Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you been pulled over?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
I'm not sure about the PBA card, but here in CA you can make a donation to the 11-99 Foundation and receive anything from a license plate frame to an actual badge (depending on donation amount, they have different tiers) that functions similarly to the PBA card. Texas may have something similar.

It's not a get out of jail free card, but as long as you are respectful and not doing anything really stupid it is helpful in dealing with law enforcement (especially CHP).
I have heard that displaying a plate frame of a window decal badge can be a dangerous thing. Park at the wrong club, restaurant, etc, and have someone that just got a ticket or worse arrested, and they see the plate or badge, it's been know to have them cause damage to the car displaying the "Pro-Police" decal... I'd prefer a card to keep with my license if ever required.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I have heard that displaying a plate frame of a window decal badge can be a dangerous thing. Park at the wrong club, restaurant, etc, and have someone that just got a ticket or worse arrested, and they see the plate or badge, it's been know to have them cause damage to the car displaying the "Pro-Police" decal... I'd prefer a card to keep with my license if ever required.
I dunno about the "PBA card" thing. It seems to me like trying a bribe, which would backfire with the wrong officer. Moreover, I find that a bit distasteful. I'd rather take responsibility for my actions.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:18 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been very lucky over the years regarding tickets. I've been pulled over and let off at likely something close to a 2-1 ratio vs. actually getting a ticket.
Not exactly sure why that is, but I do keep my hair very short and load up on the "yes Sir" or "yes officer" and I never give an excuse, simply own up to it. Although I'm not, the officer will often ask if I am ex-military.

Anyway, last week I was on the highway (60 MPH zone) and had been behind some traffic for some time. The left lane finally opened up and I "punched it" going from 70mph to 90mph in a flash. After hitting 90 and passing most of the traffic I let off the accelerator and slowed back to 70. I didn't stay at 90 for more than a second or two. About two miles later, an unmarked car pulls behind me and lights me up.

I pull over, roll down my window, put my hands up on the wheel so officer can see them. Officer approaches the car and just lays into me -

"what's the f...ing hurry?" Me - "No hurry Sir" Officer "you mean to tell me you're not in a f...ing hurry?" Me "Excuse me Sir, I meant there is no reason for me to be in a hurry" Officer - "I bet all those people you just passed were thinking where the F is a police officer when you need one" "So you have this fancy car, you must make a lot of money and just don't give a F about tickets?" Me "No Sir, that's not the case" Officer "Oh Yeah, we will Fing see about that Pal"

Of course he used the full word and used it liberally.

He goes back to his car and returns in a couple of minutes.

Officer "Here's the deal bud, You and I are never going to see each other again, right?" as he sticks his hand out towards me.
Me "Yes Sir, that's absolutely correct" as I'm shaking his hand. No ticket, he didn't even say he was giving me a warning.

I will not speed on that strech of hwy again though so his method seems to work.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

In most states, unmarked police cars are not allowed to do traffic stops.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Google your-county-name "PBA" to find the local chapter, you can join, go to a dinner once a year and get cardboard PBA cards. I have a friend who is a cop, another buddy knows a state trooper. They tell me that most cops will "pull your PBA card" if you use it -- they take it and rip it up. I'm OK with that, you shouldn't be using more than 2-3 a year!

I knew a girl in college who had a White Pontiac Trans-Am. She would get pulled over, cross her legs and rock back and forth and say "officer, I just have to pee real bad and I was speeding to the next rest area." Once, on the NJ Turnpike, the officer said "follow me" and he turned on his lights and lead her at 90 MPH to the next rest area.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

to the girl who needed to pee!

Old 05-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkong79
In most states, unmarked police cars are not allowed to do traffic stops.
I wish that were true in Maine, but it's not. (Removed remainder of content).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-22-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I wish that were true in Maine, but it's not. (Removed remainder of content).
I wish it were true in WA as well. I would say most of the stops I see on the Highway are done by unmarked cars in this state.

Normally they are in a Chevy Caprice. The lights are mounted inside the vehicle. Very difficult to spot.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjamo
I wish it were true in WA as well. I would say most of the stops I see on the Highway are done by unmarked cars in this state.

