F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Can't decide what car to choose

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help! Can't decide what car to choose

I currently own a 2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury, I like it but I think I want something a bit more sporty for my age (24). My fiance always wanted a convertible and I think that is what I would be getting next, however I can't decide what convertible...

The F type is definitely my dream car, however right now it's a bit out of my price range, if I don't want to spend all the extra money I'm saving towards the car payment/insurance.

I am trying to decide between a 2015 Mini Cooper roadster, the new 2016 Mazda miata, a 2010 porsche Boxster, or just keep saving up until the f types are cheaper and I have more money. I have never driven any of those cars, curious to see if anyone has and can give me some good comparisons? If all else fails, I can just test drive all of them and see what is the most fun to drive. Thanks!

Last edited by gpennington; 04-12-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I would recommend looking at a new or used 2014 F type base model. There should be some good deals with the 2016 models coming out and you would be eligible for the JCNA $2500 discount.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
I would recommend looking at a new or used 2014 F type base model. There should be some good deals with the 2016 models coming out and you would be eligible for the JCNA $2500 discount.
You are probably right, the 2014s should drop in price once the 2016s start coming out, how would I use the JCNA discount? Do you get it just for owning a Jaguar?

Old 04-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Save for the F-Type

Now there are a few cars that are fun to drive and perhaps more practical. My 2010 Audi S5 Cabriolet was a wonderful car and you can pick one of these up in good condition for not a lot of money. However before we bought the F-Type we looked at a lot of cars including the Mini, the F-Type was hands down the most fun and the grin you get when you drive it is priceless. Keep looking you should be able to find a 2014 that hasn't been beat to death for a reasonable price before year end. If not check out the S5. The Miata is fun, but it depends on how long in the upper body you are. I couldn't take looking at the top of the windshield all the time and I'm 5'11" but have relatively short legs. You only go around once, might as well have a great time in the process!

Old 04-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gpennington
I currently own a 2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury, I like it but I think I want something a bit more sporty for my age (24). My fiance always wanted a convertible and I think that is what I would be getting next, however I can't decide what convertible...

The F type is definitely my dream car, however right now it's a bit out of my price range, if I don't want to spend all the extra money I'm saving towards the car payment/insurance.

I am trying to decide between a 2015 Mini Cooper roadster, the new 2016 Mazda miata, a 2010 porsche Boxster, or just keep saving up until the f types are cheaper and I have more money. I have never driven any of those cars, curious to see if anyone has and can give me some good comparisons? If all else fails, I can just test drive all of them and see what is the most fun to drive. Thanks!
I would wait for used Fypes to drop in value for another year or even better, get XE when it is launched in less than a year and so far XE had great reviews.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I doubt anyone has driven the 2016 Miata yet since pre-orders don't even start until May 5th.

The Miata will be the best handling of the bunch. However, it will still lack the overall driving sensation of a Boxster or the F-Type. The F-Type will be the vehicle that people notice. It will be the one that people will come up and ask you questions about. However, the F-Type is not the one I would want to take to the track out of that bunch. That's not a bad thing it's just that the Boxster and Miata will be better suited for that task.

If you heart is set on a F-Type, hold out and save up for what you really want. If you just want a sporty convertible, the 2016 Miata or a user Boxster will definitely be great cars themselves. Whatever you decide, don't put yourself in financial distress for it. You are young so many good things are still to come your way.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Mahjik,
All great advice!

Old 04-12-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
Now there are a few cars that are fun to drive and perhaps more practical. My 2010 Audi S5 Cabriolet was a wonderful car and you can pick one of these up in good condition for not a lot of money. However before we bought the F-Type we looked at a lot of cars including the Mini, the F-Type was hands down the most fun and the grin you get when you drive it is priceless. Keep looking you should be able to find a 2014 that hasn't been beat to death for a reasonable price before year end. If not check out the S5. The Miata is fun, but it depends on how long in the upper body you are. I couldn't take looking at the top of the windshield all the time and I'm 5'11" but have relatively short legs. You only go around once, might as well have a great time in the process!
Thanks for the input! The miata does look quite small, I was considering the mini because of the gas mileage it gets and it has a more unique look than the miata. Although it does seem a bit slow in the 0-60 range from what I was reading, but I guess that doesn't matter a whole lot. My fiance thinks we should get a more reasonable/economical car as our XF is a gas guzzler, but it definitely makes me feel good when that V8 screams when you press the gas! The S5 does look good however I am feeling like I want more of a 2 seater roadster kind of car, looks more sporty

Old 04-12-2015, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
I doubt anyone has driven the 2016 Miata yet since pre-orders don't even start until May 5th.

The Miata will be the best handling of the bunch. However, it will still lack the overall driving sensation of a Boxster or the F-Type. The F-Type will be the vehicle that people notice. It will be the one that people will come up and ask you questions about. However, the F-Type is not the one I would want to take to the track out of that bunch. That's not a bad thing it's just that the Boxster and Miata will be better suited for that task.

If you heart is set on a F-Type, hold out and save up for what you really want. If you just want a sporty convertible, the 2016 Miata or a user Boxster will definitely be great cars themselves. Whatever you decide, don't put yourself in financial distress for it. You are young so many good things are still to come your way.
Haha sorry I was more talking about if anyone has driving the more recent models of miatas (I think the 2016 should feel pretty similar to a 2015/2014). You are right though, I see a lot of boxsters around where I live, they are very common. I think I may end up just saving for an f-type, I can already see myself still wanting an f-type no matter what car I choose :P It will just take a bit longer than I would want, it's such a beautiful car!

