Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight code

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 11:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Headlight code

Hello all,

I have made an offer for a 2016 F Type R that I am very excited about. He accepted my offer, but told me that he has replaced the passenger side headlight with a used headlight last year after he ran into a bench in his garage, and it throws a code. He claims it works perfectly, but just has the code. I called my local Jag dealer and he said that they can't re-program it since it is used, and they can't mask the DCT light. Is there a way to get rid of the trouble light on the dash?

Edit- it wasn't used, it was a brand new non-automatic assembly, whatever that means. I misunderstood him. Was the automatic headlights an option, or do you think this is an aftermarket piece? Photo of it is below.

Last edited by c131frdave; 10-10-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

You need to get the code and then research what it means? Then fix the problem.
The seller does not care at this point.

Old 10-10-2023, 12:36 PM

When I called the dealer's service center, he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said the computer doesn't "see" the headlight because for some reason they made it so the headlights are encoded to the computer uniquely, and cannot be re-written. Sounds like someone is trying to make money selling parts. The Headlight assembly new is $3400....

Old 10-10-2023, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

But if you install a brand new headlamp unit, it presumably also has to be coded to the car, so why can a used one not be coded. Is its existing code paired to a different car a permanent, not changeable item? That makes no sense.

Old 10-10-2023, 01:17 PM

Okay, I just talked to him. He claims that he replaced it with a non-automatic headlight assembly. So it doesn't move and what not. The computer doesn't see it because the "smart" part isn't there. Does that seem fishy to you? He still has the old light. He said the lens is smashed in but everything else is still there. Maybe I can Frankenstein it??? What do you think? I'm as green as green gets, so any help is appreciated.

Old 10-10-2023, 01:18 PM

Oh, and he said it was brand new too. I'm wondering if it is an Ebay knockoff or something.... Do all genuine Jaguar headlights for 2016 F types have that automatic stuff built into them?

Old 10-10-2023, 01:21 PM

Here is a picture of it.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

This is a “facelift” LED lamp - wait….no it isn’t…..so the following will apply. If your car had “active” lamps that move with steering direction and are self-leveling and if the replacement does not have this or other features, then the car may recognize this as a defect, thus triggering the light.
Replacement parts should always be identical in function.

Last edited by sov211; 10-10-2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 07:44 PM

Well, I bought it. I drove it, loved it, so I bought it. The idiot light only comes on when the headlight is on. It's an HID light, but it does not turn. I have the original light, which is bashed in- the cover and HID lens is smashed, but the bottom half is still in one piece. Maybe I can cob it together with the new one. Nobody has tried something like this before?

Old 10-11-2023, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

As a point of information, the 2016 car does not have the adaptive headlamps/cornering lamps as standard. This option is the "Vision Pack" for all models including the F-Type R; but on the two 3.0 models the Vision Pack must be ordered together with "Premium Pack" (I am looking at the 2016 brochure for Canada. The US cars presumably are optioned in a similar manner).

So your R model may or may not have the full "Vision Pack" - the components of this pack, in addition to the adaptive lighting and cornering lamps, includes Intelligent High Beams, front and rear parking sensors with reverse traffic detection, rear parking camera, blind spot monitoring and auto dimming rear view mirrors.

If your car does have this option then any replacement lamp unit which did NOT include the "adaptive" lighting features would almost certainly trigger a warning light.
Can you just swap the lenses and therefore use your original lamp unit? in theory, yes, but you have to be able to heat and gently remove the lens on both lamps and replace one of them properly sealed against moisture. It can probably be done and in fact on the X-Type cars and the X150 has been done. I have not heard of any done so far on the F-Type but you could be a pioneer.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:27 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Can you just swap the lenses and therefore use your original lamp unit? in theory, yes, but you have to be able to heat and gently remove the lens on both lamps and replace one of them properly sealed against moisture. It can probably be done and in fact on the X-Type cars and the X150 has been done.
My independent did such a swap on my 2004 4.2 XKR - £200 for the glass against >£2000 for the whole unit! I'll concede the F-Type's are a tad more complicated.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM

I used the VIN lookup Decoder and the only thing it apparently has is autoleveling headlights. I don't see any mention of the vision pak or turning headlights. I had that fully moving headlight feature on my Mercedes S600 about 12 years ago and I wasn't that impressed. Anyway, it would be nice if the dealership could turn the DCT off. I'm surprised you can't. There must be a separate control module with a simple digital signal to the ECU. I wonder if you could jump that out?

Old 10-11-2023, 02:20 PM
Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

To supplement Gregory's post, I'll offer the following:

Not knowing what the seller means by 'automatic' headlight, I can only think of two features on a F-Type that might be considered as such.

The simple one is Auto High Beam Assist (AHBA). This will 'automatically' turn on/off the high beams given specific conditions. This can be turned off using the dashboard controls. Check the iGuide for specifics on the 2016 model.

The other one is much more complex. AFS, or Adaptive Front Lighting Systems, dynamically adjusts the direction and/or intensity of the headlight beams. For example, if another vehicle is detected, the bulb might pivot, OR a portion of the beam pointing directly at that vehicle will be dimmed (LED multi-lights). Another example might be having the bulb pivot when making a turn. Obviously, these are safety features that require a lot of sensors as well as headlights capable of making such adjustments.

