F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble justifying an F-Type V6 S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Are the women in verts or coupes. What color cars?

Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
To the person who said it was "surprising" I will say it is sort of shocking to me. I like it, personally.

So a Red (not salsa) coupe, a white coupe, 2 different white verts black top (I am pretty confident it is 2), and a beautiful grey coupe with black rims. I also live one exit from the dealership, so I probably am seeing test drives more often that hits my confirmation bias. It's also possible that my selective perception has me not notice the guys... but frankly, as much as I get that "personal experience is the least valid form of proof", bias aside I am *not* going to miss an F-Type. The other bias is likely *my* town, where two of the other F-Types live, with a population of people a bit older than Marin's median age, and likely (frankly) more divorces??

I am a highly skeptical guy, so I don't like anecdotal commentary, etc. To be fair I would say 50% are female drivers around here, but I seem to manage noticing them more than the gents... which may say something about me.

But yeah... if you counted off 30 cars during commute in Tiburon, it would be pretty wild march of marquee cars and brands. I will do a "unofficial" count one day. =)

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-15-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I see more women in verts. My wife insisted on the vert even though she did really like the coupe. As for marketing to women here is my wife's latest "accessory"......we need that like a hole in the head!

From the woman who has every handbag ever made comes a key chain to match.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Where are the ladies on this forum, so they can straighten this conversation out? I thought there was at least one?

Old 04-15-2016, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

She's no longer active on the forum. She's out driving her F-Type.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, clearly we don't have as many F types here as some other areas but I've only seen ONE woman driving an F type and it was my wife! LOL!

Here, women are much more likely to be driving SLK's, Miatas and even Boxters. My wife has an SLK and I expected to sell it when I got the Jaguar but she likes it and says the F type is too big, too powerful and too "manly" for her. ....I have to admit that a small part of the reason I bought the F type over the SLK55AMG was the "girls car" image that the SLK's have....

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-15-2016, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Well, clearly we don't have as many F types here as some other areas but I've only seen ONE woman driving an F type and it was my wife! LOL!

Here, women are much more likely to be driving SLK's, Miatas and even Boxters. My wife has an SLK and I expected to sell it when I got the Jaguar but she likes it and says the F type is too big, too powerful and too "manly" for her. ....I have to admit that a small part of the reason I bought the F type over the SLK55AMG was the "girls car" image that the SLK's have....

Cheers,
Dave
+1. I have....or should I say...my wife has an SLK. I can't wait to get rid of it but she won't let me. She loves it. She likes the Jag a lot but I think she is a bit intimidated by it but she won't admit it. I'm trapped with the SLK for another year or so. By then I'll have figured out how to get her to agree to let the SLK go.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My wife likes my Mercedes SL a lot more than Jaguar. She is actually excited that I got something new so she can drive SL. She doesn't hate F-type, but it would never be her choice to drive it over other cars.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I test drove the base v6 and the v8 R after doing so i had to get the R. For myself I have learned to always go with what makes me 100% happy. if I don't I always find myself wanting it in the future. If I was planning on getting a v6 I would not recommend driving the R. If I was older and getting this car as a cruising type then the v6 might work. I love power so R was only choice for me.

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
IMO, the V8 makes much more sense to me. However, I would prefer a manual, and certainly wouldn't want AWD. I just can't get my head around the V6 S. I cannot imagine paying that much money for, IMO, somewhat tepid performance in a sports car, despite it being beautiful or luxurious, etc.

