F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Added the Carbon Fiber Hood & Side Vents?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Has Anyone Added the Carbon Fiber Hood & Side Vents?

I am contemplating adding carbon fiber hood and side vents. Has anyone in the forum done this and do you have pictures, or insight you can share?

Old 11-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Nope. But I note that they have no effect on performance, and save no weight (except in one's wallet).

Old 11-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
I am contemplating adding carbon fiber hood and side vents. Has anyone in the forum done this and do you have pictures, or insight you can share?
I ordered the hood, side vents, side mirror and dashboard carbon fiber. Waiting on the new wheels to have my local shop install everything. I'll post pics once everything is installed.

The following 2 users liked this post by SandmanTR:
buickfunnycar.com (11-07-2014), MI-FType (11-08-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Banned
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll be changing my hood vents to Chrome when my car arrives.
Cant for the life of me figure out why the stock vehicle, in any model, comes with the side vents (chrome) different than the hood vents (black), when they are shaped and styled as matching parts.

As to Carbon Fiber accents, I saw a lot of CF trim on the dolled up Austin Martin cars in the adjacent showroom at my dealer, and I felt it all looked a bit contrived, but that is obviously a matter of taste.

If you plan on replacing these components yourself, do a search on this site. It was quite a few months ago, but someone posted a fairly detailed description of how to replace the Side Power Vents. My recollection of the narrative is that it was a royal pain in the ***. Apparently very little room to get at that part.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Banned
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SandmanTR
I ordered the hood, side vents, side mirror and dashboard carbon fiber. Waiting on the new wheels to have my local shop install everything. I'll post pics once everything is installed.
What CF dashboard component did you order?
Something aftermarket? or is this something you obtained through the parts dept.

And by Dashboard, I suspect you mean the center console trim, which is a combination of three separate pieces...?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by aJAGMan
What CF dashboard component did you order?
Jaguar offers a CF dash as an accessory. See attached, from their accessories catalog.
It's between $750 and $850 in the US I think. Here's an online source:
http://www.terrysjag.com/product/T2R5267.html

Attached Thumbnails Has Anyone Added the Carbon Fiber Hood & Side Vents?-capture.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SandmanTR
Thanks Sandman. I would love to see the pics when you get them installed. I recently picked up the carbon fiber license plate bracket and liked the way it paired with the stratus grey paint which is what gave me the idea. What color is your car?

Old 11-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I want to see the CF diffuser! Anybody?

Old 11-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Just a personal preference, but I think the chrome hood vents would go nicely with the dark car, and the existing chrome trim. As you have chrome window trim, you're not going to get the 'blacked out' look with the CF anyway, and you wheels already look great with the chrome/stratus combo. Save a few bucks too...

The following users liked this post:
MI-FType (11-10-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Nope. But I note that they have no effect on performance, and save no weight (except in one's wallet).

I thought about adding this option - my dealer said it was $2500. Does that sound right?

Old 11-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
I want to see the CF diffuser! Anybody?
I am hoping that when Jaguar brings out the Project 7 they will sell the aero kit parts as an accessory for the other F-Types.
I want that rear diffuser and front grill !

As for the CF side vents, have you looked at the Jaguar directions for removing the old ones? It says to drill a 3/8" hole in the old vent feed a cable tie through it and rip it off the body. They just snap in place but it looks impossible to reach the clips to release them. I have a set of CF side vents but I am waiting to see if some one comes up with a better way to remove the old ones first.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjamo
I thought about adding this option - my dealer said it was $2500. Does that sound right?
Yes. Other CF bits include the under bonnet engine cover, and the trim panel around the exhaust pipes.

Kjamo (11-08-2014)
Old 12-09-2023, 01:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hood vents.

See my post on hood vents installation. Hope it helps!!!

Quan Jordan (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

...and 'Related Threads' strikes again.

