F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group discount: Custom Wheel Spacers/Adapters for F-Type @ 25% off

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Well, his "attack" on the JLR rep was rather harsh. That was very bad form because it is tremendously beneficial for any car forum to have manufacturer's reps routinely monitor a forum and participate. Thus, if I were a moderator, I wouldn't tolerate any abusive behavior toward those reps for the overall good of the forum.

Lastly, I've been on many car forums, and the vast majority of them have far too many contributors who appear to be overdosed on testosterone under the cloak of their anonymity. This forum is the best I've seen for cracking down on that and maintaining a much higher level of civility. I hope they keep it that way.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-18-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Jayt2 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts
Question

So a new front end alignment is needed after installation...?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

No, because you're not changing the geometry of the suspension. It would be if you were lowering the car.

buickfunnycar.com (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up Thanks...

Originally Posted by Foosh
No, because you're not changing the geometry of the suspension. It would be if you were lowering the car...
Thanks,I realized that on the lowering part but for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it would be needed just by spacing the wheels outward,lol!

Old 11-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Thanks,I realized that on the lowering part but for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it would be needed just by spacing the wheels outward,lol!

LOL thats funny but not an out of line question by any means on your part.

I havent read through this entire thread but did everyone or most everyone get their parts yet? I guess Im ok paying what I did because I only waited 4 business days for the shipment to show.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Vic,

Yes, those who have checked in did receive them, with the exception of the overseas guys, and they are of very high quality. Thanks for doing the leg work with the specs.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Foosh
Vic,

Yes, those who have checked in did receive them, with the exception of the overseas guys, and they are of very high quality. Thanks for doing the leg work with the specs.
Ditto...thanks Vic for being the guinea pig,they do look to be very finely made and my dad is a machinist by trade.

Foosh,I read where you stated torque on the supplied nuts is 92 lb ft, off the top of your head do you (or anyone else here) happen to know the factory torque rating on the lugs...and is that what should be used here?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the thanks guys---- Im wondering what I else I can really do with the car right now. I did find a reasonably priced flow form wheel that will be lighter than my oem tornado's and might get that installed but then my whole spacer thing goes away since these wheels are custom made with offsets.

Maybe its pulley time but the car with the tune already breaks the rear loose even when rolling at 20+ mph.

The spacers are holding up great with no wobbles or vibes at the steering wheel either.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Ditto...thanks Vic for being the guinea pig,they do look to be very finely made and my dad is a machinist by trade.

Foosh,I read where you stated torque on the supplied nuts is 92 lb ft, off the top of your head do you (or anyone else here) happen to know the factory torque rating on the lugs...and is that what should be used here?
Yes, off the top of my head 92 ft. lbs. is the factory torque spec for the lug nuts, having just a couple of months ago swapped my std wheels for a set of Gyrodynes in my own garage, but double check the manual. It should be the same for the spacers. You don't want to over-torque on the hub.

buickfunnycar.com (11-20-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if I am allowed to post like this...
I will not be using my spacers. Brand new, never mounted. Will take a loss and sell them for $110 shipped to the USA.
Any takers lmk. I am PayPal verified and we can do the transaction there.
If this post is not appropriate, I apologize, a mod can delete.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Great deal for someone...that's $90 off the intro-price...which is 20% off the regular price!

Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vic55
LOL thats funny but not an out of line question by any means on your part.

I havent read through this entire thread but did everyone or most everyone get their parts yet? I guess Im ok paying what I did because I only waited 4 business days for the shipment to show.
Vic - quick question for you since you've installed the spacers. My local shop does not recommend spacers and will make me sign something to release them of any liability for the install. That said, the spacers appear to be hub-centric in that they have the lip on both sides to not allow for movement/shifting of the wheels. This should also mitigate any vibration issues. Would you agree with my assessment/comments and, any issues to date? You have an R with more power than my S...any concerns while pushing the car? Your feedback is appreciated.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by gleonjr
Vic - quick question for you since you've installed the spacers. My local shop does not recommend spacers and will make me sign something to release them of any liability for the install. That said, the spacers appear to be hub-centric in that they have the lip on both sides to not allow for movement/shifting of the wheels. This should also mitigate any vibration issues. Would you agree with my assessment/comments and, any issues to date? You have an R with more power than my S...any concerns while pushing the car? Your feedback is appreciated.

Your shop is doing the typical CYA but spacers are not foreign to higher performance cars. Even OEM's like Porsche create spacers as an option.

As for my car, the spacers in this thread (same as mine), are both hub and wheel centric since they are adapters. I have had my set on for quite some time now (first adopter) and here is my thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...r-pics-127628/

To date I have had zero issues with the modification from a comfort and performance level. I have had the car up in the mid triple digit speeds quite often and thru all mph ranges to test/check for vibrations and I have had none.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the thanks guys---- Im wondering what I else I can really do with the car right now. I did find a reasonably priced flow form wheel that will be lighter than my oem tornado's and might get that installed but then my whole spacer thing goes away since these wheels are custom made with offsets.

