F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R Spring Install. WHAT NOT TO DO!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 09:36 PM
Life And Projects By Austin YOUTUBE's Avatar
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Default H&R Spring Install. WHAT NOT TO DO!

I'm Embarrassed but effit!
I made an embarrassing mistake selecting and installing my H&R springs when I trusted the eBay parts matcher to choose my spring kit. long story short I got it all fixed after riding around with that "Texas Squat" in the back for 2 days. I know everyone has pretty much done this drop successfully (the first time) but here's a lesson on what could happen if you don't pay close attention as i did.

The following users liked this post:
Jagauf (01-24-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 02:06 PM
Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

It takes a humble person to admit his mistakes for the benefit of others. Many would have handled that situation entirely differently. Keep in mind, these spring will settle and once you take it for the first few drives, it settles some and then more over the next 6 months or so. Here is how mine with the same springs sits 2 years later. Love my H&R setup. You will too.

The following 3 users liked this post by skizot:
datriani (01-28-2022), Mark F-Type V6 (02-27-2022), TheDrainPlug (02-13-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by skizot
It takes a humble person to admit his mistakes for the benefit of others. Many would have handled that situation entirely differently. Keep in mind, these spring will settle and once you take it for the first few drives, it settles some and then more over the next 6 months or so. Here is how mine with the same springs sits 2 years later. Love my H&R setup. You will too.
I Appreciate the empowering words and that looks nice as hell with the settled springs. cant wait till my rims come in im so anxious to get them on!

Old 01-28-2022, 03:31 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Glad you're able to get that resolved and your ride looks great. I think Paramount performance has the a copy of the P7 grill you're looking for. There was a forum member who posted his spare OEM P7 grill in the marketplace section of this site. Reasonable price.... If you do get the P7 grill, you'll need the parking sensor mounts. There'a another forum member that created me a set from his 3d printer and I just paid for shipping. If you're interested, DM me and I'll see if I can find his contact info.

Good luck with the upgrades you've got planned. I see you're a new member, this place is awesome with a lot of nice and knowledgeable individuals. A few salty, crusty old dogs on this site but pay no attention to their negativity.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:32 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
That is just beautiful

Old 02-06-2022, 11:28 PM
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

I want to lower mine with H&R springs. Did you have any issues with your rear alignment?

Old 02-06-2022, 11:30 PM

Did you have issues with your rear alignment?

Old 02-07-2022, 05:14 PM

no had no "issues" at all. but the car is out of tolerances due to the "drop" and i plan on getting an alignment to bring within the best of tolerances. as a matter of fact just put 22's all the way around! im about to start a build thread.

Originally Posted by Mark F-Type V6
Did you have issues with your rear alignment?

Old 02-07-2022, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Life And Projects By Austin YOUTUBE
no had no "issues" at all. but the car is out of tolerances due to the "drop" and i plan on getting an alignment to bring within the best of tolerances. as a matter of fact just put 22's all the way around! im about to start a build thread.
The problem with rear wheel alignment after fitting lowering springs is the camber.
There is no rear camber adjustment on the F-Type so fitting shorter springs will increase the already negative camber by a fairly large amount, and the lower you go the worse this will get. The main problem this causes is excessive wear on the inside edges of the rear tyres, so much so that the tyres are shot after only a few thousand miles. Those of us who have fitted VAP springs with a fairly mild 3/4" drop haven't had much of a problem but those who have fitted H&R or Eibach springs with twice that drop have had problems.
There is the occasional mention of after-market camber adjustment kits but I have never read of a successful one for the F-Type (or the XF for that matter which has the same issue).

Old 02-07-2022, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The problem with rear wheel alignment after fitting lowering springs is the camber.
There is no rear camber adjustment on the F-Type so fitting shorter springs will increase the already negative camber by a fairly large amount, and the lower you go the worse this will get. The main problem this causes is excessive wear on the inside edges of the rear tyres, so much so that the tyres are shot after only a few thousand miles. Those of us who have fitted VAP springs with a fairly mild 3/4" drop haven't had much of a problem but those who have fitted H&R or Eibach springs with twice that drop have had problems.
There is the occasional mention of after-market camber adjustment kits but I have never read of a successful one for the F-Type (or the XF for that matter which has the same issue).
i have this issue on my lexus with the same modificaions. what i have done was swap the tires in a mirrored pattern from rear wheel to rear wheel to use up the outer edge. doesn't change much of anything over the years of doing this.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

i have this issue on my lexus with the same modificaions. what i have done was swap the tires in a mirrored pattern from rear wheel to rear wheel to use up the outer edge. doesn't change much of anything over the years of doing this.
The problem for F-Type owners is that most suitable tyres are asymmetric and directional (eg P-Zeros and MPS4S) so we can't "turn" the rear tires and run them "backwards" without creating other problems. And even if we could the edges would still wear out PDQ, way before the middle of the tread had worn much at all.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:34 PM

The problem for F-Type owners is that most suitable tyres are asymmetric and directional (eg P-Zeros and MPS4S) so we can't "turn" the rear tires and run them "backwards" without creating other problems. And even if we could the edges would still wear out PDQ, way before the middle of the tread had worn much at all.
this is true when you step into the "Y" rated tires as they have a lot less manufacturers.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:46 PM
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

he’s not simply swapping the whole wheel/tire from side to side but actually dismounting them and remounting them. While not great, still better than replacing tire with only one edge worn out.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
he’s not simply swapping the whole wheel/tire from side to side but actually dismounting them and remounting them. While not great, still better than replacing tire with only one edge worn out.
That is exactly what I was talking about when I said "turn". Take the tyre off the rim, turn (flip) it around, and refit it to the rim.
The problem is you are not supposed to turn asymmetric or directional tyres, it stuffs up both of those things due to tread pattern and tyre construction.
Not worth a few extra miles IMHO.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:40 AM

Please Post Pictures!

Old 02-08-2022, 06:42 AM
Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

I am lowered on H&R springs (~2 years) still running the original Pirelli's that came with the car (they were moved over to the aftermarket wheels). While I don't love the Pirellis, I'll replace with Michelin when needed, in almost 10k miles, my Pirellis are still holding up, no major camber wear and I've driven the car on the track, driven it across state several times and multiple rallys. I am sure my experience may not be the norm, but keep air pressures checked and keep checking for wear. Not sure why I haven't had the same experience. Especially that I've always driven lowered cars and dealt with camber issues. For some reason, it hasn't been the case on my F-Type.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:02 AM

That is exactly what I was talking about when I said "turn". Take the tyre off the rim, turn (flip) it around, and refit it to the rim.
The problem is you are not supposed to turn asymmetric or directional tyres, it stuffs up both of those things due to tread pattern and tyre construction.
Not worth a few extra miles IMHO.
not exactly. you do remove the tires but don't "turn". direction stays the same. take for example the driver side tire...inner part will be more worn and when you move it to the passenger side, that inner worn part is now on the outer side...tire still points forward as it should.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:22 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Some tyres are marked "inside" and "outside" so I'd be wary of running them "the wrong way round". And I'm sure my insurers wouldn't be impressed if I was involved in an incident..

Old 02-08-2022, 01:19 PM

Alright, I see my problem is I was only thinking about directional tires. Asymmetrical tires are different and have inner and outer specific sides.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mark F-Type V6
Please Post Pictures!
I already did. check out the thread at the top called "Sickest F type R build thread"