Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Just a heads up - export orders from the UK to the USA should not be charged UK VAT (20%) that UK residents must pay. Usually, prices in the UK are quoted with the VAT already included, so a deduction may be in order depending. Gibbo205 excepted, so US buyers should get theirs for 20% less than Gibbo205 (before shipping)...
I will keep an eye on that, thanks.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:24 AM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Just a heads up - export orders from the UK to the USA should not be charged UK VAT (20%) that UK residents must pay. Usually, prices in the UK are quoted with the VAT already included, so a deduction may be in order depending. Gibbo205 excepted, so US buyers should get theirs for 20% less than Gibbo205 (before shipping)...
This is why in the OP I wrote it says £1850 +VAT, I believe Wortec are aware of US and other none EU countries not having to pay the VAT.

But of course it would be good practice to double check.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
This is why in the OP I wrote it says £1850 +VAT, I believe Wortec are aware of US and other none EU countries not having to pay the VAT.

But of course it would be good practice to double check.
+1. I seemed to remember that original quote, but as you note, worth double checking. Thanks so much for getting us pointed in this direction.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. I seemed to remember that original quote, but as you note, worth double checking. Thanks so much for getting us pointed in this direction.
Its no problem, I am British and just like in the US we also love modifying our cars too.

Unfortunately Jaguar do not make it particular easy as they don't really offer any performance modifications for our cars, like companies like Ford, BMW do for their customers.

As such we need to source our own and as British seem to use lead for aluminium our F-types are quite porky cars for what they are.

If I was in charge of SVO, I would make a production light weight coupe in limited numbers like they did with Project 7 and 8, still aimed at the road but with a more track orientation by using stickier tyres and removing even more weight.

For me ultimate F Type would be:

SVR with 600PS from factory (Project 8 tune)
- Ceramics or 2PC regulars
- Carbon roof, carbon pack
- Lighter carbon bucket seats but still nice comfortable ones with regular seat belt and ditch the electric adjustment and controls.
- Remove the motorised heater vents, infact just ditch the central vents completely.
- More basic radio option
- Fixed carbon spoiler, with manual adjustment.
- Lighter 20" forged wheels, possible to get down to around 10kg
- Michelin cup 2 tyres
- Thinner glass for rear screen
- Less leather, more suede / alcantara based interior
- Thinner carpets
- Less sound deadening

Then of course RWD or AWD, I'd personally want AWD as I'd want to drive it daily but if they did the above, maybe even made AWD and RWD versions I suspect they could get a RWD down to 1500-1550kg and an AWD to around 1600kg.

So your talking Porsche 911 Turbo weight, similar power but way better sounding and way prettier, would be truly epic fast cars.

Of course we could within reason modify our own cars to reduce weight with seats, exhaust, wheels and brakes being the easy areas to cut out around 100kg from our cars.

The following users liked this post:
FR500GT (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 04:39 PM

Clearly Alcon do make a kit that fits our cars:
https://www.invictusgamesracing.com/...he-cars-jaguar

When I emailed them they said no however.

Still a 1450kg F-Type, gotta be a lot of fun that!

Old 03-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Latest communication from Wortec:
Paul@Wortec
thank you for the list.

We are working on the designs and the castings are being produced.........we will make one set and test fit to the car in the UK....... (Gibbo205)

Once we are happy I will then sort out deposits for the production run.....

I will try and keep you updated as we go with pictures etc.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

They're running 18 inch wheels. Some weight savings there if you can tolerate the look.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Most likely JLR/SVO custom manufacture whatever hardware (bracket) is needed to mount the Alcon calipers.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 736 Posts

Most likely JLR/SVO custom manufacture whatever hardware (bracket) is needed to mount the Alcon calipers.
That's my thinking. They list kits for other cars that have 380mm fronts, so they have a caliper of the right size/curvature. The rear uses an unusual (for an F-Type size) so that lends credence to the custom aspect.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Latest communication from Wortec:
We are working on the designs and the castings are being produced.........we will make one set and test fit to the car in the UK....... (Gibbo205)

Once we are happy I will then sort out deposits for the production run.....

I will try and keep you updated as we go with pictures etc

Any idea how long we may be looking at before they are ready for production?
Weeks or Months?

Old 03-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
Any idea how long we may be looking at before they are ready for production?
Weeks or Months?
I would think at least 6-8 weeks. We'll have a much better idea once the prototypes are mounted on Gibbo's car.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:44 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Titanium nut and bolts

Would it be an idea to use the opportunity to change the steel nuts and bolts for titanium version? Has anyone looked into this?

Old 03-11-2018, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

Are you talking about the caliper bolts or the hub studs? For weight or strength?

Old 03-11-2018, 06:52 AM

Hub studs, and wheel nuts for reducing unsprung weight. Titanium will be less strong but is less prone to fatigue and corrosion. Not sure if it is worth it when no-one has ever done this but I believe that Jaguar used the same studs for the XK and perhaps some other models, so i was hoping that there could be an off the shelf solution.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:13 AM

I just did some calculations on the weight of the steel studs and estimate them to be about 55 gr (1.78 ounces) each, i.e. 1.1 kg (2.2lbs) for all four wheels. From Philly single's post I know that titanium nuts save 1.75 lbs in total. On second though a total weight saving of 4 lbs is not significant enough to justify the costs and effort, even if they ar off the shelf.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type
Hub studs, and wheel nuts for reducing unsprung weight. Titanium will be less strong but is less prone to fatigue and corrosion. Not sure if it is worth it when no-one has ever done this but I believe that Jaguar used the same studs for the XK and perhaps some other models, so i was hoping that there could be an off the shelf solution.
A bolt made of a titanium alloy like Ti-6AL-4V (titanium 64), is actually a bit stronger than an automotive grade (grade 5), and is only a hair heavier than pure titanium (weighs 44% less than steel). If one were to go this far, I would include all caliper and caliper bracket bolts.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-11-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:51 AM

Thanks for explsining the strenght of the variois grades steel and titanium. Still fear that the total weight savings are not justified and could be better spend on e.g. a carbon hood. BTW I have oredered this 1.9kg supposively plug and play lightweight battery from LiteBlox: https://en.liteblox.de/?product=lite...redirect=en_US

will let you all know how that works out. A 4lbs battery is defenitly a substantial weight saver :-)

Old 03-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type
Thanks for explsining the strenght of the variois grades steel and titanium. Still fear that the total weight savings are not justified and could be better spend on e.g. a carbon hood. BTW I have oredered this 1.9kg supposively plug and play lightweight battery from LiteBlox: https://en.liteblox.de/?product=lite...redirect=en_US

will let you all know how that works out. A 4lbs battery is defenitly a substantial weight saver :-)
Agreed. The weight savings isn't enough to justify the hassle of installing the titanium studs.

I suspect there isn't much weight savings in the CF over aluminum hood.

The battery you selected is too small. The Jag battery has a 90Ah capacity and this one is only 17.5/52.5 (PB equiv.) Ah. I believe you will need to go with their larges battery (even that might not be adequate).

Old 03-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback Unhinged! I was also surprised about the battery capacity that was recommended by LiteBlox but they were confident that the 19XX model will suffice. I tend to trust them since they haven nothing to gain recommending a too small battery (they will have more business with the lager model). There is a lengthy explanation on their website as to why the capacity of their battery cannot be compared 1:1 with conventional batteries. Never-the-less I will do one more check with their support, and keep you updated.

Last edited by F-Type-Type; 03-11-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. It would be best to post the feedback on the lithium battery thread so we can keep track of it.

Quick Reply: Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type