Can you V8 guys in this thread (and I see there is a substantial number of you) say you were also interested in the V6? I certainly wasn't interested in a regular XK when I bought my XKR!

amcdonal86 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I noticed the local dealer now has 4 new F-Type manual coupes for sale. Good luck selling all of those!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I noticed the local dealer now has 4 new F-Type manual coupes for sale. Good luck selling all of those!
Buy one of those base manuals at a deep discount, add another 90hp and 75 lb-ft for about $1800 and you have yourself one fun ride. I guarantee you it'll be a lot more fun/entertaining/engaging than letting most of your limbs atrophy away with an automatic.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
amcdonal86 (04-19-2016), mshedden (04-20-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Not around here. It was difficult to find one for sale and I had to settle (yes, such harsh life) for a convertible. I actually wanted coupe for more body rigidity on the track.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:34 AM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

The Jag is actually my Wife's Daily, which makes it her Car. She has it well sorted, She's 5' "tall" and petite, so what she does is set seat position 3 so the Back rest comes all the way forward, then shoves her Handbag in there, then position 1 is her driving position, which makes the back rest go back, so she has storage that hardly any Other F-Type Driver has .

She was very easy to buy for, we went to the Dealer and her only spec was " White with black interior and top" the only question our salesperson asked was " Base or S" she said " What" ??!! So I said " Base" then I added the Vision package so she wouldn't back up into anyone.

She is really good at driving a MT , in fact, her first car was one, she said it took an hour to drive home with her Dad from the Dealership, and it was only a few miles, he must have been terrified!!

Old 04-20-2016, 06:02 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I read that you guys are looking for a woman's opinion. I currently own a XF 5.0 but shopping around for a F-Type. I want the coupe because I just like the lines of it better. Prefer the S but would consider the base because I care more about the options than I do the engine. (I may regret that decision though because I love my V8) Color choices I prefer are White, Silver, or Italian Racing Red. Need an automatic because yes, I'm a woman and I can't drive a manual.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm enjoying all the comments about how the performance of the V6 is "tepid".

While I may be biased, I have had more than a few goes with vehicles that have significantly higher torque to weight ratios (remember Kids: horsepower is top speed, torque is how quickly you get there).

Then, there is the effect of gearing, and the use of 'responsive gears'. Having previously mentioned the V6's charming ability to spin the wheels in third, if you think the acceleration of the V6 is tepid, you either haven't driven one, or can't drive the one that you did.

The V8 does sound epic however...

HTH.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
I'm enjoying all the comments about how the performance of the V6 is "tepid".

While I may be biased, I have had more than a few goes with vehicles that have significantly higher torque to weight ratios (remember Kids: horsepower is top speed, torque is how quickly you get there).

Then, there is the effect of gearing, and the use of 'responsive gears'. Having previously mentioned the V6's charming ability to spin the wheels in third, if you think the acceleration of the V6 is tepid, you either haven't driven one, or can't drive the one that you did.

The V8 does sound epic however...

HTH.
I agree.....though the V8 does more than just "sound" epic.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-20-2016, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
I read that you guys are looking for a woman's opinion. I currently own a XF 5.0 but shopping around for a F-Type. I want the coupe because I just like the lines of it better. Prefer the S but would consider the base because I care more about the options than I do the engine. (I may regret that decision though because I love my V8) Color choices I prefer are White, Silver, or Italian Racing Red. Need an automatic because yes, I'm a woman and I can't drive a manual.
Hi Van. I'm not a woman but I used to own an XF 5.0, now a V6 S coupe. I think just be a little careful about the ride when choosing between the base and the S. As I have now been told, the "standard" ride in the base is significantly firmer than the standard ride in the S (the latter can be dialled up).

I have only had my car a little over a week and am finding the ride pretty good (19's and the flash seats) though when I get into my wife's XE (which has a perfect ride IMO) the difference is massive.

The engine characteristics of the S are very similar to the 5.0 NA, though it is quicker in the F Type and I never liked the sound of the 5.0 which was a bit metallic for me (different to the 5.0 SC). The engine note in the S is very nice, especially when you put your foot down.

I got the IRR and I would have had silver as well. IRR is a real head turner, literally when you drive you see people's heads spin around to look, and when I park it sometimes I come back and there are people taking pictures of it. Silver shows the lines a little better and is pretty classy, but I needed red for my mid life crisis.

Van1 (04-21-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I see both a wht. coupe and a wht./red vert driven by women numerous times in my Las Vegas suburban neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:52 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks BruceTheQuail, and your last comment cracked me up.