Maybe its pulley time but the car with the tune already breaks the rear loose even when rolling at 20+ mph.

The spacers are holding up great with no wobbles or vibes at the steering wheel either.
Vic also reported in his original installation thread no issues including up to 140 mph or so on a Mexican toll road. Because they are hub-centric, if they are machined to precise tolerances (which I have to assume they are), there should be no issues.

As far as I know, the only issue is that you may have to grind off 2mm or so of the hub studs because they may slightly touch the back of your wheels. I suppose it is possible that different wheel types may NOT require this, but be sure to check that before heading down the road.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:59 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I have had the car up in the mid triple digit speeds quite often...

You've had your car up to 500MPH? Impressive.

(Sorry, sometime I can't help but be a smartass.)

Old 11-26-2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
You've had your car up to 500MPH? Impressive.

(Sorry, sometime I can't help but be a smartass.)

Dont you know...... i have a flux capacitor on my car!!!!

Old 12-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers for sale

Mine are up for sale decided not to use if anybody is interested let me know.
Never installed,never even unpacked. $120.00 plus shipping which should be less than $20.00 can purchase thru paypal. Thanks

Old 12-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

As far as I can tell, no one has actually mounted these from the group buy. I'd love to be wrong, but mine are sitting in the box too.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

I had the adapters installed today.

Here are my notes:

I got 16mm spacers, which is 1mm more than vic55's. I have felt for a while like the F-Type's stance is too narrow, because of (a) the elongated hood, which gives it a narrow aspect in the transverse plane; and (b) the stock fenders which are too conservatively arched over the tires, giving the car a "mushroom" look in the frontal plane.

If you have the 15mm adapters from the group buy, PLEASE EXAMINE YOUR ADAPTERS CAREFULLY BEFORE MOUNTING. The bolts on the back have some embossed lettering which can actually extend above the spacer plate. This means, if you try to mount them the lettering could push into the mounting plate and warp it. I suspect that since the group buy adapters were made as a batch, all of them may have this problem. Mine did, and Motorsport Tech were very good about fixing the issue. I did have to send them back.

I did NOT have to shave the studs like Vic55 did. My Orbit 19" rims have buckets behind the rims which provided enough clearance for the stock studs. So mounting them was very easy. It should take a half hour or less. Hopefully this is good news, because it means that for at least some wheels there is no shaving required.

Notwithstanding the bold embossing issue above, the adapters seem very well made. I felt no sign of wobble, steering remains smooth and true. I took the car out on city streets for a bit, then opened up to 100mph on the freeway and so far it's driven fine.

I found the wider stance very tangible in driving. The car feels more planted, which is something I really didn't expect with just 16mm spacers. The F-Type has a lot of roadfeel because of the stiff chassis and suspension and mechanical steering, so maybe that's why it was so palpable. If you guys get your adapters installed, particularly after driving stock tires, you will see what I mean.

I think the spacers significantly improve the look of the car. Kudos again to vic55 for his keen eye for this. The spacers remove the mushroom frontal profile and, importantly, by widening the stance of the car, they have the effect of visually "lowering" the car. So I don't think I need the lowered suspension anymore since I was hesitant to risk lowering on hilly and pockmarked San Francisco streets.

Unfortunately it was raining hard in the Bay Area so I didn't get to do a before-and-after shot, but here is (IMO) quite a useful shot from the dry workshop which shows one wheel with the adapter (right side) and the other without (left side). The difference in profile is pretty clear.

As you might be able to see from the photo below, there are still a few mm's of clearance to the widest fender point, even with the 16mm spacers. I'm pretty happy with this though....I might get wider tires later on.

This was money well spent, but I can't stress more that you should not attempt to install without inspecting the plate first to make sure the bolt lettering isn't protruding past the backplane, because this could damage your stock mounting plates.

Attached Thumbnails Group discount: Custom Wheel Spacers/Adapters for F-Type @ 25% off-20141216-2-2.jpg   Group discount: Custom Wheel Spacers/Adapters for F-Type @ 25% off-20141217-1.jpg  

Last edited by schraderade; 12-17-2014 at 12:41 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by schraderade:
buickfunnycar.com (12-17-2014), Foosh (12-17-2014), IronMike (12-17-2014), shift (12-17-2014)
Old 12-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Thanks for the info. Good to hear everything worked out. If you need some springs I have some AP Velocity sitting in my living room

Quick Reply: Group discount: Custom Wheel Spacers/Adapters for F-Type @ 25% off