Old 04-12-2015, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by f1champ
I would wait for used Fypes to drop in value for another year or even better, get XE when it is launched in less than a year and so far XE had great reviews.
The XE is something I may consider later down the road if I'm going to have kids/need a more reasonable car, right now I guess I am just going through a little life crises and need an unreasonable car haha

Old 04-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

You are probably right, the 2014s should drop in price once the 2016s start coming out, how would I use the JCNA discount? Do you get it just for owning a Jaguar?
Join the Jaguar Club of North America or join the closest local Jaguar club and the national membership will be included. Then your JCNA membership number qualifies you for the discount.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

(Mr Boring here)...without knowing the individual situation...at 24 and on the road to marriage you would probably be best advised to be leaning toward putting money into appreciating property rather than a highly depreciating money-no-object luxury sports car.

You could get a nice, slightly used 2014-15 Miata for probably 25K or less, or maybe a slightly used Nissan 370Z coupe or vert (its no F-type, but still...probably less than half the price), plus they both probably will retain value better, as well as being more economical to service and maintain (people here are paying $200 for an oil change if I recollect... just saying...).

Old 04-12-2015, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by mshedden
(Mr Boring here)...without knowing the individual situation...at 24 and on the road to marriage you would probably be best advised to be leaning toward putting money into appreciating property rather than a highly depreciating money-no-object luxury sports car.

You could get a nice, slightly used 2014-15 Miata for probably 25K or less, or maybe a slightly used Nissan 370Z coupe or vert (its no F-type, but still...probably less than half the price), plus they both probably will retain value better, as well as being more economical to service and maintain (people here are paying $200 for an oil change if I recollect... just saying...).
Might be the boring thing to do but definitely the smartest, as much as I would love an f-type, I wouldn't be able to really afford one right now anyways, I would have no choice but to wait another year or so. I do want to have some top down fun for a few years at least, also my insurance would decrease around $1000 a year with the miata, and around $500 for the mini cooper (non s version). The mini does get better gas mileage and in my opinion looks better than the miata (at least the 2015 version). So if I really wanted fun little roadster for now, I am torn between those 2.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Agree with the advice posted here, but don't be too quick to rule out a used Boxster. It is a fabulous car. Incredibly well balanced, superb handling, quick, and a lot fun to drive. It doesn't deliver the all-out thrills of the F Type, not much for the price can, but it is a genuinely excellent car with a great blend of performance, prestige and heritage. It's definitely one to test and you can find decent examples for reasonable prices.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

I cast my vote for the Miata. Since its inception in 1989 it's launched the resurgence of the roadster and would provide you and your fiance plenty of fun at a reasonable price. As much as we all love our F-Types here, there's plenty of time in your future for an F-Type or who-knows-what when time and finances allow.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by swajames
Agree with the advice posted here, but don't be too quick to rule out a used Boxster. It is a fabulous car. Incredibly well balanced, superb handling, quick, and a lot fun to drive. It doesn't deliver the all-out thrills of the F Type, not much for the price can, but it is a genuinely excellent car with a great blend of performance, prestige and heritage. It's definitely one to test and you can find decent examples for reasonable prices.
I've been looking at a 2010 Boxster in the color combination I like for $35k with 34k miles on it which seems reasonable, just can decide if I want to get a used 2010 for the same price as a fully loaded brand new 2015/2016 mini/miata. Tough choice!

Old 04-12-2015, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I cast my vote for the Miata. Since its inception in 1989 it's launched the resurgence of the roadster and would provide you and your fiance plenty of fun at a reasonable price. As much as we all love our F-Types here, there's plenty of time in your future for an F-Type or who-knows-what when time and finances allow.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot for the input! I don't think I'd consider a current miata because I am not super fond of how they look, however the launch edition of the 2016 looks pretty great I think:
http://www.longlivetheroadster.com/

Trying to figure out how much it will be, only 1000 being produced in the US! Would be cool to own

Old 04-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Thanks a lot for the input! I don't think I'd consider a current miata because I am not super fond of how they look, however the launch edition of the 2016 looks pretty great I think:
2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Roadster | Mazda USA

Trying to figure out how much it will be, only 1000 being produced in the US! Would be cool to own
While I have always advocated buying the best of anything - or nothing or all (paraphrasing the MB commercials) - at your age (financial position) that's unreasonable at this juncture. Since my very first car in 1974 - a 1972 Pontiac Firebird Formula - to my latest (2015 V6S F-Type) and many others in between they've all "spoken" to me one way or another (looks first, performance et. al. secondary) and I always trusted my gut, not that's its ever really come down to that...all my choices were quite easy. Even if paying for them wasn't.

Buy what "speaks" to you and enjoy the ride!!!!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
..... they've all "spoken" to me one way or another... !
What are those voices telling you to do, Jay?

Even my one crappy car (Mustang II) spoke to me: "GET RID OF ME!"

Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Roadster | Mazda USA

After reading about where you are at this point in your life, I also cast my vote for the new Miata. I love the look and specs of the new 2016, and I wouldn't mind having one myself.

A used Boxster wouldn't be a bad choice, but if you happen to be faced with repairs, they won't be cheap. Nothing is when it comes to Porsche, and even though they tend to be reliable, various parts do wear out.

Quick Reply: Help! Can't decide what car to choose