Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Buy: (4) 17mm hubcentric adapters/spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
Thanks for the photo - that has really helped me to visualise what it looks like. I have the same colour car too (not smoked out though).

My set have been released from customs this afternoon, so I'll phone up and pay the charges tomorrow and hopefully get them delivered Monday.

I have the forged storm wheels on mine so I will have to see if they have the same fitment issue. I've got a die grinder handy if needs be. I hope to get the chance next weekend.
I even swear my car handles better now. I used to regularly rice my way around a freeway entrance by my home. I did it again after the adapter install and I can swear that the traction is better and less slippery. Placebo? Perhaps not, we are 34mm wider at stance and around turns, the extra stability does help with traction. See for yourself, I think you'll be surprised.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-30-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The grinding seems very minor - can be done with my Dewalt metal cutter/grinder in just a couple minutes IF I get Tornado wheels. I wouldn't want to modify a wheel -- someone may not want to buy the wheels in the future.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
I even swear my car handles better now. I used to regularly rice my way around a freeway entrance by my home. I did it again after the adapter install and I can swear that the traction is better and less slippery. Placebo? Perhaps not, we are 34mm wider at stance and around turns, the extra stability does help with traction. See for yourself, I think you'll be surprised.
The placebo effect is very real and very powerful. However, a 1.34" wider stance isn't going to produce a measurable handling difference in a 2 ton car. You still have the same amount of rubber on the road.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:21 AM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

+1 I don't think it's all in your mind because I noticed the exact same thing.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
WTH. Were you using a 600 grit sanding disc?
3mm x 20 bolts = 6 cm of grinding with a carbide wheel and a 1/3 horse drill motor. Yes.. it would have been more efficient to spend a couple hundred dollars on a 3/4 horse angle grinder, but that's not what I chose to do. (I'm too cheap)

Old 07-31-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Took shop about 10 minutes to cut (4) bolts and they charged me an extra $20.
It would probably have been best to have spent the extra $80 to have the rest of the bolts shortened.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Default I thought about it but...

I couldn't think of a situation where my wheels would ever be off and I was not around to supervise what's going on especially afar seeing the post of the guy with the Aston who got his car totaled by Firestone because they screwed up the jack points.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (08-01-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
3mm x 20 bolts = 6 cm of grinding with a carbide wheel and a 1/3 horse drill motor. Yes.. it would have been more efficient to spend a couple hundred dollars on a 3/4 horse angle grinder, but that's not what I chose to do. (I'm too cheap)
Understood. Yes, the RPM of the angle grinder makes a huuuuge difference.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

I did mine using a Dremel with a metal cutting blade. It may have taken 10 minutes to do all 4 studs.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I did mine using a Dremel with a metal cutting blade. It may have taken 10 minutes to do all 4 studs.
Did you do this mod because I did, or did you do a test fit and found the same seating issue - Did you find the grinding necessary?

Whats your wheel type?

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-01-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Did you do this mod because I did, or did you do a test fit and found the same seating issue - Did you find the grinding necessary?

Whats your wheel type?
I followed your suggestion as I also have the Tornado wheels.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

For what it is worth. The wheel studs are not consistent in their length. On two of my wheels the bolts did not touch. I confirmed that by putting a dab of grease on the protrusion and saw it did not touch the stud. However, on two of my other wheels, I could see where the stud made a slight impression into the protrusion. Because of that contact, I went ahead and used a dremel to grind down the bump. This way I do not have to worry about how the rim lines up with any particular stud. Thanks Polaris for bringing this my attention.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwelter
For what it is worth. The wheel studs are not consistent in their length. On two of my wheels the bolts did not touch. I confirmed that by putting a dab of grease on the protrusion and saw it did not touch the stud. However, on two of my other wheels, I could see where the stud made a slight impression into the protrusion. Because of that contact, I went ahead and used a dremel to grind down the bump. This way I do not have to worry about how the rim lines up with any particular stud. Thanks Polaris for bringing this my attention.
Does this mean you can spin the wheel until u find a short bolt to line with protrusion?

Old 08-03-2016, 04:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello, I am new to this forum. Following this thread with great interest as I am about to order a set of adapters as well. Slightly concerned by this slight impression into the protrusion/grinding down issue. Could someone about to do the install kindly document the process with pictures of the issue? Many Thanks!

Old 08-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwelter
For what it is worth. The wheel studs are not consistent in their length.
+1. I noticed that when I ground down all the studs. Some needed more grinding than others to make them all exactly the same length.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Mine landed on my doorstep today!

Pulled off the Lightweight Forged Blades and the adaptors fitted a treat. There is ample clearance in the milled slots in the wheel to accept the original protruding studs, so no grinding needed on those wheels if you have them.

The adaptors from Lenny are really top quality.

Looking forward to going out for a shakedown run over the weekend!

It certainly needs lowering now to loose the more noticeable gap between the top of the wheel and the wheel arch...better get saving!

Old 08-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Mine landed on my doorstep today!

Pulled off the Lightweight Forged Blades and the adaptors fitted a treat. There is ample clearance in the milled slots in the wheel to accept the original protruding studs, so no grinding needed on those wheels if you have them.

The adaptors from Lenny are really top quality.

Looking forward to going out for a shakedown run over the weekend!

It certainly needs lowering now to loose the more noticeable gap between the top of the wheel and the wheel arch...better get saving!
I also have the Blades so I am very happy to read the adapters fit like a charm on them. But now you have me concerned with the wheel gap you mention. Any picture on hand by any chance? which lowering springs would you get should you decide to go for it? Thanks

Old 08-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I hope to install mine this weekend but would love to see more pictures!

Old 08-06-2016, 04:11 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Photos will come....but I've had to remove all three wheels as when I was putting the last one on I found that I have been sent one wrong size lug nut. It's too big hole size, so i'm not a happy bunny right now!

Why didn't I find the duff size lug when fitting the first wheel!

Check your nuts!!!

Old 08-06-2016, 08:32 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Seb, here are a couple of pics of the wheel stud. What can be seen is that the tip of the stud is concave and the edges are what comes in contact with the one wheel

slot that has the protrusion. So what I did is simply grind the wheels studs down flat. I also ground down the protrusion on the two front wheels but that was unnecessary.

Quick Reply: Group Buy: (4) 17mm hubcentric adapters/spacers