F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group buy Pt2: 2pc wortec rotors for steel high perf brakes on f-type

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 11:38 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Group buy Pt2: 2pc wortec rotors for steel high perf brakes on f-type

Hello - We have an opportunity to get a group buy going to replace our existing rotors for those of us with the high performance brake option. This is the 'middle tier' of the offered non-ceramic brakes and the dimensions are as follows:
380mm front (18kg / 38-40lbs per disc stock)
325mm rear (TBD per disc stock).

The ceramic braking system offered on the F-Type saves 46lbs of unsprung mass, Wortec gets very close to these savings with their 2PC disc, in fact they may exceed them:
380mm front Wortec 2PC Disc (11.5kg / 25lbs)
325mm rear Wortec 2PC Disc (TBD)

As such Wortec saves you around 50lbs in unsprung mass, which is as good as the ceramics, in fact a little better. Reasoning for this is because the ceramics are larger disc than our steels, hence the saving, also Wortec have being doing this for a very long time with their primary focus being weight saving due to their motorsport background, though many don't agree with drilled disc, Wortec have perfected it and their disc offer the following:

- Rotors cast in their own material (FC28-30) which has better thermal profile than OEM rotors / disc and is more corrosion resistant (less rusty look).
- Bells machined from 6061 T6 Aluminium alloy and then hard anodised.
- Fixings are stainless steel.
- Rotors are fully floating (expansion and lateral load)
- Lifespan: similar to the OEM rotors and approved for motorsport use.
- Our rotors are cast then heat treated for 12hrs, then cooled for 12hrs. They are then machined. This stops any stress cracking on use. No oem or Brembo do this!

The rotors would look like this following different options/styles:

Stock rotor:

Wortec 'round' rotor:

Standard Suncut:

Aggressive Suncut:

Many of your questions can be found in the prior thread located here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-197525/

Feedback from respected member of our forum (Unhingd)
Job’s All finished. Equal or better stopping force even before being fully seated, but much easier to modulate. No grabiness like with the OEMs. They look great and appropriate for this level of ride. No more trash can lids. I will defer pic taking to photographers far better me. I’m certain someone will get some shots tomorrow in Hellertown.

The improvements you get from 2PC disc is:
- Improved ride quality
- Improved handling
- Better looks
- Improved performance
- Less chance of brake fade

The Cost are for a full set front and rear (4 rotors / disc)
£2150 + VAT (approx. $2775 as of todays exch rate)

£1350 - 380mm (same cast as prior group buy - discount will apply if get to 5 or more)
£800 - 325mm (new cast for high performance and smaller than prior group buy - 10 orders required)

UK Shipping: TBD
EU Shipping: TBD
USA Shipping: TBD

Now the only issue is Wortec need to make 10 sets for this to be worthwhile and for them to start production they need 5 confirmed orders with a 50% deposit. All payment / deposit and ordering would be done directly with Wortec you can contact them at:

Email: paul@wortec.co.uk
Facebook:
Facebook Post

Confirmed orders:

1. watson6505 (Myself)

So we need 10 confirmed for this project to proceed, of course Wortec can produce an infinite amount of rotors.

So those who want the weight saving benefits of ceramics at a fraction of the price, well now it is possible.

Last edited by watson6505; 11-04-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:44 AM

for those of us with the V6s looking to get a little more performance, this is a bolt on change that we can make to help get that added performance we are looking for.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Isn't the High Performance brakes 380 mm front, 326 mm rear? I don't think there was any model that had a 355 rear (just front, on the base model)?

Old 11-04-2019, 01:22 PM

according to my discussion with some of the forum experts, it is 355, but I have also seen some posts on this forum stating that it is indeed 326mm. I do have a price from Paul for 326mm, which is also £800 per pair.

So the price will be the same for either size and Paul will have to get a sample from Jaguar to get the proper fitment. I will work to validate whether 326 vs 355 for the high performance rear.

Thanks for chiming in....

