Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Car battery is dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
@AM007 how much does a replacement metal key cost?

thanks to this thread I just checked my fobs and discovered only one contains a backup key...
I have two spares, never used and 99% sure never will be used, any bids?

Just joshing of course!

Old 09-13-2020, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I have two spares, never used and 99% sure never will be used, any bids?

Just joshing of course!
They won’t work in NA. They turn the wrong direction.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Carbuff2 (09-13-2020), OzXFR (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 05:38 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I’d probably try baling wire (steel wire) with a loop on the end, and try to hook the hood release. Might not be possible if the release is tight against the side carpet.

And I know both fobs have a key, because you use it to snap open the clamshell when replacing the battery and I’ve replaced both batteries.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:11 AM
Received 170 Likes on 134 Posts

I paid $87 for my key and it was cut by the Jaguar dealer. is there a Jag dealer near you? You should just need a copy of the title and one of your fobs.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
@AM007 how much does a replacement metal key cost?

thanks to this thread I just checked my fobs and discovered only one contains a backup key...
I ordered two from two different dealerships. One of them charged me $110 and the other charged me $70. Go figure.... but not expensive at all. The only pain is the wait time.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebaker3
I paid $87 for my key and it was cut by the Jaguar dealer. is there a Jag dealer near you? You should just need a copy of the title and one of your fobs.
what car do you have?

Old 09-13-2020, 11:05 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by MisplacedPriorities
There isn't supposed to be a way to pry open the hood from the outside. As you can imagine, that is basically an invitation for theft, as it allows access to not just the battery ....
Good luck finding the battery under the hood!

Old 09-13-2020, 12:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AM007
Hi all - new to the forums. I have been lurking around and found information on here very helpful as I was in the process of buying a F type. I ended up with a certified pre-owned 2017 Black convertible f type R.

Anyways - 2 months in and I started getting the low battery warning a few days ago. I was planning on going for a nice long drive this weekend so I figured it was just because the car was sitting in the garage for a few days. Long story short - the car is completely dead. It will not even unlock. After doing some search, it seems like the only way to get in is the emergency key (metal key) inside the key fob. I opened both of my key fobs and none of them had the metal key. I called the dealer and they had me order the metal key which cost $100 bucks (no big deal) but could take a week or even a month to come since it will be arriving from the UK. They will call me tomorrow to let me know if there is another way to get into the car. I got a locksmith to come over through Jaguar road side assistance and he wasn't willing to use the tool that prys open the window and unlocks the car as it would cause damage. I agreed with him. I am out of ideas. I have searched online for this particular issue and have not found an alternative solution. Anyone deal with this? Any thoughts or ideas? Ultimately I will have to try and figure out what is draining the battery. I know there has been known issues with battery in these cars. I would appreciate any insight on this any of you may have.

Thanks in advance!
. Have you tried using your other key fob I had a problem with a dead battery but it was the key fob cost $6.00 at autozone have had no problems with my 2007 xk love my car

Old 09-13-2020, 12:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AM007
Hi all - new to the forums. I have been lurking around and found information on here very helpful as I was in the process of buying a F type. I ended up with a certified pre-owned 2017 Black convertible f type R.

Anyways - 2 months in and I started getting the low battery warning a few days ago. I was planning on going for a nice long drive this weekend so I figured it was just because the car was sitting in the garage for a few days. Long story short - the car is completely dead. It will not even unlock. After doing some search, it seems like the only way to get in is the emergency key (metal key) inside the key fob. I opened both of my key fobs and none of them had the metal key. I called the dealer and they had me order the metal key which cost $100 bucks (no big deal) but could take a week or even a month to come since it will be arriving from the UK. They will call me tomorrow to let me know if there is another way to get into the car. I got a locksmith to come over through Jaguar road side assistance and he wasn't willing to use the tool that prys open the window and unlocks the car as it would cause damage. I agreed with him. I am out of ideas. I have searched online for this particular issue and have not found an alternative solution. Anyone deal with this? Any thoughts or ideas? Ultimately I will have to try and figure out what is draining the battery. I know there has been known issues with battery in these cars. I would appreciate any insight on this any of you may have.

Thanks in advance!
. Have you tried using your other key fob I had a problem with a dead battery but it was the key fob cost $6.00 at autozone have had no problems with my 2007 xk love my car

At first I thought that I was going to get all the problems every one was having with this car they had to jump start the car that day drove it for a week no problems then sometimes it didn’t want to start so I looked at the most important things to this car and that’s the key change the battery $6 at auto zone have no problems I take 400 trips miles from Dallas to Laredo 800 miles round trip no problems I love my car this car is not for everyone It’s made to go fast I do 150 open road no popo

Old 09-13-2020, 01:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So just a note on my experience, neither of the metal keys in the fobs actually turned the door lock / opened the handle on my '17. I believe there's issues where the tumbler can become stuck / non-functioning. Hopefully once yours come cut they actually open the door!

Additionally, the issue with trying to pick the lock there is that the tool that (at least my) locksmith would use couldn't go straight into the lock due to the handle blocking a parallel entry point.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:54 PM

I have a 2014 XJ Supercharged

Old 09-14-2020, 07:04 PM

Buy a can of Lock lubricant from a locksmith. It contains graphite. I have never had luck with lubricating lock tumblers with WD40 or penetrating oil, but lock lubricant does help with corrosion of the tumbler preventing the tumbler from turning.

They do corrode from not being turned because everyone uses the fob instead. Once you get it freed up, consider using the key once every few months just to keep the tumbler from seizing up.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (09-15-2020)