Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT vs Sports Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts
Default GT vs Sports Car

I've seen a lot of chatter on the forum making reference to the F-Type as either a sports car or a GT and wondering how one draws the line between the two.

Sports car: is a small, usually two seater, two door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling.Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious but high maneuverability and minimum weight are requisite.

Gran Turismo (GT): is a type of car for travelling long distance very fast in high style (originally) with the passengers' luggage. (both Wikipedia definitions)

Is this perhaps a picture of one of each:

Given its weight and lack of trunk space, the convertible may not fit cleanly into either category, but then "minimum weight" may be subjective.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy

Given its weight and lack of trunk space, the convertible may not fit cleanly into either category, but then "minimum weight" may be subjective.
While all F Types weigh more than they should and more than the official specifications, you do realize that Jaguar notes that the difference between the coupe and convertible is around 40lbs? To read your post you'd think there was a significant difference between coupe and convertible. There isn't.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Oh, this is easy.

If some aspect of performance doesn't quite match the competition or owner expectation...even a very slight deficit.... we say "Oh, well, it's a GT, not a sports car, after all. What do you expect?".

Cheers
DD

Old 02-08-2015, 11:33 AM

I've always viewed the F Type as a hybrid sports/GT. For me it combines elements of both.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Isn't it rather obvious? It's a "GT Sports" (GTS) car. :-)

I've always thought of a sports car as a 2-seater weighing under 3K lbs, RWD, manual transmission, with virtually no creature comforts, and traditionally a convertible. There are only a handful still manufactured given what customers demand these days along with mandated safety requirements. And under that definition, there are probably no mass-produced examples of that currently for sale in the U.S. The MX-5 Miata may be the closest, but even it has been drifting away from that pure definition with each generation.

As Supreme Court Justice, Potter Stewart, once famously said, "obscenity is impossible to define, but I know it when I see it." I don't know how to define a "true" sports car any more either, but I know it when I see it. The Caterhams, Lotus Eilse/Exige, or Morgans are obvious examples.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by swajames
To read your post you'd think there was a significant difference between coupe and convertible. There isn't.
Not whatsoever. I was thinking the the coupe is most clearly a GT rather than a true sportscar.
There are no perceived weight constraints on GTs, therefore the coupe is not constrained by its weight handicap and meets the other criteria (fast and enough room for some luggage) to be classified a GT. The convertible, may be too weighty to be considered a sports car. It also doesn't have enough luggage space for a romantic getaway for two and therefore doesn't seem to meet the definition of a GT.
All I'm trying to explore here is what makes the difference between a GT and a sports car. I don't care particularly what you call the car I am buying, but I'd certainly like to call it by the right name.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-08-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Not whatsoever. I was thinking the the coupe is most clearly a GT rather than a true sportscar.
There are no perceived weight constraints on GTs, therefore the coupe is not constrained by its weight handicap and meets the other criteria (fast and enough room for some luggage) to be classified a GT. The convertible, may be too weighty to be considered a sports car. It also doesn't have enough luggage space for a romantic getaway for two and therefore doesn't seem to meet the definition of a GT.
All I'm trying to explore here is what makes the difference between a GT and a sports car. I don't care particularly what I'm buying, but I'd certainly like to call it by the right name.
That is most certainly not true!

Old 02-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Isn't it rather obvious? It's a "GT Sports" (GTS) car. :-)
As Supreme Court Justice, Potter Stewart, once famously said, "obscenity is impossible to define, but I know it when I see it."
Good point.

BTW, 2016 Miata just got 200 lbs lighter. It may be regaining its sports car pedigree.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:00 PM

All I'm trying to explore here is what makes the difference between a GT and a sports car. I don't care particularly what you call the car I am buying, but I'd certainly like to call it by the right name.
If you're taking that tack then a GT by and large doesn't have a six cylinder engine. That's why our cars combine elements of both categories. As for luggage space, there's easily enough room in the convertible for a weekend away. Many owners here have done just that! It's not as easy as it is in the coupe but it's more than enough for a few days on the road.

Last edited by swajames; 02-08-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

I'd say a GT is a sporty something that the wife would be *happy* riding in as a passenger for 1,000 miles.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
I'd say a GT is a sporty something that the wife would be *happy* riding in as a passenger for 1,000 miles.
That's the best definition yet. I'll let you know in a thousand miles what the coupe is.

