F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble justifying an F-Type V6 S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I have been a Republican longer than that and I am wondering if that is legal.
Larry

Old 03-31-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I have been a Republican longer than that and I am wondering if that is legal.
Larry
I've been a Republican for for 44 years. I don't care if it's legal anymore or not. Given the current slate, I couldn't take it any more and switched party affiliation on Monday. I draw the line at nuking Europe. (We need our spare parts).

Wow, that went OT real fast!

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (04-04-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I have been a miscegenist for the past 40 years
You own both Defender and FJ40?! I am shocked and scandalized.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
You own both Defender and FJ40?! I am shocked and scandalized.
No, just a Land Cruiser, but I do wave back at Defenders.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Jaronstoys (03-31-2016), SinF (03-31-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Land Rover drivers do it too.

I got a wave from an E type driver the other day, I was pretty happy with that, and yes I do wave to other F Type drivers, sadly I rarely get one back.
I got the BIGGEST Over the windscreen "not drowning waving" gesture from a vert XK the other day and it just made me happy as all get out. "Vert life, yo". LOL =)

Old 04-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I bought the Convertible, F-Type S, and whilst I think you make some valid points about raw data, you overlook one HUGE factor.

Youre buying soul. None of those other cars have soul, theyre just mindless copies of themselves (especially Porsches). This is the best looking and most stylish car out there (in my opinion). Its more than fast enough for driving around town and on the motorways, unless youre a proffessional racing driver, you dont need much more. If you are, then you want a dedicated race car, not a street legal car!

The following 2 users liked this post by whiskey29:
Mbourne (04-04-2016), Uncle Fishbits (04-04-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Having Trouble Justifying a F type V 6 S ...

I owned a Corvette Z06 for about 7 years. Powerful engine, but not much excitement. Ride, not comfortable at all. Quality of interior materials ... well, not the best.
Anyway, I could not justify the difference in price between a base F Type and the S. 40 additional horses, 1 second for 60 mph, and the "S" badge did not justified it for me. Instead, I went with the "smaller" base engine and invested in a fully loaded, manual transmission (the real thrill of a sports car), 20" tires with black rim, and other goodies. The R model with its massive 550 hp engine is in a different league altogether and worth very much, in my opinion, the high price, but I could not afford it.
Finally, I will just say that regardless which trim you go for, base, S, or R, this cat is a beautiful experience that will make you want to drive it more and more.

Attached Thumbnails Having trouble justifying an F-Type V6 S Coupe-image.jpeg  
Old 04-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I'd venture to say F types look great with black wheels in any color. Can't be said about many cars.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by dcompain
I owned a Corvette Z06 for about 7 years. Powerful engine, but not much excitement. Ride, not comfortable at all. Quality of interior materials ... well, not the best.
Anyway, I could not justify the difference in price between a base F Type and the S. 40 additional horses, 1 second for 60 mph, and the "S" badge did not justified it for me. Instead, I went with the "smaller" base engine and invested in a fully loaded, manual transmission (the real thrill of a sports car), 20" tires with black rim, and other goodies. The R model with its massive 550 hp engine is in a different league altogether and worth very much, in my opinion, the high price, but I could not afford it.
Finally, I will just say that regardless which trim you go for, base, S, or R, this cat is a beautiful experience that will make you want to drive it more and more.
Congrats!

I agree w/ you and made the same decision. However, you forgot to add a decimal point. The difference is .1 second to 60.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Congrats!

I agree w/ you and made the same decision. However, you forgot to add a decimal point. The difference is .1 second to 60.
I got the base over the S for a number of reasons.... but some kind forum member also alerted me to an absolutely fascinating fact:

The 40 extra hp of the "S" do not come into play until you are more than 5000rpm. That's fascinating knowledge.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I got the base over the S for a number of reasons.... but some kind forum member also alerted me to an absolutely fascinating fact:

The 40 extra hp of the "S" do not come into play until you are more than 5000rpm. That's fascinating knowledge.
I chose a AM Vantage over an R. Probably a full second or more 0 to 60, but in the real world that makes zero difference. I absolutely love everything about it, except for the key, I hate the key.

amcdonal86 (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
I chose a AM Vantage over an R. Probably a full second or more 0 to 60, but in the real world that makes zero difference. I absolutely love everything about it, except for the key, I hate the key.
Very interesting. I like it! But what's wrong with the key? I'm thinking of sliding the components of our jag key under my epidermis. LOL I am so sick of keys.

So, honestly, when I started saving 10 years ago for a car, it was for an Aston. F-Type didn't exist. After Ian left, I didn't really love all the Aston designs since Ian moved on, but they were still my "dream" car solely because nothing else came close.

When the F-Type started appearing, I would immediately notice it. Every time. It took over for about 3 different cars I would spot... it just became my car. But, like an Aston, I knew I could never afford it. When I saw the specs, then the MSRP, I was sort of baffled how it could be so affordable. I also thought it was sort of silly, that Jag actually really ate into their market. Aston would always be very aspirational, but Jags could happen for more people and have a similar experience.

I am not sure if that ate into Aston's sales, but I know they have been waning and since last year are re-targeting the wealthy female market (or so says wiki).

After the F-Type announced a manual it was all over. Case closed. But then on a whim I got into an Aston at a local dealer, and wow. I am so happy... but someday maybe. I am not wont for anything. Someday I might get into an Aston, and mad respect that you got one!!

