F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone's UAD Carplay/Android Auto unit failed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021 | 08:46 PM
|
Default Has anyone's UAD Carplay/Android Auto unit failed?

Started up the car yesterday to a completely blank infotainment screen. Backing out of the garage gave me a "reverse camera not available" error message on the dashboard screen. Buttons unresponsive, no audio on speakers, etc. No warning sounds for parking assist or traffic detection. Everything was working fine a couple days prior.

Thinking my infotainment failed, and that I would have to take it in for warranty repair, I uninstalled my UAD unit and hooked everything back up. This resulted in the Jag logo appearing on the screen and everything functioning normally. When I uninstalled the UAD unit, I didn't notice any loose cables etc., so I'm suspecting a hardware failure of the UAD unit itself.

Has anyone else had any issues with their UAD unit? Prior to this I had one occasion where I started up the car to a blank screen, but after a few minutes it turned back on.

I need to reach out to UAD support and see what they say...

Old 08-22-2021 | 10:28 PM

Did you try doing hard reset before removing ?
I occasionally get a scenario where carplay won't handshake automatically and have to do soft reset but this is maybe once per 4-6months.
also is your reverse camera the original OEM or non -oem unit ?
if original i would have thought the video screen should still cut in and overide a faulty UAD unit as so still work
assuming your UAD was faulty you should still have been able to swap to and also access all the OEM jaguar functions and buttons except for the nav button as they are non affected if the uad is faulty.

Old 08-23-2021 | 12:04 AM
|

OEM backup camera. Couldn’t reset UAD, as there was just a blank (off) screen and no response to button presses. None of the OEM infotainment functions worked, couldn’t switch to original interface. This is why I thought there was an issue with the OEM equipment at first, it just looked like a completely dead system.

Old 08-23-2021 | 01:22 AM

i guess it is possible for the jag part to get stuck in a loop waiting for a non-existing signal back from a faulty uad component and the fact that everything else is working again without the UAD is proof of that.

I would reinstall and after connecting power press the hard reset near the dip switches
if your unit powers up as per normal then they will probably ask you to update to the latest firmware
probably one of those glitchy things that cant be tracked down and impossible to replicate
or
if you get nothing then the UAD is really dead

Old 08-23-2021 | 06:59 AM

There is a reset pinhole or button on the UAD unit.

Last edited by malbec; 08-23-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-24-2021 | 08:12 PM
|

For the record, the response I got from support (in its entirety) was: "Very rarely the box can go out of sync and a quick reset can resolve this issue"

Assuming they meant the hard reset and not a soft restart, I pressed what must be the reset button (next to the dip switches). I wasn't sure if the unit needed to be connected to power or not for the reset to work, so I did both. That, or just having been completely powered off for a few days, seems to have reset things and everything is working again.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Old 08-24-2021 | 09:40 PM

either hard or soft reset will work, so will disconnecting power , and so will turning off the car if left long enough.
soft reset the easiest which is what i do when carplay won't sync but no good if you cant see the screen in the first place
hard reset does need the unit to be connected to power though to do anything

Old 08-24-2021 | 10:17 PM

Not trying to hi jack this thread but I’m having issues with my iPhone handshaking with the UAD at times. How do you perform a soft reset?

Old 08-24-2021 | 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by BenFT
Not trying to hi jack this thread but I’m having issues with my iPhone handshaking with the UAD at times. How do you perform a soft reset?
from carplay screen choose
1.setting
then choose "setup" tab on UAD screen
then go down to 'devices" list and choose phone
the reset option in in there

Old 08-27-2021 | 12:49 PM
|

For anyone looking at this in the future, I was advised by support to make sure my dip switch settings were correct, and press and hold the reset button for 3 seconds. On my unit the button was recessed and red.

In my case, I think having the unit completely disconnected from power was what fixed the issue, as I definitely didn't press and hold the button that long...

Old 09-20-2021 | 08:35 PM
Default Help please

I have a 18 Ftype with Harman. The head unit is in the cubby between the seats in the rear. But the connections on mine don’t seem to be the same as the one that arrived with the uad unit .

Old 09-20-2021 | 09:22 PM
Default Back of head unit

Old 09-29-2021 | 09:56 PM

Regard, I got new harness and it works . TY

Old 04-15-2023 | 04:04 AM
Question Need help - same problem

@HeinzXtype : Sorry to bring up this "old" thread again. I have the same problem as you (Harman-System with 03/2018 F-Type R and center connections are completely different). Can you please tell me, what you have done to integrate the Harman-System into your car?
Thx and greetings,
Markus.