F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hairline scratch on driver side window on new F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2024 | 01:01 PM
scm
Veteran Member

I've had a 2001 XK8, a 2004 XKR and a 2010 XKR and none of them had scratches on the windows. My F-Type is the first that has.

Old 08-10-2024 | 01:33 PM

Upon closer inspection of my 2024 R with approx 1000km on it I do have a small vertical scratch on the driver's side window. At first I thought it wasn't there, but there is one there now that I've taken the time to inspect a bit closer. It's fairly deep as well. It is only in the footprint of the area of the window that goes down when you open the door. This really is kinda shameful on a vehicle like this. Jeebers.

In any case, I just went out to take a closer look at how things look in the door around the window in terms of the black seals and such. I personally don't even see how this is avoidable. There is a portion towards the middle area of the window where you basically don't even have access to remove anything that might get in there on account of it being tighter there.

I'm kind of at a loss as what to even do about this. There is literally almost no point in even having the dealer address it if it will keep happening. That's honestly how I kind of feel about it. I know when I'm beat in terms of not wasting my time at a dealer.

What I have for damage currently is not horrible, and if I could keep it from getting any worse I would be happy, but I have a feeling any efforts will be futile. It may be that the car needs to be cleaned with high regularity to help avoid it. Not sure.

I think I might just focusing on cleaning the side windows with window cleaner on the regular. It's the only thing I can think to do that might help. And inspect for anything obvious in the seals.

Old 08-10-2024 | 01:46 PM

Oddly enough it's on the inside of the window?!?!? lol

SO weird

Old 08-11-2024 | 06:51 AM
|

UPDATE: I'll ask a local dealership to see if they can fix when my annual inspection and maintenance is due early next year.

Old 08-11-2024 | 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

I tried polishing it out and even asked my paint guy.
Even though it is so faint, it is almost impossible to get rid of it.
Paint correction said to leave well alone.
JLR unlikely to help unless you alerted them to the issue upon purchase.
Just "wear and tear".
As previous, once you "forget" about it, you will only notice it rarely in certain lights

Old 08-11-2024 | 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
I tried polishing it out and even asked my paint guy.
Even though it is so faint, it is almost impossible to get rid of it.
Paint correction said to leave well alone.
JLR unlikely to help unless you alerted them to the issue upon purchase.
Just "wear and tear".
As previous, once you "forget" about it, you will only notice it rarely in certain lights
I’d be completely happy “living with” what is there on mine currently. It’s what happens moving forward that becomes the ongoing concern/annoyance.

These are the types of issues that really irk me with products…i.e.: Issues that appear to be inherent and more-or-less unavoidable…So far this is the single most disappointing aspect of the purchase…Otherwise, the car is pretty great…I suppose most cars have something…

Old 08-11-2024 | 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Can't explain why but only got the one scratch which I think occurred before I took delivery.
Nothing since.

The following users liked this post:
DMeister (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024 | 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Can't explain why but only got the one scratch which I think occurred before I took delivery.
Nothing since.
Okay, well that’s encouraging I guess.

I kind of have the sense mine also happened before delivery and I just noticed it. You literally can barely even notice mine. You don’t see it from the outside, and as I think I mentioned the only reason I noticed it at all was the low light in my garage happened to make it apparent briefly. It’s low on the window and small.

I will leave it and try my best to avoid the issue.

What does your regiment look like for trying to avoid the problem moving forward? Anything specific you are doing?

I almost feel like putting a poll up to see how wide spread this is, or whether it is just the occasional bit of bad luck combined with poor cleaning habits.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 08-11-2024 | 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DMeister
I almost feel like putting a poll up to see how wide spread this is, or whether it is just the occasional bit of bad luck combined with poor cleaning habits.
Having a fair amount of time on my hands, I clean my car each time I drive it. Even still [and although I have several of these annoying scratches], I rarely think about them. On this car, it's just the way it is. It's like the front bumper cover... eventually it is going to get scuffed up a bit [even with Expel]. It's going to happen.

You might consider getting a heavy duty Shop-Vac and suck everything out of the area after you return from using your car. I would assume that's your best defence against this sort of thing, but after a while that will get old [and it might not completely dislodge trapped particles anyway].

You have to pick your battles and this one seems to be like trying to invade Russia in the wintertime. It's going to wear you down.

Old 08-11-2024 | 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by synthesis
Having a fair amount of time on my hands, I clean my car each time I drive it. Even still [and although I have several of these annoying scratches], I rarely think about them. On this car, it's just the way it is. It's like the front bumper cover... eventually it is going to get scuffed up a bit [even with Expel]. It's going to happen.

You might consider getting a heavy duty Shop-Vac and suck everything out of the area after you return from using your car. I would assume that's your best defence against this sort of thing, but after a while that will get old [and it might not completely dislodge trapped particles anyway].

You have to pick your battles and this one seems to be like trying to invade Russia in the wintertime. It's going to wear you down.
Lol, well said.

It's true, whether you realize it or not this sorta stuff would grind on ya. I used to be bad with stuff like this, but these days I generally take your suggested approach with this sorta stuff. I gather as much info as I can to understand the problem and address it the best I can, accept it, and move on ;-)

My work and my kids force me to do so, as time is limited.

Old 08-11-2024 | 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by DMeister
Upon closer inspection of my 2024 R with approx 1000km on it I do have a small vertical scratch on the driver's side window. At first I thought it wasn't there, but there is one there now that I've taken the time to inspect a bit closer. It's fairly deep as well. It is only in the footprint of the area of the window that goes down when you open the door. This really is kinda shameful on a vehicle like this. Jeebers.

In any case, I just went out to take a closer look at how things look in the door around the window in terms of the black seals and such. I personally don't even see how this is avoidable. There is a portion towards the middle area of the window where you basically don't even have access to remove anything that might get in there on account of it being tighter there.

I'm kind of at a loss as what to even do about this. There is literally almost no point in even having the dealer address it if it will keep happening. That's honestly how I kind of feel about it. I know when I'm beat in terms of not wasting my time at a dealer.

What I have for damage currently is not horrible, and if I could keep it from getting any worse I would be happy, but I have a feeling any efforts will be futile. It may be that the car needs to be cleaned with high regularity to help avoid it. Not sure.

I think I might just focusing on cleaning the side windows with window cleaner on the regular. It's the only thing I can think to do that might help. And inspect for anything obvious in the seals.

This post got me off my proverbial butt on a Sunday morning! My F Type is a 2023 R with 2400 km, and as soon as I read DMeisters comment I had to check my car for the same. I spent a few minutes combing the windows and have zero sign of this on either side, which is great for me (so far). Perhaps debris accumulation during transport from the assembly line to dealership is causing this? I’ve seen how dirty vehicles get when subjected to boats, trains, and trailers. If a dealer doesn’t carefully attend to this area before the window is operated….

Just my $0.02.

Old 08-11-2024 | 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

I routinely spray silicone on my window & door seals. Keeps them free of resistance, especially if some grit lodges in the seal as the windows go up/down.