Old 12-09-2023, 07:32 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,117 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Actually, Pavedragon just posted a pretty motivated vent install thread in the XE forum, I suspect he didn’t notice this thread hasn’t been touched in 9+ years.

Pavedragon (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 12:27 PM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

The gloss black accents on my Silicon Silver P380 just didn't stand out enough for me, so I went the whole hog and fitted carbon fibre wherever I could; bonnet vents, wing (power) vents, mirror covers, rear diffuser and centre console trim. Engine cover excluded as the original was removed for cooling/weight saving.

@F-typical Although the switch to carbon fibre will not save many lbs, being fanatic about losing weight off the car, I did measure the differences between the original gloss black items; Bonnet vents = 30g saved, Mirror covers= 70g saved, Power vents = 140g saved, Rear diffuser = 1,565g saved, Centre console trim = 40g gained! So yes pure cosmetic exercise, although the diffuser was reasonable in terms of Ł/g ratio. Anti-gravity battery is the best lb/Ł saving by far.

@schraderade The centre console trim retails at Ł230 inc taxes here in UK from Britcar, much less than US prices, same price for RHD or LHD, however LHD listed as obsolete, so may require some searching around Europe. @JagMan note the centre console upper trim officially only fits vehicles with the 8" screen, as the housing is different to the 10" screen, however by removing the front clip lugs with a dremmel, you can make it fit above a 10" display, where it remains secured by the centre vent housing.

@shift As far as I'm aware, Jaguar only produced a carbon fibre rear diffuser for the V6 cars (although this also fits the P300 4 pot). It does seem to be a very rare fittment, at the 10th anniversary Jaguar F-Type meeting back in April this year, where around 250 F-Types were present, I could not find another car with it fitted. As you asked for a picture here you go -

As for insight, no pictures of any of the installs I'm afraid, although I would list them in the following order of ease of fitment: 1. Bonnet vents, just pry clips loose with bonnet raised, helps to have helper on outside to catch vents as they come loose. 2. Centre console trim, 15 mins with some pry tools, except if you have to modify to fit 10" screen. 3. Mirror covers, no screws, just clips, but requires caution to avoid damaging clips on original mirror covers. Search for how to videos on YouTube. 4. Power vents, yep, pain in the @$$. See thread referenced above. You can remove originals with combination of pry tools, microfibre towel padding and cable tie threaded through mesh to provide pull handle. Need to be really careful to avoid paint damage and almost inevitably you will damage one or more clips on original vents. Jaguar instructions --> Side Power Vent 5. Rear diffuser, Jaguar provide an estimated fitting time of 42 minutes, which is wildly optimistic in my view, lots of screws, trim pieces, rear fog light/reverse light, to be removed replaced. You will need to purchase the newer clear lense rear lights if you have the old style red/white lenses in addition to the diffuser itself. However, all that said, it is a straight forward job, just don't expect to be finished in 42 minutes! Jaguar instructions --> Rear Diffuser V6

Old 12-13-2023, 10:58 PM
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Here ya go

I have the Hood, Vents, and Mirrors. Here's a pic. Where in Michigan are you located? I live in Holland.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2014 Jaguar F-Type V8S Convertible and I have added the carbon fiber Jaguar accessory 3 piece dash console parts. I like the look over the standard 3 piece console parts especially when the top is down the parts have a very nice "depth" to them. I also have the hood, side vents, and roll bar parts in carbon fiber which I am getting installed in a few days. All original Jaguar parts.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:59 PM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

I do carbon fibre parts as a hobby so if anyone in Australia wants replacement parts (fully new parts made completely from CF and resin), or wants existing parts skinned in CF (a thin layer of CF over the top of the factory part), send me a message. Either option would require you to send your part to me for about two or three weeks as I don't have any Jaguar molds yet.

If you're the first person to send me a part to make a mold from, I'll wear the shipping and mold costs and I'll do your parts for just the cost of the carbon materials

Last edited by dangoesfast; 12-14-2023 at 04:05 PM.
Borbor (12-14-2023)