Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Buy: (4) 17mm hubcentric adapters/spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Flush is the goal, look at any Ferrari.
I'm not judging yet, just a little surprised by how for out the tire ended up.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Dwelter, or anyone else who has installed theirs already (mine are still with customs) - could you please take a 2 and 5 o'clock picture from about 10 feet away?

Old 07-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default mine on....

Look...

Sweet!

Attached Thumbnails Group Buy: (4) 17mm hubcentric adapters/spacers-img_0457.jpg   Group Buy: (4) 17mm hubcentric adapters/spacers-img_1707.jpg   Group Buy: (4) 17mm hubcentric adapters/spacers-img_2591.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Default By the way, shop had to grind down one of the bolts...

on each wheel because if you notice on the oem wheels (Tornado's), there is a bump on one of the indentions in the groove where the adapter mount screw recesses into. Took shop about 10 minutes to cut (4) bolts and they charged me an extra $20. The total job for me was $60. Took about an hour.

Extremely pleased with the results. So much so that for now, I'm not even looking at wheels anymore.

I have but one word for the look. "Beefy".

Old 07-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Looks good, nice job!

Old 07-28-2016, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Consider XPEL on the rockers and both in front of and behind the rear wheels, because I certainly see a lot more road rash in your futures. It's bad enough w/ the OEM offset.
+1. However, the black plastic trailing lip behind the rear tire does a good job protecting behind the rear wheel. The real problem is just in front of the rear wheel at the rocker from crap coming off the the front tire. My xPel there feels like sandpaper. I will have to get the rockers re-wrapped every 2 years.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

[QUOTE=polarisnavyxj;1505685]on each wheel because if you notice on the oem wheels (Tornado's), there is a bump on one of the indentions in the groove where the adapter mount screw recesses into. Took shop about 10 minutes to cut (4) bolts and they charged me an extra $20. The total job for me was $60. Took about an hour.

Extremely pleased with the results. So much so that for now, I'm not even looking at wheels anymore.

I have but one word for the look. "Beefy".[/QUOTe

Please provide more details on what had to be done as I was planning to install mine this weekend. I also have the Tornado wheels & was hoping to do the install in my garage. It sounds like this may not be possible.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Does this grinding of the bolts also pertain to the Gyrodines?

Old 07-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Just get a Dremel or a wheel grinder and shave a 1/16" of metal off of the tip from one bolt on each adapter. When installing, match the shaved bolt to the indentation in the wheel that has an extra small disk looking addition that protrudes out. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about when observing the rear of the wheel. When the installer dry mounted the wheel, he couldn't get a flush seat because of the protrusion I am referring to. I should have taken a picture for you guys but I was busy convincing the wheel guys not to say f%ck it and abandon the job. They seemed terrified working on an F in the first place, not to mention the need of doing grinding on it.

I can't speak to other wheels styles or for that matter other tornados because no one else has even bothered to mention this small detail. Perhaps after torquing, the bolt may indent into the wheel metal enough to get a solid seat - who knows. We just decided to shave off a bit to be safe. The downside for me is that moving forward, every time my wheels get removed, I have to remind the mechanic that the wheel needs to be remounted in only the one way with the shorter bolt lined up with the wheel indentation with the extra metal.

The two prior paragraphs may seem to make the project a PIA but in actuality, were basically adding 5 minutes to the job as long as you have a tool to shave or cut metal and maybe 15 minutes if you use a file.

To the DIY'ers attacking the project this weekend, please provide your feedback re: this issue.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-29-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:10 PM
jf1
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dremorg
Does this grinding of the bolts also pertain to the Gyrodines?
Also curious on this. Was hoping for a no-grind driveway install.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Thanks for the photo - that has really helped me to visualise what it looks like. I have the same colour car too (not smoked out though).

My set have been released from customs this afternoon, so I'll phone up and pay the charges tomorrow and hopefully get them delivered Monday.