Old 11-04-2019, 01:53 PM

According to the sales brochure (thanks Lance):

MY2014: Front/Rear
Performance Brakes: 354/325
High Performance Brakes: 380/325
Super Performance Brakes: 380/376

Also confirmed here:
Auto-Brochures.com|Jaguar Car PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info E-Pace F-Pace I-Pace E-Type F-Type S-Type X-Type XE XF XJ XJS XK (this is a great site to pdfs for almost all jag sales brochures

MY2015: Front/Rear

MY2016: Front/Rear
Ceramic: 398/380

MY2017: Front/Rear
Performance Brakes: 355/325

MY2018: Front/Rear

MY2019: Front/Rear

* 2017 was the last MY they were specifically referred to as 'Performance/High Performance/Super Performance in the sales brochure
* Notice the size change of the performance brakes between 2016 and 2017, otherwise pretty consistent.

So this is for Performance Brakes Options across all model years between 2014 and 2017, then in 2018 and newer you have to confirm the option/size of your rotors.
2018 this size was standard on 'FType 380hp and Ftype R Dynamic 380hp'
2019 this size was standard on 380hp engines
2020 this size was standard on 'Ftype R Dynamic'

OP will be corrected accordingly.

Last edited by watson6505; 11-04-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:52 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Can we just buy the fronts, the backs dont do a lot of the work anyway.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:20 PM

I think we can (without a minimum, but should order as a group to get some discount for volume) and that is certainly an option I am going to consider if we do not get 10 people that are interested in a full set (front and rear). Although, my concern was running different rotors in the front and back and primarily for aesthetic reasons. I am not sure if there is a mechanical reason to not run different rotors between the front the back. If I could get a slightly lighter 325mm rotor to 'match' the look of the wortec 380mm rotor that is something that I would consider given the opportunity.

Anyone have thoughts as to:
1. Is there a mechanical reason to not have different rotors between the front back?
2, Is there a rotor available that can mirror the look of the wortec in the proper fitment of the ftype?
3. Is there a performance reason from an 'unsprung weight' perspective that you MUST get the lighter rears along with the fronts?

Old 11-04-2019, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,218 Likes on 2,373 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
I think we can (without a minimum, but should order as a group to get some discount for volume) and that is certainly an option I am going to consider if we do not get 10 people that are interested in a full set (front and rear). Although, my concern was running different rotors in the front and back and primarily for aesthetic reasons. I am not sure if there is a mechanical reason to not run different rotors between the front the back. If I could get a slightly lighter 325mm rotor to 'match' the look of the wortec 380mm rotor that is something that I would consider given the opportunity.

Anyone have thoughts as to:
1. Is there a mechanical reason to not have different rotors between the front back?
2, Is there a rotor available that can mirror the look of the wortec in the proper fitment of the ftype?
3. Is there a performance reason from an 'unsprung weight' perspective that you MUST get the lighter rears along with the fronts?
Off the top of my head the answers to your questions are no, no, and no.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Off the top of my head the answers to your questions are no, no, and no.
I kinda wish #2 was 'Yes'

Old 11-04-2019, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

I kinda wish #2 was 'Yes'
I said no to #2 coz a few months ago I spent several hours researching after-market rotors for another FM and I found nothing for the F-Type (or any other Jag with the same brakes) that came remotely close to the look of those Wortecs.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:47 PM

I said no to #2 coz a few months ago I spent several hours researching after-market rotors for another FM and I found nothing for the F-Type (or any other Jag with the same brakes) that came remotely close to the look of those Wortecs.
Oz - did you consider a different/custom caliper bracket to just adjust to the bigger rotor or was the objective to have the larger caliper and brake pad as well? Paul at wortec suggested to use the same size rotor as the super performance rear rotors and he could fabricate a bracket to fit the larger rotor. From a cost perspective, the rotor and bracket would cost more than the rotor alone, but would eliminate the 10 person minimum to make the new sized rotor. In addition, this conversion to the bigger rotor would not require as many new brake parts. Maybe the shields would have to be replaced to fit the new caliper position? I'm just looking for ways to improve performance and justify to myself I do not have to start the exhausting search for a v8s or R in my colors, price, year, options, miles, etc...oh yeah and to sell me v6s

