F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heartbroken, I’m done! Thanks for the memories!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 06:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Heartbroken, I’m done! Thanks for the memories!

I’ve had enough! Looks like my F-Type got the better of me! It’s been in the shop more than it’s been out over the last year ! Putting a new motor in it again and selling it! I loved driving it! Haha it didn’t love me!

Had multiple camshaft sensor codes Memorial Day weekend that we couldn’t figure out the issues. Thought maybe it was an adjuster . It’s been sitting at the shop waiting for it’s day in a bay! . Finally pulled the covers to look at the Camshafts and this is what We saw! Looks like there are screws missing on the cam caps, causing the failure. Motor has 11k miles on it

Top Answer

04-19-2022, 09:03 PM
Madscott

Remember this thread? Well I do. It’s been 11 months since my F-type went down. I was done , heartbroken. Fighting the Indy shop and their issue with the motor supplier, I took matters into my own hands. With no real explanation for the delay, I finally have a new used motor delivered to the repair shop. It’s been awhile, but It’s either the weather is perfect for Vert driving or Jaguar is in my blood, but I’m not ready to give up . Hopefully the install won’t take too long. Memorial Day weekend will mark one year at the repair shop. Ridiculous I know, but threatening lawsuits and meeting with attorneys accomplished nothing by anguish . So I decided to just relax, I’ll be around, especially when I hear the growl of the motor again. Will update soon.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:12 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

missing screws? wouldn't that be the mechanics fault and not the car itself?

Old 08-25-2021, 09:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do not give up hope

I spoke with my local repair shop sonce 1984. They have always been straight. I spoke with them about working on my 2016 Jaguar for the rest of my life. I special ordered it and I will go far and wide to fix it. They told me that cars are cars. They are all internal combustion engines. They have the same sensors and tools. You and the cars do not need to go to Jaguar. Dealer mechanics are the worst. It is where they start their career. The local repair facility said as long as they are allowed to have it for some time (to get parts and figure what the hell Jaguar did).they can fix it. I have known these men for at least 30 years and they have never let me down.

Go away from the dealer and give it a shot. If you love the car this much it will love you. Nothing good happens at a Jaguar Dealer Service Department. Call me at 248 949-3212 and I will listen to your story. I will help you find a good mechanic. I will take no money. I know how good they right car feels. You deserve that.

Matt

The following 10 users liked this post by mwigent:
datriani (04-25-2022), Ilyushin79 (04-23-2022), Jdwoody17 (06-09-2022), kb58 (04-19-2022), MajorTom (08-26-2021), OldCoot (04-25-2022), Rob Schwartz (06-08-2022), Steineronbass (08-25-2021), SVR 575 (09-04-2021), WhatInTarnation (08-26-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-25-2021, 10:38 PM
Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Madscott
I’ve had enough! Looks like my F-Type got the better of me! It’s been in the shop more than it’s been out over the last year ! Putting a new motor in it again and selling it! I loved driving it! Haha it didn’t love me!

Had multiple camshaft sensor codes Memorial Day weekend that we couldn’t figure out the issues. Thought maybe it was an adjuster . It’s been sitting at the shop waiting for it’s day in a bay! . Finally pulled the covers to look at the Camshafts and this is what We saw! Looks like there are screws missing on the cam caps, causing the failure. Motor has 11k miles on it

Sorry to hear that. But for those lacking in engine internal knowledge what did not having those screws cause?

Old 08-26-2021, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

What was the mileage on the car when you purchased it?

Old 08-28-2021, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ftyperegistry
Sorry to hear that. But for those lacking in engine internal knowledge what did not having those screws cause?
those caps hold the cam shaft tight in place , rotating at 5-6000 revolutions per minute, minute vibrations stress the integrity of the shaft itself to the point of metal fatigue and failure! It appears that it failed a few miles before I stopped driving it by the heat discoloration of the shaft!

Old 08-28-2021, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
What was the mileage on the car when you purchased it?

I actually don’t remember , I think 32k

Old 08-28-2021, 07:56 PM

The funny thing is I keep hearing the motor internals are almost bullet proof on the AJ 133 motor. Seems I got 2 unicorns! Foreign object damage of unknown origin to a piston and screws working free on cam caps! I probably should play the lottery using a combination of the VIN!

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (09-03-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

The screws are missing as in they were never there in the first place? Or they're rattling around somewhere in there now?

Old 09-01-2021, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

I actually don’t remember , I think 32k
The funny thing is I keep hearing the motor internals are almost bullet proof on the AJ 133 motor. Seems I got 2 unicorns! Foreign object damage of unknown origin to a piston and screws working free on cam caps! I probably should play the lottery using a combination of the VIN!
Were they both used? It's possible, you were the unlucky recipient of some previous miss-treatment or bad work.

Sorry to hear/read this is the second one which has given you fits. Depending on the cost, it may be better to fix it than to buy another used car which may also have unknown problems. At least with this on, you know where you stand.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Were they both used? It's possible, you were the unlucky recipient of some previous miss-treatment or bad work.

