Sponsored by:

Gyrodyne wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by yugwmb
https://midwestwheelandtire.com/whee...pe/2015-f-type

THE CARBON BLADE WHEELS ARE HOW MUCH EACH?!?!?!?!?

With the way my wife drives, I think I'm gonna have to take those off and put steelies on!!!
Yep, $1,299 US a pop both front and rear, which in my case converts to $1,750 AU each, and that doesn't include shipping. Here in Oz they are a $6,800 option on a new F-Type, so very close to the same cost. I don't really know why they cost so much, but I read somewhere they are forged not cast, which might be true because when I closely inspected one a few days ago it had zero markings on it anywhere inside or out. It may also be due to the carbon fibre inserts which appear to be real and not fake.
I managed to badly kerb my left rear a few days ago, when turning into a carpark entrance some idiot coming the other way veered right across in front of me forcing me to swerve across the corner of the concrete guttering to avoid them. Luckily it only damaged the edge of the rim with no damage to the spokes or blades, and I cleaned it up 100% better with a Dremel and some steel wool, but the damage goes 1/3 around the rim and looks bad under close examination.
For that reason I'm considering swapping out the Blades for the Coventry Whitleys off my XFR, they fit perfectly.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

There is a nice thing about powdercoated rims. Minor damage is easily fixed/touched up and major cosmetic damage is fixable by stripping and repaint (usually $75 or so).

Let my 'girlfriend' drive when I've had more than two drinks so with CF wheels?? -- each beer would cost me $600+.

CF wheels look the best on polaris white cars with chrome (vs black pack) - the 'chrome' lip brings it all together. CF wheels on black cars - barf. IMO of course.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 11-30-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

With the way my wife drives, I think I'm gonna have to take those off and put steelies on!!!
...and those prices are at least 40% under the retail price at the dealer.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly im not surprised with the price of the carbon fiber wheels, I mean the process it takes to manufacture them isn't average aside from raw material cost. but am I the only one who doesn't like the styling of those wheels?? it's nice but the other options look better to me (obv heavier )

Old 12-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

After looking at a couple of F-Types with either the standard 18 or option 19 wheels, I'm guess I should count myself lucky the one I snagged has the 20 Gyrodynes ? Especially as I'm not a huge fan of the all black powder coated ones...

Old 12-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stmcknig
After looking at a couple of F-Types with either the standard 18 or option 19 wheels, I'm guess I should count myself lucky the one I snagged has the 20 Gyrodynes ? Especially as I'm not a huge fan of the all black powder coated ones...

yeah you have my fav style of wheels for our cars, but honestly im with the base 18"s call me boring but i love how the tire profile is 40.. it legit soaks up bumps really well. something most people cant say with thinner tire profile and bigger wheel sizes

Old 12-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, $1,299 US a pop both front and rear, which in my case converts to $1,750 AU each, and that doesn't include shipping. Here in Oz they are a $6,800 option on a new F-Type, so very close to the same cost. I don't really know why they cost so much, but I read somewhere they are forged not cast, which might be true because when I closely inspected one a few days ago it had zero markings on it anywhere inside or out. It may also be due to the carbon fibre inserts which appear to be real and not fake.
I managed to badly kerb my left rear a few days ago, when turning into a carpark entrance some idiot coming the other way veered right across in front of me forcing me to swerve across the corner of the concrete guttering to avoid them. Luckily it only damaged the edge of the rim with no damage to the spokes or blades, and I cleaned it up 100% better with a Dremel and some steel wool, but the damage goes 1/3 around the rim and looks bad under close examination.
For that reason I'm considering swapping out the Blades for the Coventry Whitleys off my XFR, they fit perfectly.
I have set of after market Savinis from my XF supercharged, with offsets that flushed out the tires with the wheel. I didn't think the offsets would work with my 2016 R?

Old 12-01-2016, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
There is a nice thing about powdercoated rims. Minor damage is easily fixed/touched up and major cosmetic damage is fixable by stripping and repaint (usually $75 or so).

Let my 'girlfriend' drive when I've had more than two drinks so with CF wheels?? -- each beer would cost me $600+.

CF wheels look the best on polaris white cars with chrome (vs black pack) - the 'chrome' lip brings it all together. CF wheels on black cars - barf. IMO of course.

I like those on the grey(s), red and orange colored cars also.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I have set of after market Savinis from my XF supercharged, with offsets that flushed out the tires with the wheel. I didn't think the offsets would work with my 2016 R?
As I said the Coventry Whitleys off my XFR fit the F-Type just nice, and they fitted flush on the XFR. But the difference is I have 15 mm spacers on the rear of the F-Type which I didn't have on the XFR, so maybe for your Savinis to fit flush on the F-Type you also need 15 mm spacers?
Easiest way to check is to bung one on the F-Type and see what it looks like!

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (12-06-2016)