seems like a waste, but its your money.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zmoothg

It does appear you are the only one.
That was certainly the case when I responded, but I'm sure you're aware of that :/

I get that, but for someone thats just doing it for looks does the weight savings really make a difference. I can see making it lighter for the track but for driving on the street it seems like a waste, but its your money.
Many are likely doing this for reasons of aesthetics, but reducing unsprung weight is never a bad thing. The suspension can do its job better. If you can reduce rotational inertia too, not just static weight, you'd even see better acceleration. I don't think we'll see much difference with these in that respect though, since the weight reduction is primarily close to the rotational axis.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:33 AM

That was certainly the case when I responded, but I'm sure you're aware of that :/

Many are likely doing this for reasons of aesthetics, but reducing unsprung weight is never a bad thing. The suspension can do its job better. If you can reduce rotational inertia too, not just static weight, you'd even see better acceleration. I don't think we'll see much difference with these in that respect though, since the weight reduction is primarily close to the rotational axis.
Thats what I thought, other than them looking cool there really is no benifit to the average driver.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think we'll see much difference with these in that respect though, since the weight reduction is primarily close to the rotational axis.
The rotational mass is far less an issue than the unsprung weight. Reducing that weight allows the suspension to react to the surface much more quickly in the vertical plane, reducing the reliance on tire deflection to absorb the shock.

Thats what I thought, other than them looking cool there really is no benifit to the average driver.
I suspect it results in a huge benefit for the average driver. Reducing the unsprung weight by 5kg at each corner should significantly smooth and quiet the ride over rough/irregular surfaces.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-04-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

The rotational mass is far less an issue than the unsprung weight. Reducing that weight allows the suspension to react to the surface much more quickly in the vertical plane, reducing the reliance on tire deflection to absorb the shock.

I suspect it results in a huge benefit for the average driver. Reducing the unsprung weight by 5kg at each corner should significantly smooth and quiet the ride over rough/irregular surfaces.
I noticed a significant improvement of the ride and grip over uneven surfaces after I swapped the OEM 20” for VSForged 20” (saving 5kg front - 7kg rear. -24kg total). A am looking forward to shedding another 20kg unsprung weight!

Old 03-04-2018, 09:47 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type

I noticed a significant improvement of the ride and grip over uneven surfaces after I swapped the OEM 20” for VSForged 20” (saving 5kg front - 7kg rear. -24kg total). A am looking forward to shedding another 20kg unsprung weight!
That part - cumulative effect of removing 100 lbs of unsprung weight with forged wheels and calipers (25 lbs per corner) has to be of noticeable benefit. My goal is to get my 3850 lbs "sports car" to 3650 lbs, so it can compete with my 4 door sports car M3 around corners. Can't hurt acceleration either, right?

The following users liked this post:
F-Type-Type (03-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type