Old 11-04-2019, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Oz - did you consider a different/custom caliper bracket to just adjust to the bigger rotor or was the objective to have the larger caliper and brake pad as well? Paul at wortec suggested to use the same size rotor as the super performance rear rotors and he could fabricate a bracket to fit the larger rotor. From a cost perspective, the rotor and bracket would cost more than the rotor alone, but would eliminate the 10 person minimum to make the new sized rotor. In addition, this conversion to the bigger rotor would not require as many new brake parts. Maybe the shields would have to be replaced to fit the new caliper position? I'm just looking for ways to improve performance and justify to myself I do not have to start the exhausting search for a v8s or R in my colors, price, year, options, miles, etc...oh yeah and to sell me v6s
I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at, but IF you are talking about my DIY upgrade of the 326 mm rear brakes ("High performance") to the 376 mm ("Super performance") - there is a whole thread on this little project around here somewhere - then I didn't consider any sort of custom caliper or caliper bracket as that would have cost at least 10 times the cost if not more than the OEM 376 mm calipers and brackets. You cannot use the stock 326 mm caliper and bracket with a 376 mm rotor, it's an impossibility. You also need to swap out the splash shield for a bigger one, or at a pinch you could go without splash shields altogether.
So if you are looking at ways to cheaply upgrade to the Wortec 376 mm rear rotors then I would say it can't be done on the cheap and by far the cheapest way would be to use OEM calipers and brackets. You could get lucky like I did and find a brand new pair of calipers for around 1/3 the going price. I still had to buy new brackets and splash shields but they were reasonably cheap from Britcar. And of course you would also need new pads, the 326 mm pads do not fit/work with the 376 mm calipers.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,662 Likes on 3,367 Posts

As all know, 70-75% of the braking is done by the front brakes during an aggressive application of the pedal. I always wondered why the super performance brakes had such a beefy rear rotor. It finally occurred to me today that the reason for the large rear rotor is that torque vectoring by braking probably places more demand on rear rotors than ordinary braking requiring them to be close in size to the front rotors. The super performance brakes are the only brake option (other than the CCBs) that includes TVB.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-04-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:59 PM

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at, but IF you are talking about my DIY upgrade of the 326 mm rear brakes ("High performance") to the 376 mm ("Super performance") - there is a whole thread on this little project around here somewhere - then I didn't consider any sort of custom caliper or caliper bracket as that would have cost at least 10 times the cost if not more than the OEM 376 mm calipers and brackets. You cannot use the stock 326 mm caliper and bracket with a 376 mm rotor, it's an impossibility. You also need to swap out the splash shield for a bigger one, or at a pinch you could go without splash shields altogether.
So if you are looking at ways to cheaply upgrade to the Wortec 376 mm rear rotors then I would say it can't be done on the cheap and by far the cheapest way would be to use OEM calipers and brackets. You could get lucky like I did and find a brand new pair of calipers for around 1/3 the going price. I still had to buy new brackets and splash shields but they were reasonably cheap from Britcar. And of course you would also need new pads, the 326 mm pads do not fit/work with the 376 mm calipers.
Not necessarily looking to 'cheaply upgrade to 376mm', I am looking for a way to get wortec all around without relying on my ability to muster up 9 others that are interested in the same process to get wortec to manufacturer the smaller rotor for the rear. They already have the super performance 'blueprint'. Paul suggested upgrade to a 376mm on the rear and he could manufacture a custom bracket to adjust the caliper to fit. We have been mulling over whether that would even work mechanically or not..apparently, it would not be without other mods anyway.

So to answer your questions, Yes and No, I am willing to spend close to 3k for wortec plug and play for the reduced unsprung weight and cooler look (IMHO), but not sure I want to spend $4500 and fiddle with all the issues you had in your conversion from high to super (yes I read the entire thread).