(...now if we could just find a driver she could be happy with for a thousand miles)

Old 02-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

If you're taking that tack then a GT by and large doesn't have a six cylinder engine. That's why our cars combine elements of both categories. As for luggage space, there's easily enough room in the convertible for a weekend away. Many owners here have done just that! It's not as easy as it is in the coupe but it's more than enough for a few days on the road.
Most definitely! I keep hearing this over and over again, almost always from coupe owners, or those who took a quick peek in the convertible trunk on the showroom floor, and instantly concluded it was too small. Most who have lived with the convertible know it's not big issue, unless you're the type who has to travel with a steamer trunk.

Just for grins, I just finished putting an airline-legal, roller-bag in my convertible trunk, along with 3 soft-sided, gym bags and backpack, and I had room for one more. That's the roller-bag I travel with for a week-long business trip. In addition, I had the sunken compartment below the main trunk floor completely empty, with room for all kinds of other odds and ends.

Yesterday, my wife and I went grocery shopping and put about 20 bags of groceries back there, along 4-5 cartons of canned drinks. We still had room for a few more.

Most people don't realize that the trunk extends under the forward trunk opening all the way to the back seat panel, and all the way under each fender well.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yesterday, my wife and I went grocery shopping and put about 20 bags of groceries back there, along 4-5 cartons of canned drinks. We still had room for a few more. Most people don't realize that the trunk extends under the forward trunk opening all the way to the back seat panel, and all the way under each fender well.
Hmmm....it may be time for me to go back and look a lot more closely. I assume the retracted top takes up some of that space just behind the seats.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:39 PM

Hmmm....it may be time for me to go back and look a lot more closely. I assume the retracted top takes up some of that space just behind the seats.
what's nice about the F Type convertible is that the trunk space is the same with the top up or down, the top folds into its own space behind the seats. Some convertibles do eat up space if the top is down, with ours it's the same capacity both ways. It's obviously not huge, and it's somewhat unusually shaped as Foosh explained, but you can get more in there than you might expect. Jag actually makes a 5 piece luggage set for the F, I have it, and you can get a fair amount in the trunk with a little planning and positioning.

As for the car being OK for the 1000 mile road trip, I'd certainly think it would be just fine! Particularly in your coupe!

Last edited by swajames; 02-08-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Unhingd (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

what's nice about the F Type convertible is that the trunk space is the same with the top up or down, the top folds into its own space behind the seats. Some convertibles do eat up space if the top is down, with ours it's the same capacity both ways. It's obviously not huge, and it's somewhat unusually shaped as Foosh explained, but you can get more in there than you might expect. Jag actually makes a 5 piece luggage set for the F, I have it, and you can get a fair amount in the trunk with a little planning and positioning.

As for the car being OK for the 1000 mile road trip, I'd certainly think it would be just fine!
Correct! The top down takes up zero trunk space. The compartment is identical top up or down.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-08-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Unhingd (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Not sure if trunk space is a defining issue regarding GT vrs. coupe.. but anyway Jaguar info. says convertible 7 cu. ft. and coupe 11 cu. ft..
If you like to travel with a space saver spare tire it is greatly reduced.

As a GT my XKR seemed to fit the bill with its small back seat, somewhat softer ride and handling.. a bit subdued in comparison.
My Ftype R feels like a hybrid due to its firmer stance, sound level, and tighter handling.

Whatever.
Lawrence

Old 02-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mulmur
If you like to travel with a space saver spare tire it is greatly reduced.
Spare tire = cell phone + AAA card.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Cell phone plus AAA card works except that you have to get your car towed, and if you're far from home you're screwed....especially on a weekend.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I lean on the sportscar side for my roadster. Not a Cobra but not an SL either. Trunk works with a little thought. I have the Jag luggage which makes it easy for a week long getaway as long as it is casual.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
Cell phone plus AAA card works except that you have to get your car towed, and if you're far from home you're screwed....especially on a weekend.
You just use the tyre repair kit instead.

Speaking of which, (off topic), has anyone used the tire self repair kit yet?

Quick Reply: GT vs Sports Car