I have the forged storm wheels on mine so I will have to see if they have the same fitment issue. I've got a die grinder handy if needs be. I hope to get the chance next weekend.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Polaris, you have me concerned. I to have the tornado wheels but did not appreciate the need to cut down one of the bolts. The wheels did fit flush to the spacer after tightening and I've driven the car with no notice of shimmy. I am currently out of town to return Sunday. Before I do anything else, I am going to check the integrity of the rim to make sure none of the wheels studs have popped thru.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jf1
Also curious on this. Was hoping for a no-grind driveway install.
Anyone with the Gyrodynes will have no issue.

My concern for Polaris with cutting just one stud on each corner is that you will now and forever more have to ensure that each wheel is bolted on just right. A tire technician now only has a 25% chance of bolting the wheel on right.

The following users liked this post:
jf1 (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Anyone with the Gyrodynes will have no issue.

My concern for Polaris with cutting just one stud on each corner is that you will now and forever more have to ensure that each wheel is bolted on just right. A tire technician now only has a 25% chance of bolting the wheel on right.
Just 5% sir, Each wheel has a 20% chance of correct install (1 in 5) and then extrapolate that to 4 wheels! Have 100 idiots remove your wheels and 5 will get it right. All the more reason to get a jack or lift and do your own work.

Take a colored paint or wax pen and color code the shaved bolt and hole so the dummies can have a visual cue to go by.

As far as the actual need to do the grind specifically for the Tornado - When you mount the wheel onto the adapter, you can hear the adapter bolt "clink" against the back of the wheel in the one mentioned hole. It does seem that you can indeed mount the wheels without the modification as has been done by Dweter, however if you have a grinder, i'd just do the 5 minute mod anyway for your own piece of mind. No one needs to drive around, let alone in a sports car wondering if their wheels are fully seated. Believe me, I wanted this to be as easy of a DIY project as we can hope but hey, in real life, there are always unforseen things that rear their ugly heads. As intelligent folk here, there's no need to play around when it comes to wheel mounting, brakes, or ay other safety item, especially when the safe thing to do is as easy as a five minute fix.

Further, should you have the correct tool, the other preferred solution would be to simply grind the protrusion right off the wheel itself so one would no longer need to be concerned about locating the correct mounting point.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-30-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yep, good idea, but even if you tell the shop, that's no guarantee it'll actually happen. I don't even trust them to get the lug nuts properly torqued.

On the other hand, it's no big deal to check it yourself, which I always do.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:24 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Could always grind all of the studs down, and never worry about it again.

Burt Gummer (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Got mine look great - before I even get an F-type hahaha - perhaps I can make some wall art out of them ....

schraderade (08-06-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Could always grind all of the studs down, and never worry about it again.
I've done that with a hand grinder. IT TOOK ME ALL DAY on the automotive grade hardened bolts! Much easier to spend a couple minutes on each wheel with a dremel tool to grind down the alloy tabs. (but you'll have to get your tires/wheels re-balanced ($5-10 each).

Old 07-30-2016, 10:06 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I've done that with a hand grinder. IT TOOK ME ALL DAY on the automotive grade hardened bolts!.
WTH. Were you using a 600 grit sanding disc?

Old 07-30-2016, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
WTH. Were you using a 600 grit sanding disc?
The grinder/cut disk that the wheel shop used took literally 5 seconds per bolt. Cut through the bolt like soft butter.

To all that are concerned, even those who are DYI, the job is about as challenging as installing an air freshener tree.

Let's put it this way, I was quoted $40 to install the adapters which I was fine with. When we realized the mod needed to be done, the shop decided to add an extra $20 to my tab. I felt a bit like they were being opportunistic when they even bothered to write "Modified adapter lug bolts (4) to fit wheel - $20." on my receipt. It shouldn't have even been a line-item. Kinda like a tire shop charging you to Armor-All your new tires you just bought from them.

Quick Reply: Group Buy: (4) 17mm hubcentric adapters/spacers