Old 11-04-2019, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 893 Posts

For that kind of money you could get flow forged wheels which would have quite significant weight savings and look pretty cool, and then make do with the R1 rotors which look good but have no weight savings (they are bloody heavy!) for about $600 USD or less. The OEM wheels weight a ton, if you put the flow forged on the difference is really noticeable. Then you can with get your flash R1 rotors for looks, or wait for some others to jump on board your Wortec rotors.

I have had the R1 rotors on for over 6 months now, they brake nicely, you can feel the bite more than stock. The only drawback is that you have slotted and drilled up front and then just slotted on the back.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Not necessarily looking to 'cheaply upgrade to 376mm', I am looking for a way to get wortec all around without relying on my ability to muster up 9 others that are interested in the same process to get wortec to manufacturer the smaller rotor for the rear. They already have the super performance 'blueprint'. Paul suggested upgrade to a 376mm on the rear and he could manufacture a custom bracket to adjust the caliper to fit. We have been mulling over whether that would even work mechanically or not..apparently, it would not be without other mods anyway.

So to answer your questions, Yes and No, I am willing to spend close to 3k for wortec plug and play for the reduced unsprung weight and cooler look (IMHO), but not sure I want to spend $4500 and fiddle with all the issues you had in your conversion from high to super (yes I read the entire thread).
OK, understandee now.
The 326 calipers and brackets (and pads) are verrry close in size and shape to the 376 versions but different enough so they are not interchangeable, but I suppose it could be possible to doctor a 326 bracket or fab a new one to allow the 326 caliper (and pad) to work on the 376 rotor. The attached EPB motors are identical and they unbolt from the caliper (I have tested that) so you could swap them over if needed. Mainly the bracket would have to be modded or fabbed to push the caliper and pad a little further out from the hub, and maybe even some sort of small extensions could be cut and welded into the stock bracket to achieve this. It should work mechanically but I for one wouldn't be keen on that "cut and shut" idea as the bracket would probably not have the needed strength any more.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
As all know, 70-75% of the braking is done by the front brakes during an aggressive application of the pedal. I always wondered why the super performance brakes had such a beefy rear rotor. It finally occurred to me today that the reason for the large rear rotor is that torque vectoring by braking probably places more demand on rear rotors than ordinary braking requiring them to be close in size to the front rotors. The super performance brakes are the only brake option (other than the CCBs) that includes TVB.
And also coz the 376 mm rotors are a carry over from the XFR, XKR and XJR so the JLR beancounters saved a few pennies.
The calipers, brackets and pads are all different though.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
For that kind of money you could get flow forged wheels which would have quite significant weight savings and look pretty cool, and then make do with the R1 rotors which look good but have no weight savings (they are bloody heavy!) for about $600 USD or less. The OEM wheels weight a ton, if you put the flow forged on the difference is really noticeable. Then you can with get your flash R1 rotors for looks, or wait for some others to jump on board your Wortec rotors.

I have had the R1 rotors on for over 6 months now, they brake nicely, you can feel the bite more than stock. The only drawback is that you have slotted and drilled up front and then just slotted on the back.
Bruce - I've been looking for forged wheels online and I cannot seem to find 20", correct bolt patters, and rim dimensions. The ones that I do find are typically 2000k+ EACH. Any links you can provide that sell 20" and I can reuse my brand new 20" MPSS please share.

Oz - My thoughts were pretty much the same on 'rigging' a new bracket to adjust the caliper for the bigger rotor. I dont wanna do that, but I'd really like to reduce the weight of the rotors and wheels at some point. I would also reduce the weight via lighter wheels and I don't care in which order. Step 1 will be the tune and lower pulley, maybe assess at that time and see what I want to do next.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail

With BC Forged, you can get fully forged wheels just south of $4k... I'd argue if you're going to spend 4k for looks and unsprung weight savings, a fully forged wheel is probably a good place to start if you don't already have some lightweight wheels.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Ive got 20" cyclones in black, which probably tip the scales at 40-50lbs (20-22kg)

Quick Reply: Group buy Pt2: 2pc wortec rotors for steel high perf brakes on f-type