F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp flicker over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 07:31 AM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Headlamp flicker over bumps

As the title states, on a couple occasions. These are sharp bumps, not a mild undulating rise. If you live in a freeze thaw region you'll know what I mean. I've only driven it a few times at night, but twice I have seen a quick flicker. Not sure if it's the HID's or the running led's that flicker, and it's so quick I can't tell if it's one or both lights, but I suspect the HID's I turned the lights on this morning and banged around under the hood and checked the connections I could reach and was unable to duplicate the issue. This test was in my driveway with the car running. The switch is in the auto high beam position, so I'm going to set the lights to manual mode and see if that changes during a drive. I try to avoid bumps, and I won't intentionally hit any, so it may take a few rides.
Anyone else experience this?

Old 04-16-2022, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

Don't forget to check the security of battery and ground connections in the trunk (boot).

An overwhelming cause of electrical gremlins are caused by voltage issues (even when your battery is 'good').

At the 2022 NY Auto Show, an electric bike spokesman was touting their battery control module. Of course, they sold it AS AN ACCESSORY.
They also admitted that the most useful 'lectric bike had pedals. You know...in case you needed to go uphill and your battery was weak...

Old 04-16-2022, 08:59 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
They also admitted that the most useful 'lectric bike had pedals. You know...in case you needed to go uphill and your battery was weak...
But the point of an electric bike is it isn't electric powered - the motor is designed to give the pedaller a boost, it doesn't drive the bike itself. If you don't pedal, it won't move! Like your supercharger - it doesn't drive the engine, just gives it a bit of oomph.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Don't forget to check the security of battery and ground connections in the trunk (boot).

An overwhelming cause of electrical gremlins are caused by voltage issues (even when your battery is 'good').

At the 2022 NY Auto Show, an electric bike spokesman was touting their battery control module. Of course, they sold it AS AN ACCESSORY.
Good point. I'll start there. It's probably better than hitting the front end. I'm sure the neighbors were entertained.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:03 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Ensure that the bulb socket assembly is fully seated. It's possible that the lights aren't blinking off, but a loose bulb/socket assembly is physically moving and momentarily "re-aiming" the light beam differently. On a related note, remove the bulbs and ensure the socket electrical connection is clean, being sure to fully seat the connection when reinstalling. Note that I don't own an F-Type and am guessing about how the headlight assembly is constructed.

Last edited by kb58; 04-16-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by kb58
Ensure that the bulb socket assembly is fully seated. It's possible that the lights aren't blinking off, but a loose bulb/socket assembly is physically moving and momentarily "re-aiming" the light beam differently. On a related note, remove the bulbs and ensure the socket electrical connection is clean, being sure to fully seat the connection when reinstalling. Note that I don't own an F-Type and am guessing about how the headlight assembly is constructed.
It can't hurt to check. The left side is a bit more accessible than the other. The harnesses appear secure.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:55 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

In electrical troubleshooting, a very easy test is the "wiggle test". That is, turn on the headlights, engine off, and wiggle every wire harness and connector you can get at. It's amazing what that can uncover and costs nothing. The problem on new cars of course is access, actually getting at the harnesses and connectors...

Old 04-16-2022, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

When my car was still in its first year I noticed that one of the headlights jittered over bumps. It turns out that the two bolts holding the back of the assembly had fallen out. Different than flickering off and on, but if the place I noticed it hadn't given me a clear view of both spots of illumination I might have misdiagnosed it.

Old 04-16-2022, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
When my car was still in its first year I noticed that one of the headlights jittered over bumps. It turns out that the two bolts holding the back of the assembly had fallen out. Different than flickering off and on, but if the place I noticed it hadn't given me a clear view of both spots of illumination I might have misdiagnosed it.
Exactly. It's so quick, I haven't had a chance to differentiate a wiggle or an on/off condition definitively.

Old 04-16-2022, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by davidmaria1
Exactly. It's so quick, I haven't had a chance to differentiate a wiggle or an on/off condition definitively.
Open the hood and try wiggling the back mount of the headlight assemblies up and down. In two minutes you'll know if it's the problem I had.

Old 04-16-2022, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Open the hood and try wiggling the back mount of the headlight assemblies up and down. In two minutes you'll know if it's the problem I had.
I will. Second thing in the morning.