F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Question

Still getting used to my new F Type and have a question about other people's experience with their headlights on the F Type. It seems to me that the driver's side headlight has a shorter throw than the passenger side. In other words, the beams don't seem to me to be evenly projected in front of the vehicle. When the car switches to auto high beam every thing is nicely lit up, of course. But in my opinion, on regular beams the road ahead is not brightly lit or evenly lit on the low beams. Both head lamps are working, just not lighting up the road as brightly as I would expect. Any thoughts?

Old 06-17-2020, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Working as designed, for the benefit of on-coming drivers. It doesn't apply to high beams, since you wouldn't have them on when you're passing other cars.
If you drive one from the UK, you'll see the same thing on the opposite side.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (06-23-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

My headlights look fine/ normal/ even. I have F-Type R AWD with HID's. They are very bright and work as expected. Maybe there is an issue with your auto leveling on yours?

DC

Old 06-18-2020, 12:35 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Concur, that it's by design. I see it on mine. It's not a dramatic difference but you can consistently see it in pictures posted of the beam pattern (there are a few threads on the forum about picking headlight bulbs, for example).

JacksonvilleJag (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

As mentioned, there are several Topics here about adjusting headlight aim. (That is the search term I used) That's the first step, making sure both light patterns are the same height (when illuminated against a wall).

You only need a 6 mm hex (Allen) wrench to adjust them. We adjusted ours within a week of purchase!

Make sure you don't blind oncoming drivers by assuring that the 'hot spot' of the beam drops as you back away from the wall/garage door.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:12 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

I've seen something before about the beams on the driver's side being less projected than the passenger side as others have said, but I cannot find anything on it now. I did find this that I thought was interesting:ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM (AFS)

The Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) is designed to give the driver improved visibility.
The AFS is active when the lighting control is in the AUTO position and dipped beams are selected. See LIGHTING CONTROL.
The AFS deactivates when high beam is selected, when dipped beam is not operating in AUTO mode, or when the vehicle’s transmission is in Park (P).

The AFS automatically adjusts the headlight beams to suit the vehicle’s speed and weather conditions, as follows:
Country mode: A standard headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds between 48 and 110 km/h (30 to 70 mph).
City mode: A wider headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds up to 48 km/h (30 mph).
Motorway mode: A raised headlight beam that operates at vehicle speeds above 110 km/h (70 mph).
Adverse weather mode: Operates when the wipers have been active for more than 2 minutes and the vehicle’s speed is below 64 km/h (40 mph).

Old 06-19-2020, 09:41 AM

Thanks Carbuff, I tried to adjust the headlight aim as suggested and did not see any difference when moving the adjustment nut 360 degrees in either direction. So, I moved it back to the original location. Which nut should I be adjusting to adjust the "throw" or distance of the beam? The top of bottom with the bottom being the nut closes to the driver and the top being the nut closest to the front of the car? I know one is for left right and the other is for up down.

Jacksonville Jag, interesting information. I'll investigate the AFS as well.

As a side note, my service advisor agrees with uncheel, normal operation. But it sure is hard to see the road at night and something seems off to me.

Regards,

Old 06-19-2020, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I couldn't find the original Topic I used when I bought my car that points out the adjustment. (Where's the Brain-Fart emoji?)

But there are two 6mm hex adjusters, I think its the rearward one. You should see the hot-spot of the beam move up & down.

The topic said that 3/4 turn is usually enough but I got the best results with ~ 1 - 1.5 turns higher.

I'll further qualify my answer by saying that it pertains to the HID headlamps. If your car has the factory later LEDs, well, never mind...

Old 06-19-2020, 11:23 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Found this in the repair manual:

Each headlamp assembly is secured to the front body structure with three bolts and washers. The rear of the headlamp assembly has a removable cap for access to the xenon headlamp bulb. The headlamp assembly has two adjustment screws on the rear which allow for the manual setting of the vertical and horizontal alignment. Two types of headlamp are available; xenon or xenon with AFS. The xenon with AFS headlamp has a swiveling projector module which moves the headlamp beam in the direction of travel. Headlamp assemblies with the AFS headlamp also feature a cornering lamp and a static bending lamp, which illuminates the inside of a corner when turning at low speed. Both types of headlamp incorporate static automatic leveling. The headlamp beam pattern is suitable for driving on either side of the road. There is no need for any mechanical adjustment or external decals.

Phantomf4collector (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 12:01 PM

Thanks Jacksonville Jag, The graphic you posted is exactly what I am seeing on my car for the "throw" of the headlights, but of course reversed since we drive on the right side. So, thanks to all but I will leave it as is since it is operating as intended.

Regards,

Old 08-11-2021, 11:53 AM
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Bumping an old thread.

My '15 F-Type R (Left hand drive) has very low throw on the passenger (right side) low beams. Tried to adjust up, and reached the max with the clicking noise when trying to adjust further. Unfortunately, the throw of the headlights is still very short! Driver side I was able to adjust up to what is normal (and it can go even higher than parallel to ground), but right side wont go further than ~20 yards (~18 meters). Has anyone been able to adjust their headlight angle/throw/aim more than this? If so, how? Its aggravating that my headlights don't line up with each other...

Ill post pictures tonight if anyone is interested.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

has very low throw on the passenger (right side) low beams.
Have you verified that the bulb assembly is properly seated in the headlamp housing?

Are L and R bulbs the same? (Occurred to me that perhaps a DPO replaced one with a different model bulb. There is a Topic about bulbs around here, somewhere)

Nodnarb (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Have you verified that the bulb assembly is properly seated in the headlamp housing?

Are L and R bulbs the same? (Occurred to me that perhaps a DPO replaced one with a different model bulb. There is a Topic about bulbs around here, somewhere)
I have not verified either of those. I will inspect and report back.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:56 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Also check that the headlamp assembly isn't loose or cracked. You can access the bolts through a service port in the wheel well.