The whole point of this was this:

Jag's F-Type *must* be taking a chunk from other nicer "supercars" and luxury vehicles, a bit? I know that we are having some conversations about the SVR positioning vs just getting a custom R the way you want it.... but where the base 6 and "S" 6 have really taken the wind out of the sales of people considering an Aston, I imagine the "R" and AM are an incredibly similar and difficult decision. Meaning, if I want an Aston but can afford a 6cyl, it's a no brainer. If I had to decide between the R and the Aston, it would be the Aston. 100%. Not sure why, but I think I am much, MUCH less likely to die severely in an AM than a R. =)

Of course, I hope to own these 3 prior to passing on. Maybe just drive... all 1960
Maserati 3500 GT Vignale Spider
Aston Martin DB 4 Series 2
Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet Series II

SinF (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

I also thought it was sort of silly, that Jag actually really ate into their market. Aston would always be very aspirational, but Jags could happen for more people and have a similar experience.

I am not sure if that ate into Aston's sales, but I know they have been waning and since last year are re-targeting the wealthy female market
Aston is planning to release Vantage S with the stick shift, so they certainly noticed. I am really glad there are still enough purists out there to create demand. For me, F-type was not even on a radar until I learned that it exists in manual.

Now that I have manual F-type my younger brother, after years of me trying to nag him to learn to drive stick, religiously taking lessons. In a month or so since I purchased it, he learned to row gears decently enough that I would consider letting him take Jag for a spin. Now, in his millennial-aged group of friends he is the only one who can drive stick. So I am afraid we are the last of the old guard.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:33 PM

Very interesting. I like it! But what's wrong with the key? I'm thinking of sliding the components of our jag key under my epidermis. LOL I am so sick of keys.II
Because it's glass and a slippery devil. I use the plastic on generally, if I drop the glass one and it shatters, it's $800 to replace. And I know with my luck I'll drop it some day.

Wealthy women, that's probably why most dealers order the automatics, and people end up destroying the clutch. That's too funny wealthy women, everyone knows wealthy women either drive a Prius, Tesla or use Uber.

Last edited by SoCalJagS; 04-09-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Aston is planning to release Vantage S with the stick shift, so they certainly noticed. I am really glad there are still enough purists out there to create demand. For me, F-type was not even on a radar until I learned that it exists in manual.

Now that I have manual F-type my younger brother, after years of me trying to nag him to learn to drive stick, religiously taking lessons. In a month or so since I purchased it, he learned to row gears decently enough that I would consider letting him take Jag for a spin. Now, in his millennial-aged group of friends he is the only one who can drive stick. So I am afraid we are the last of the old guard.
Yes the V12S 7 speed manual, only 100 to the US, I wish I could afford. The last AM naturally aspirated V12, it's kind of a last hurrah of the current generation till the next generation arrives in 2018. In fact Aston's new CEO Andy Palmer says they will continue to make manual cars into the future. He is what AM has really needed for awhile now new leadership.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...n-last-manual/

Last edited by SoCalJagS; 04-09-2016 at 01:16 AM.
SinF (04-12-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Because it's glass and a slippery devil. I use the plastic on generally, if I drop the glass one and it shatters, it's $800 to replace. And I know with my luck I'll drop it some day.

Wealthy women, that's probably why most dealers order the automatics, and people end up destroying the clutch. That's too funny wealthy women, everyone knows wealthy women either drive a Prius, Tesla or use Uber.
Many wealthy and even not so like to drive SUVs, particularly Porsche, Landrover, Mercedes.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Many wealthy and even not so like to drive SUVs, particularly Porsche, Landrover, Mercedes.
I know, I was just responding to the "wealthy women" comment. Made me laugh.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

I know, I was just responding to the "wealthy women" comment. Made me laugh.
It is positively insane at the ratio of the nicest luxury or super cars in Marin, CA that are driven by women. It seems the men take the Audi A4 or BMW, etc and the women get the first "toy" car. For awhile, I tried to keep up w/ "spotting" insane cars in this area, and I just had to totally abandon it. But in that time, it did become really clear to me just how large a market there is for female vs male drivers. I admit that 4 out of 5 F-Type drivers in this area are women.

But... so the comment doesn't seem anecdotal or out of context about Aston:
Aston Martin targets female buyers - BBC News
targeting women

Aston Martin Looks to Attract Women Customers to Luxury Car Market | Glamour
targeting working moms

Why Aston Martin Is Marketing Its 'Most Important Car' Ever to Young Female Drivers | Adweek
marketing most important car ever to young female drivers

Old 04-12-2016, 01:53 PM

It is positively insane at the ratio of the nicest luxury or super cars in Marin, CA that are driven by women. It seems the men take the Audi A4 or BMW, etc and the women get the first "toy" car. For awhile, I tried to keep up w/ "spotting" insane cars in this area, and I just had to totally abandon it. But in that time, it did become really clear to me just how large a market there is for female vs male drivers. I admit that 4 out of 5 F-Type drivers in this area are women.
I did see an F-Type S this weekend and it was indeed driven by a women, don't know if she was wealthy but she was an older women, I would say in her late 60's. She was driving slower than the flow of traffic.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

I admit that 4 out of 5 F-Type drivers in this area are women.
I find this surprising.

Quick Reply: Having trouble justifying an F-Type V6 S Coupe