Sorry to hear/read this is the second one which has given you fits. Depending on the cost, it may be better to fix it than to buy another used car which may also have unknown problems. At least with this on, you know where you stand.
the motor was solid when I bought it, I took the car on a 1400 mile trip with no issues. My original issue started after taking it to a dealer in south Atlanta. Things spiraled down after that. The second motor is under warranty, so the cost will be minimum, maybe $600 for diagnostic and other repairs made. At least it’s not the $19,500 I spent on the first repair. The third motor will as well, at least for the duration of the second motor warranty!
If I buy another F-type, it will have at least a three year factory warranty remaining!

Old 09-03-2021, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 693 Posts

the motor was solid when I bought it, I took the car on a 1400 mile trip with no issues. My original issue started after taking it to a dealer in south Atlanta. Things spiraled down after that. The second motor is under warranty, so the cost will be minimum, maybe $600 for diagnostic and other repairs made. At least it’s not the $19,500 I spent on the first repair. The third motor will as well, at least for the duration of the second motor warranty!
If I buy another F-type, it will have at least a three year factory warranty remaining!
I'm real curious as to why the bolts are missing? Left out after repairs? What kind of repairs? Broken off? or just vibrated out??? Something caused this. As properly torqued bolts would not just vibrate out. I worked on motorcycle engines with similar, Double overhead cams that would turn well over 10 grand and ever some as high as 14 grand I never saw bolts back out of the cam towers / caps like that. I'd sure as heck like to know what the sam heck is happening to cause such a failure. Cause this ain't normal.

Jack

Mark7Seven (04-22-2022)
Old 09-03-2021, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
I'm real curious as to why the bolts are missing? Left out after repairs? What kind of repairs? Broken off? or just vibrated out??? Something caused this. As properly torqued bolts would not just vibrate out. I worked on motorcycle engines with similar, Double overhead cams that would turn well over 10 grand and ever some as high as 14 grand I never saw bolts back out of the cam towers / caps like that. I'd sure as heck like to know what the sam heck is happening to cause such a failure. Cause this ain't normal.

Jack
No real idea why they were missing. there were no repairs, that was supposedly a never before opened factory sealed motor with 10k on the clock. But when you buy used, you just never know. Used was 1/2 the price of new.
Well actually one idea. Instead of a new used motor, the motor supplier sent a reman’d motor.

Last edited by Madscott; 09-03-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

No real idea why they were missing. there were no repairs, that was supposedly a never before opened factory sealed motor with 10k on the clock. But when you buy used, you just never know. Used was 1/2 the price of new.
Well actually one idea. Instead of a new used motor, the motor supplier sent a reman’d motor.
You have no doubt hit on the answer: a very badly remanufactured motor. To have bolts missing or bolts that have backed out is truly bizarre. I'm sorry that you've had this bad experience.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:12 AM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Looking at the pictures it appears there are witness marks on the cam caps where a bolt was tightened down.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:03 PM

Remember this thread? Well I do. It’s been 11 months since my F-type went down. I was done , heartbroken. Fighting the Indy shop and their issue with the motor supplier, I took matters into my own hands. With no real explanation for the delay, I finally have a new used motor delivered to the repair shop. It’s been awhile, but It’s either the weather is perfect for Vert driving or Jaguar is in my blood, but I’m not ready to give up . Hopefully the install won’t take too long. Memorial Day weekend will mark one year at the repair shop. Ridiculous I know, but threatening lawsuits and meeting with attorneys accomplished nothing by anguish . So I decided to just relax, I’ll be around, especially when I hear the growl of the motor again. Will update soon.

The following 11 users liked this post by Madscott:
bcbruno (04-20-2022), Cirving (04-20-2022), DJS (04-20-2022), Jdwoody17 (06-09-2022), kb58 (04-19-2022), Mahjik (04-20-2022), SassySarah (04-20-2022), Therock88 (04-20-2022), uncheel (04-20-2022), Uncle Fishbits (04-21-2022), winstonsalemncxk (04-20-2022) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-20-2022, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 424 Posts

I remember your thread and am glad your on a path forward. If you can make it up to the F-Type gathering in May, you'd be welcome and find lots of support. And, if your car isn't ready, you can ride shotgun. Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by uncheel:
Madscott (04-23-2022), winstonsalemncxk (04-20-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Commenting to get the update... but congrats. My 2016 engine failed because of an 02 sensor update and I think was in the shop a total of 8 times for 3 months? I cannot even remember. But my service department sucks so bad, and just had normal service that took a freaking month because of some codes, a bolt issue, etc. all so weird and frustrating. If it goes down in warranty, I'll just go back to a well maintained classic that is a car and not 32 computers. I hear most new cars have these vexxing issues, but seems like I'm the only one that consistently has to deal with nonsense like that.

Old 04-23-2022, 02:59 PM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck, and I'm hoping for a joyous update!

Madscott (04-23-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 03:55 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
... My 2016 engine failed because of an 02 sensor update...
Hopefully you didn't have to pay for that, as there's no way an owner can be responsible for the consequences of an factory update.

Madscott (04-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Heartbroken, I’m done! Thanks for the memories!