Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello everyone - my introductory post

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 10:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hello everyone - my introductory post

Hello there,
I'm looking forward to exchanging views and information on this forum, certainly now that the evenings are dark and cold. I'm an Englishman, living in Cologne Germany for the last twenty odd years and have just bought a secondhand 2018 F-Type 400 Sport convertible to "keep the chin up" while the world is going collectively mad. It compliments my beautiful 2020 Range Rover Sport, by being so different to drive on just about every conceivable level. I'm really pleased with these two cars, but have a slight problem with the IT people who have developed the JLR Incontrol Apps - I wonder if any of you can help.

Apparently, I can register both of my JLR cars on their respective Jaguar and Land Rover Incontrol websites, but cannot use both apps on the same mobile phone at the same time. My phone says that I must delete the Land Rover app if I want to use the Jaguar one - which is plain stupid. Have any other forum members witnessed such conflict between cars from the same stable, and if yes, does anybody know of a workaround?
All the best,
Andy

Old 12-16-2021, 11:10 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to the board and congrats on the new car. I came from a RRSS and now in a V6S but didn't have both at the same time so never had this issue. BUT I was planning on picking up a 2nd car and was thinking of the RR again. Will be interested to see what the resolution for this is. Good luck and hope there's an easy answer. Please post a pic if you have one.

The following users liked this post:
Andy Dorn (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 11:34 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Welcome! Two great vehicles to enjoy! My initial plan was to buy a 400 Sport (love everything about it), but a very nice R came available at a great deal and I jumped at the chance.
Enjoy the ride!

Andy Dorn (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Something you can try, but I have no idea if this will address the problem. If you have Android and specifically a Samsung, you can try using the Workspaces. This would be similar to having a "Work" workspace and a "Personal" workspace which should keep them logically separate. Just in this case, it's a separate workspace to work around an application limitation.

Old 12-16-2021, 12:55 PM

Thanks Mahjik, I have Android, but on a Huawei P20 Pro. I see what you're suggesting and will have a look see. Thanks again

Old 12-16-2021, 04:35 PM
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome! Nice to see someone from this part of the world. Unless you already tried it you should pop down to Lux for some amazing F-Type roads.

The whole incontrol solution is clearly pretty glitchy so this doesn't surprise me. Hope you get it sorted though. There must be loads of people in your situation and it would be very odd if it wasn't possible to access a Jag and a Land Rover from the same device.

Old 12-17-2021, 11:10 AM

Thanks Major Tom, Luxembourg roads are an interesting thought. I think I shall probably wait until the good weather returns, though. You car's colour combo is awesome

Old 12-17-2021, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Dorn
Thanks Major Tom, Luxembourg roads are an interesting thought. I think I shall probably wait until the good weather returns, though. You car's colour combo is awesome
Cheers Andy. I do love this colour combo too.

Yeah, we have some properly nice roads across the country and along the Mosel around here. Super smooth tarmac, nice views, not much traffic, hardly any cameras and cheap petrol. We've been talking with a chap from Saarbrücken to have some kind of F-Type meetup around here when the good weather returns. I've set up a little F-Type facebook group for Lux and the surrounding area in case you want to join in.

Old 12-18-2021, 05:22 AM

Hi Tom,
That sounds brilliant and is one of the reasons why I bought this car. I'd love to be kept informed of your group, but I'm not on FB any more. I ordered some bespoke luggage from "Bagworld" that should be delivered today, and the idea was that my wife and I would travel over long weekends on some super roads and stay in nice hotels and eat at superb restaurants. Presuming the panicdemic will have fizzled by Springtime - we're really up for this! I'll try and upload some photos when the light is right.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:40 AM

Sounds like you got the perfect car for that Andy. I can spontaneously come to think of two good long weekend destinations.

1. Go through Luxembourg to Champagne in France, e.g. to Epernay. Obviously no shortage of good drinks and restaurants over there and some rather nice roads as well.

