F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my engine replaced what now.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Had my engine replaced what now.

So I had my engine replaced I'm wondering if there's anything I need to look out for as far as problems or should I keep the car or should I trade it in for a new one.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:44 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

A little more information would be helpful. Like, year, model, how many miles ? Some backstory on what happened to the first engine ?

The following users liked this post:
Abby's Guy (01-07-2021)
Old 08-19-2020, 10:57 PM

Sorry :-)
2014 F-Type S
Car over heated when driving the back roads. I pulled over checked the coolant topped put some in drove a little and started spewing steam. I had it towed and they replaced the Water Pump and hoses. it was still overheating,. they did a pressure test and found ot the Valves were warped? i believe that was the term.
so they replaced the engine.
with the new (used) engine that had 40K on it. it seems like the engine revs higher than the previous. it sounds a little rougher like its working harder than the previous engine.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Interesting that they replaced your engine (not under warranty, i assume); when my F-type overheated, the dealer rebuilt the damaged cylinder head. That was of course and engine out job, and i've had no issues since. Can't imagine a replacement engine was cheaper than rebuilding the head...

Burt Gummer (08-21-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Interesting that they replaced your engine (not under warranty, i assume); when my F-type overheated, the dealer rebuilt the damaged cylinder head. That was of course and engine out job, and i've had no issues since. Can't imagine a replacement engine was cheaper than rebuilding the head...
Agreed, there is also a recent post where someone said they were quoted over $8000 to fix an oil leak that was ruining the alternator - I know these cars aren't cheap but $8k for a repair is bananas. extrapolate that figure and a new engine would be $50K?

Old 08-20-2020, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Just drive it!

Mahjik (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 03:20 PM

I had an extended warranty, the engine valves were warped that's why they replaced the engine.

JagRag (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 06:30 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

My story is almost identical to yours: 2014 V8 S. Overheat from cracked coolant pipe. Blown head gasket, hydraulic lock. I had 53k on the car, replaced w 40k used motor. No warranty. I'm too embarrassed to share what the repair bill was. The good news is, I'm still having a good ole time with the funnest car I've ever driven. If I run into hard luck I'd put the car on jackstands and sleep underneath it before I'd sell the thing.

Last edited by ferrral; 08-20-2020 at 06:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ferrral:
Abby's Guy (01-07-2021), Munky (01-08-2021)
Old 08-20-2020, 07:05 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Yulandop
So I had my engine replaced I'm wondering if there's anything I need to look out for as far as problems or should I keep the car or should I trade it in for a new one.
I would make sure that everything associated with the engine cooling system was in excellent condition and would probably replace every hose in the system. (wasn't just your engine that got too hot, every part of the system was overheated)
I would change the front and rear Diff fluids and possibly the transmission fluid. (just because these are expensive items to replace and fresh fluids are cheap insurance)
I would run several tanks of fuel system cleaner through it. (you don't know the history of the replacement engine or how long it sat out of the donor car)
I would change the engine oil very early and inspect it. (maybe at a thousand miles or so, just to get a base line and flush the donor engine incase it sat a long time out in elements)
Then.....I would just enjoy the car without pushing it to the limit until I had enough run time to have full confidence that everything was in proper working order.
Then..... Drive the way it was meant to be driven

MM

J444G (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Yulandop
I had an extended warranty, the engine valves were warped that's why they replaced the engine.
You had an extended warranty and they gave you a used engine?!

Old 08-21-2020, 08:30 AM

Yeah, they wouldn't approve the new one which is why i'm a little concerned. The Jaguar dealer would only install a new engine so i had to take it to a 2nd party jaguar repair shop.
i think i'm going to get this engine swap reviewed by the jaguar dealership to see if there are any problems that may arise while it's still covered under the warranty.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:40 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry to read about your issues, could you add more context to your story. Was your extended warranty from jaguar or from another warranty company? JLR would not accept your warranty for a new replacement engine. You went to a independent Jaguar mechanic who replaced with a used engine but accepted your warranty. Now you want JLR to inspect your replacement engine and certify that all is well as it’s under warranty, from who? Please keep us updated on your warranty work. This could happen to any one of us. Thank you
Frank

Old 08-21-2020, 02:16 PM

Yes that's it in a nutshell Frank,
The warranty was not under Jaguar it's a third party warranty company. So i'm thinking that this is the best way to proceed to ensure any problems that are there or may arise from this can be taken care of right away so there's no grey areas.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:34 PM
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax1911
I would make sure that everything associated with the engine cooling system was in excellent condition and would probably replace every hose in the system. (wasn't just your engine that got too hot, every part of the system was overheated)
I would change the front and rear Diff fluids and possibly the transmission fluid. (just because these are expensive items to replace and fresh fluids are cheap insurance)
I would run several tanks of fuel system cleaner through it. (you don't know the history of the replacement engine or how long it sat out of the donor car)
I would change the engine oil very early and inspect it. (maybe at a thousand miles or so, just to get a base line and flush the donor engine incase it sat a long time out in elements)
Then.....I would just enjoy the car without pushing it to the limit until I had enough run time to have full confidence that everything was in proper working order.
Then..... Drive the way it was meant to be driven

MM
Yeah this sounds reasonable. I had a engine failure on my previous car (also Ford engine plant built lol) and the service guy said almost the same thing. Change oil after about 2-3k miles for the first time, check everything and just drive it like you stole it.
Also, these coolant leaks and failures gives me nightmares.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:13 AM
Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Well done! Stories like this make me wish that I had a shop, and a lift, and the skills, and the cojones...

Old 01-07-2021, 11:12 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
It all depends on how bad the engine. You can mill or replace a warped head if its under the maximum allowable warpage. The block though is a different story. If its wapred above the permissible limit, the block is junk and will need a new one.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:39 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

How much longer has your warranty got left?
Personally, as others have said, I would monitor it for a while until you get confidence in it. Also your suggestion of getting Jaguar to check it over wouldn’t hurt.
If you sell it, I’m sorry to say, it’s going to show up on Carfax and will probably result in you having to sell for a lower than comparable price.
So just get out there, enjoy it and worry about the value when you have had ‘your money’s worth’ out of it!

Old 01-09-2021, 04:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I love this forum, but at the same time, it scares the hell out of me!

Mbourne (01-09-2021)