Normally they are in a Chevy Caprice. The lights are mounted inside the vehicle. Very difficult to spot.
Certainly not true in MD either. State smokie runs white unmarked Broncos (OJ specials). They do rolling enforcement. Marked cars(olive drab & black Crown Vics) stay in the bushes (in right-around-the-bend highway cross overs or at the top of ramps). 11 over, no reaction. 12 over, you're done and they call in an additional one or two backup units.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

What's with the 11 over thing in Maryland? It seems to be the norm that everyone knows about...

Old 05-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

What's with the 11 over thing in Maryland? It seems to be the norm that everyone knows about...
State of VA it's an unwritten 5. In DC, 5 is written policy. In MD, 11 is written state and Montgomery County policy. Parts of Maryland's Eastern Shore (local authorities) 2 over and BIG fines (funds the local government). Don't know about the other counties. Been pulled over in New York and a few midwestern states for doing less than 10 over. I believe most jurisdictions do 7. Sections in Florida, you won't keep up with traffic if you're doing less than 100. Montana has it's own weird thing going. 11 is not universal. First place I've been where the state troopers don't nail you for 10 over if you drive past them at that speed.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-22-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

I do know that radar technology is not exact, and as a general rule an officer will not pull you over for exceeding the speed limit by less than 5 mph. I've been to traffic court with a close friend and his attorney who beat a very pricey ticket because the officer could not produce proof his radar gun was recently calibrated...

Old 05-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

I do know that radar technology is not exact, and as a general rule an officer will not pull you over for exceeding the speed limit by less than 5 mph. I've been to traffic court with a close friend and his attorney who beat a very pricey ticket because the officer could not produce proof his radar gun was recently calibrated...
Attorney on the Eastern Shore? (I'm laughing at the Eastern Shore here). We're talking Mayberry, RFD, where a number of the sheriffs are the justice of the peace. This is where Frank Purdue (chicken magnate) was deputized so they wouldn't have to keep pulling him over in his 300SEL6.3.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:27 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I got pulled over while sitting in the Jag on the side of the road searching my cellphone. A cop passed me in the opposite direction and whipped a u-turn on me and sat behind me. As soon as I pulled out he pulled me over. Said "I looked lost" -- but he claimed it was originally for driving without a front plate. LOL.

It was a hick town in Texas. I live in Dallas where about 1/3 of us do NOT use the required plate on the front.

He let me go after a verbal. I think he wanted to check out the Jag

Old 05-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts
Default NJSP Stealth Troop Car

If you are going down the New Jersey Turnpike watch out for the new Stealth Troop Car:

The New Jersey State Police unveiled the new paint scheme for some of its Chevrolet Caprice cruisers on Thursday.

The cars are sort of a hybrid of marked and undercover patrol vehicles. From a distance, the black vehicles appear to be unmarked. But up close, gray State Police branding is visible on the front doors, in an almost ghostly way.

Attached Thumbnails Have you been pulled over?-052115-njsp3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
TR64ever (05-23-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TR64ever
Google your-county-name "PBA" to find the local chapter, you can join, go to a dinner once a year and get cardboard PBA cards...

If I were to go to the dinner I find when I google my counties PBA, I'd get a Professional Bowlers Association card...

Old 05-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjamo

Lately I have been seeing a lot in red Ford pickups and new Ford Explorers in King County

Old 05-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I let cruise control do the work. My rule of thumb is:
0-40 4 miles over
40-50 6 miles over
60-65 7 miles over
70 9 miles over

On several trips up I 95 from FL to Ocean City NJ I have never been stopped YET nor have I slowed down for patrol cars in the median or on the side of the road. If I see a patrol car behind me I hit the decelerate button a few times so he doesn't see my brake lights.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Certainly not true in MD either. State smokie runs white unmarked Broncos (OJ specials). They do rolling enforcement. Marked cars(olive drab & black Crown Vics) stay in the bushes (in right-around-the-bend highway cross overs or at the top of ramps). 11 over, no reaction. 12 over, you're done and they call in an additional one or two backup units.
Broncos? Those haven't been produced since 1996. I think you meant Tahoes.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Broncos? Those haven't been produced since 1996. I think you meant Tahoes.
I'm still making installment payments for my activities in the 60's & 70's. Yes, of course, Tahoes and Ford Pickups.

Quick Reply: Have you been pulled over?