2. Go through Luxembourg to Alsace in France, e.g. to Colmar which is a lovely place with some superb restaurants. The nice thing with that route is that you can tick off the amazing Route des Cretes that goes through the Vosges mountains. Did it twice this year in the F-Type. One of the finest driving roads in France and actually a bit similar to the legendary Route Napoleon if you're familiar with that one.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:09 AM

I guess I know France rather well - I lived in Grenoble for eighteen years and Fontainebleau for one year

From Grenoble, I regularly took the Route Napoleon down to Cap Antibes and getting back onto that would suit me fine ... I can smell the lavender and hear the cicadas already! I don't know the Route des Cretes though - sounds great

Old 12-18-2021, 10:14 AM

Must have been great living in Grenoble. Plenty of nice roads around there and above all the Route Napoleon. Would have loved to live that close to the Route Napoleon. We've been driving down to different parts of the riviera and Languedoc Roussillon every year over the past 15 years or so but I never took the time to take the Route Napoleon until September this year.

Yep, can really recommend Route des Cretes. It's really not far off from Route Napoleon in terms of driving experience and it's more accessible since it's not that far down south. This is an example of what it looks like - a shot from a drive back from Tuscany earlier this year.

Andy Dorn (12-22-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 03:51 PM
Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts

Ah, the Route Napoleon! That last time I drove that road was in 2013 in an XK8 Conv, My wife and I were in Sanremo for business and took the scenic route back home to Stuttgart. What I'd forgotten about when planning the trip was that my wife was 7 months pregnant! What should have been a 'fun' trip, turned into 200 mile ordeal of "Slow down! The baby!" and "I need a pee!" every 15 mins.

St Moritz to Chur is another good drive....in the summer!

wombat

Andy Dorn (12-20-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 04:10 PM

Yeah, gotta love the Route Napoleon! And as you say, there are some pretty epic drives in Switzerland too. The day I took the shot above I started out along lake Como in Italy, took the Gotthardpass, Furkapass and Grimselpass plus a bunch of other epic roads in Switzerland and topped it off with Route des Cretes on the way home back to Lux.

Sorry for highjacking your thread btw Andy. Hard not to get a bit carried away when thinking about nice drives.

Andy Dorn (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 03:26 AM

There's no highjacking going on - I've known "Wombat" for years, from when we were on the Roadfly forum with our XK8's. My F-Type bespoke luggage set was delivered today, so I'll try to get the time to pack out the car and take a few snaps for posting.
Should get the "wanderlust" juices flowing
Cheers fellas!

Old 12-20-2021, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Congrats on the car. I looking to possibly purchase a '22 RR sport for the wife and should have the same problem soon. From your post, seems like you are like the RR sport. We had a '15 LR4 but expect the RR sport will be quite different? Happy trails!

Andy Dorn (12-22-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I have a Land Rover and the F Type. Both with in control. I run both the Jag and the LR in control apps on my iPhone. Both accounts are registered, logged in and work fine. So maybe an android issue. But it does / should work!

Andy Dorn (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 02:15 AM

Thanks for that reply - my Android phone is coming up for renewal in a couple of months, and your post gives more impetus to changing back to an iPhone. Most encouraging, thanks again

Old 12-24-2021, 09:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
I have a Land Rover and the F Type. Both with in control. I run both the Jag and the LR in control apps on my iPhone. Both accounts are registered, logged in and work fine. So maybe an android issue. But it does / should work!
I have a Defender with the Pivi-Pro + Incontrol Remote. So I hope my InControl app also works with the Touch-Pro system in the F-Type when it arrives.

Andy Dorn (12-25-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 07:11 AM

keep us informed on progress. My phone subscription comes up for renewal early in the New Year, so we'll see if the return to Apple helps. My next little task for 2022 is to find how to get Apple CarPlay onto the 2018 F-Type because driving around without Waze giving me the "head's up" for where the radars lurk is a bit nerve racking. I'm actually observing the road signs, ffs!

Defender/RRS and F-Type is the best combination in my mind - is your F-Type a convertible?

Merry Christmas