F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody done a 25K miles scheduled maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody done a 25K miles scheduled maintenance?

I received an email from the dealer today saying that my car is now due for its 'annual' service, at 25K miles which seems odd to me. I've only seen 10K/20K and 15K/30K miles for oil changes.

I looked up the Jaguar website and it says every 16K miles (again an unusual number) or every year, whichever comes first. Has anybody serviced their car at 25K miles?

Full disclosure: I bought the car used at 19K miles, owned it for about 7 months now, and don't remember when the last oil change was made

Appreciate any insight!

Old 05-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Mine is going in for its second annual service Thursday. It gets listed as the 32K service even though I only have 9K on the clock....the dealer looked up the records and it had the first annual "16K" a year ago at 7K miles by the previous owner....

The following users liked this post:
RMoney (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by RMoney
Full disclosure: I bought the car used at 19K miles, owned it for about 7 months now, and don't remember when the last oil change was made

Appreciate any insight!
Unless you have records, you have to assume the last oil change is never. You are overdue.

RMoney (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

RMoney, they could be sending the notice that maybe its due by time, its usually which ever comes first. But for the F-Type its 16k mile interval, not 25k miles. There is an oil life/quality sensor located in the bottom of the oil sump, if it hasn't been driven enough, contaminants could have built up, causing oil quality to degrade ( this could be from previous owner ). Check the Service Book, or call the dealer and ask them to look it up, as I believe the service history is available online now.

RMoney (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I always get an email 6 months before the annual maintenance is due saying that it is now due. I ignore that email and bring it in annually as prescribed. You should , however, have your dealer figure out from the Jag system when your last full service was, so you know what your annual cycle is.

RMoney (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Seeing how one of the recent service actions is to reset and patch maintenance minder because it failed to keep track, I wouldn't trust the old system or freshly patched one as it resets the minder. That is, unless there is a paper record of an oil change, it could be 'never'. Especially on an off the lease car. That is, if you knew you'd turn in car soon and only occasional drive it, why would you bother to change oil? It won't fail while first owner has it, oil changes or not.

With any used car, cardinal rule - unless there is a record, you assume it was never done.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I was prepared to get an oil and filter change done when I acquired my car but my local Jaguar dealer ran the VIN and confirmed they found records for the first service at a franchised dealer. After they did a couple of TSB updates I too was getting the "service required" in the dash display (previously it showed up only on the Jaguar iOS App) which on advice from my service advisor, I ignored. I read the small print on the Elite Coverage that says you have to claim your service within 1000 miles or one month of the due date and was concerned the faulty display was going to be an issue as to when it was due but as they were able to pull up the records, I'm on track and after Thursday don't expect to see any more of the pesky reminder ;-)

Old 05-08-2017, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Seeing how one of the recent service actions is to reset and patch maintenance minder because it failed to keep track, I wouldn't trust the old system or freshly patched one as it resets the minder. That is, unless there is a paper record of an oil change, it could be 'never'. Especially on an off the lease car. That is, if you knew you'd turn in car soon and only occasional drive it, why would you bother to change oil? It won't fail while first owner has it, oil changes or not.

With any used car, cardinal rule - unless there is a record, you assume it was never done.
I remember seeing the Carfax when I bought the car and it had a service done. I just don't remember when it was done. Anyway, I think I'm just going to bring it in.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the responses! I'm just going to bring it in for peace of mind.