F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has There Been A Road Test Published Recently?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 08:49 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I have always admired the Panteras, they are beautiful and unique cars. The rear of that new Corvette looks like a kid's Transformer toy. I have yet to see a new C8 in person but I don't think it has the styling that would grow on me.

The following users liked this post:
tberg (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Dwight,
I think the side by side pictures of the F-type and the Corvette that XMO posted earlier says it all. The Corvette's rear end is fussy and way to busy, but I suspect the designer were mimicking styling cues from the Lambo "more crap is better" school of design. If you compare the simplistic smooth lines of the Pantera to the Vette's or any modern supercar, imho, they're just so much more attractive. Fifty years ago when the mid-engined Pantera debuted in New York, it apparently set off a frenzy at GM to produce a mid-engined Corvette. It only took them 50 years! Although, you have to give them credit for the technology and performance they've worked into an affordable package. And by the way, here's my rear end!

Old 08-31-2020, 04:50 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Here's one with Tiff Needell

Old 08-31-2020, 05:21 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Dwight,
I think the side by side pictures of the F-type and the Corvette that XMO posted earlier says it all. The Corvette's rear end is fussy and way to busy, but I suspect the designer were mimicking styling cues from the Lambo "more crap is better" school of design. If you compare the simplistic smooth lines of the Pantera to the Vette's or any modern supercar, imho, they're just so much more attractive. Fifty years ago when the mid-engined Pantera debuted in New York, it apparently set off a frenzy at GM to produce a mid-engined Corvette. It only took them 50 years! Although, you have to give them credit for the technology and performance they've worked into an affordable package. And by the way, here's my rear end!
This will sound ALL Wrong but that’s a great looking rear end you have there sir,
I will always regret passing on a chance to own one of these great cars. I knew two brothers, one had a 71 corvette, the other a 72 Pantera, both were for sale. I chose the Vette

tberg (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

madmax1911,
Do you ever find yourself in Southern California? If yes, please let me know, you're welcome to take the scalded cat for a weekend of old fashioned, mechanical grunt. Just do some upper body weight prep as the no power steering can get you sore after a while.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:24 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

madmax1911,
Do you ever find yourself in Southern California? If yes, please let me know, you're welcome to take the scalded cat for a weekend of old fashioned, mechanical grunt. Just do some upper body weight prep as the no power steering can get you sore after a while.
Man, thank you for a most generous offer but unfortunately I haven’t been back the there in 40 years, lived in Huntington Beach For a couple years when I was a kid. Still have some extended family there.
If I ever get the chance to get out that way I will most definitely take you up on the offer.
I have seen some really nice Pantera’s on BAT lately and have been threatening to sell my boat to make room

tberg (09-01-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

XMO,
We all had masks on (that's not us in the picture), in Los Angeles unless we were looting, burning, or maiming someone, we're required to wear masks in public or risk being arrested. I've owned my Pantera about 19 years. As crude as it is, it rides and sounds better than a GTR!
That is one gorgeous Pantera! One car I always admired for its styling.

But.... what made my heart beat a little bit faster were the 3 Lamborghini Espadas in the picture. Reminds me, as a young teenager, walking past the most elegant Hotel in Budapest, Hungary during the 1960s. There was a huge crowd of people surrounding something that you could not even see. Of course I stopped, worked my way through the crowd to be stunned by an abnormally low-slung Espada from Lamborghini, a marque most of us were unfamiliar with and a styling that was simply out of this world for a 4 seater. It became my impossible dream car instantly and remained so for many years. When I managed to be in position to even consider purchasing my dream, for one thing or an other, instead of the Espada I bought the 2+2 V-12 Jarama, followed by a mid-engined V-8 Silhouette. Those were the times when due to smog regulations, performance was dead in America. Both Lambos were "somewhat illegal" gray-market European models with no smog equipment, representing some rare performance that could be found. I attended lots of Italian Concourse event, even won first place in Monterey in 1987 with my Silhouette. But, the Espada always had, and still have, a special place in my heart. Both Lambos are gone now, replaced by a long line of more modern performance as well as full blown racing cars. Today, my fastest and best handling cars are my 2015 Stingray with modified suspension running on "R" rated tires, additional aftermarket cooling (thanks GM for making a world beater with ridiculously insufficient engine cooling) and my recently purchased 2017 F-Type R that is all stock with less than 10k miles. Yes, after buying several brand new Jaguars, I finally learned the expensive lessons that depreciation is brutal on Jags and it is best to wait a couple of years+ to buy the car for close to half its sticker price.

The following 2 users liked this post by axr6:
DJS (09-03-2020), madmax1911 (09-03-2020)