It's important to note that, until a new ruling by the NHTSA on Feb 15th, 2022, AFS systems were illegal to be installed on vehicles sold in the United States, although very common in the rest of the world.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...safety-drivers

I have no idea how JLR disabled AFS in the US market, but I could see it being done either with fixed software configuration base on market - using the VIN - or (surprise!) neutered headlamps. Perhaps the seller obtained one of such headlamps... or was told so by his source.

Also, for the 2021 model year (my car), only the "R" models offered AFS. I suspect that was the same in 2016. I did find where someone is offering a remanufactured headlight for a "Coupe with Factory Adaptive Headlights". I suspect the seller didn't buy one of these.
https://www.carid.com/2015-jaguar-f-...573764585.html

At any rate, I suspect the car would be confused. It's like having a pair of expensive photo-gray glasses, where one lens does work. The car, having a limited language, can only send an "it don't work" message.

Just my nickel's worth.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (10-11-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 05:09 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Huh. My 2018 XE has adaptive headlights which pivot when cornering. Didn’t realize I was a rebel.

Old 10-12-2023, 08:45 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Huh. My 2018 XE has adaptive headlights which pivot when cornering. Didn’t realize I was a rebel.
My 2010 XKR had them too, and cornering lights. So in a way, my F-Type is a step backwards in the lighting department. Though I do have LEDs, so maybe that balances things out.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
My 2010 XKR had them too, and cornering lights. So in a way, my F-Type is a step backwards in the lighting department. Though I do have LEDs, so maybe that balances things out.
Re: cornering lights: Yes, so did my 2007 XK… not sure how the F-Type is a step backwards in thus regard. And my Dad’s 1966 Mercury Park Lane also had cornering lights!

Old 10-13-2023, 11:25 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Re: cornering lights: Yes, so did my 2007 XK… not sure how the F-Type is a step backwards in thus regard. And my Dad’s 1966 Mercury Park Lane also had cornering lights!
I previously owned a 2015 F-Type S that found a deer in one on my headlamps. Along with the front fascia the body shop replaced the left headlamp. That's when I noticed that the headlamps were aimed at the ground. When I looked closer I noticed that the interior of the left headlamp was painted black as opposed to silver like the right one. Another look determined that the replacement headlamp had a small LED cornering lamp affixed to the inside/right side of the headlamp. Unfortunately, my 2015 came equipped with no options whereas the replacement headlamp was for a F-Type that had adaptive (i.e. cornering light) headlamps like equipped on my 2016 F-Type S. The wiring harness used the identical connector for both types of headlamp, the only difference being that my 2015 wiring harness connector had two fewer prongs. Presumably, the prongs controlled the cornering lights internal to the headlamp. The result was that the HID headlight beam wouldn't come up. Oh, yeh! In 2017 the correct headlamp for my unoptioned F-Type was ruffly US$1,500 and the one equipped with the cornering light cost about US$2,500.

I recently ran into a similar issue when the DRL/turn signal failed on the left headlamp to my wife's 2018 F-Type R-Dynamic. The dealer replaced the LED headlamp with one that had automatic high beams. My wife's car doesn't have automatic high beams (for a US$99,995 list price vehicle to not have high beam assist is unbelievable) and, again, the headlamps wouldn't rise. They projected 35 feet ahead but perfectly lit up the right shoulder of the road.

In both cases replacement headlamps were ordered using the car's VIN. And, in both cases, improper headlamps were supplied. Fortunately, the correct replacement headlamps were ultimately installed. I also learned that LED headlamps can be adjusted vertically using a #6 Allen wrench but horizontal adjustment is automatically done by the car (i.e. the technician is unable to program horizontal alignment, according to the technician).

DJS (10-17-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

As a clarification, the term “cornering light” refers to a separate lamp (which may be within the main headlamp unit as on the Jaguars) which is designed to throw light to the side as the car is turning or about to turn. They are most often triggered by the turn signal switch.
This term does NOT refer to the main headlamp which pivots through a certain number of degrees when these headlamps are ON and the steering wheel is turned. Most often this feature is combined with a self-levelling capability.

The 1966 Mercury mentioned had neither self-levelling nor pivoting lamps but most definitely had large rectangular lamps mounted in the front fenders, actuated by the turn signals.

Last edited by sov211; 10-14-2023 at 12:42 AM.
Ichi Ban (10-14-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

On my 2017 SVR the cornering light is triggered by the steering wheel. At low speeds as I turn the wheel to the left or right the extra light comes on that side. Very noticeable at night.

Old 10-14-2023, 08:06 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I imagine he has the vision pack on the car. I have a 2016 as well with adaptive headlights and would presume the light is because it cannot turn as the other OEM headlight can. As for as the dealer goes-well $3500 is of course crazy. Secondly I have seen many YouTubers update the headlights to the newer LED assembly so it can be done and could replace both with OEM used ones off Ebay for much less than a dealer wants for the older style single headlight.