F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Ceramic Brakes (photos attached)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 03:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with Ceramic Brakes (photos attached)

Hi all, i am new to the forum and currently in a F-PACE SVR 2019 and am in the process of making a deal to swap over to a F-TYPE SVR. The car i am looking at has carbon ceramic breaks, its a 2019 model and has done 6500kms. It had quite a bit of spirited driving around a track. Jaguar replaced the front brake pads, giving me new tyres, 3.5yrs warranty and servicing. I want to be sure the brakes are all okay. They do a 165 point check before selling a car, so today they used their systems to check the brakes and apparently the rotors still have 99% life left. I am not sure i beleive this as its been tracked a lot and was used as thier press car. They also offered me to go to the workshop and see the brakes for myself, so i did and took photos and videos.

To those who own jaguar carbon ceramics do these look okay? Are there any noticeable and visible signs of wear?

Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,869 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Yaseen,

Here's a relevant thread you may find useful:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-miles-208763/

Graham

Old 05-28-2020, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

I don't have the CCM brakes but those look good to me.
From what I have read the CCM pads wear much the same as "ordinary" pads but the rotors wear hardly at all, which would explain why the dealership said they are still 99% after 6500 mainly hard driven km.
The CCM rotor wear is judged by weight not thickness which is why they have minimum weight figures printed on them.
The only worrisome thing I can see is the excessive rust on one or two of the hubs and you should get the dealership to clean that off.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:04 AM

Thank you for your insight, what worries you about the rust? i noticed it and asked them about it today they said its normal?

Old 05-28-2020, 12:06 PM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

I have CCM brakes with 20k miles on the car, and my rotors appear new. I see a few concentric wear marks in your photos, but I have honestly never seen worn CCM rotors for comparison.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,142 Likes on 1,462 Posts

DO NOT buy a press car unless it is phenomenal deal. You can be 100% certain it was abused harshly for every single of these miles.

It has over 6K miles of drifting while banging off rev limiter on a cold engine abuse on it. It has more wear on it than 100K mile car.

The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
mrjohnt (05-28-2020), NavyBlue (05-28-2020), Panthro (06-01-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:44 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

unless you can see any visual damage, you won't know true condition or life expectancy unless you remove the discs and weigh them as they do not develop a wear edge like steel discs

you will find minimum weight info printed on the disc hat

i will say though my car at 20k km has a lot more pad material left than that at 6k kms

Last edited by domino_z; 05-29-2020 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

Agreed. Ask them for the precise weight for each of the four rotors. They are designed for track use too, so at only a few thousand miles it's possible they are still in decent shape. But the pads are meant to last a v long time too so if the fronts were really worn it does suggest a tough lift

Is the car a steal price wise? I'd have thought you could negotiate a pretty good deal on low mileage 2018 and 2019 SVRs these days.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Agreed. Ask them for the precise weight for each of the four rotors. They are designed for track use too, so at only a few thousand miles it's possible they are still in decent shape. But the pads are meant to last a v long time too so if the fronts were really worn it does suggest a tough lift

Is the car a steal price wise? I'd have thought you could negotiate a pretty good deal on low mileage 2018 and 2019 SVRs these days.
hey mate thanks for the reply, so I got to go in to the inspection they showed me a report that topix spit out and it said the rotors had 99% life left it in it but it wasn’t weighed.

Do any of you know if the ceramic brakes are covered under warranty?

Old 05-30-2020, 11:55 PM
Default A few more questions

Hi all as an update:

- they put new tyres all round, the previous ones were worn due to track driving. After another test drive before finalising the deal the car drove much better, super smooth and surprisingly comfortable! Absorbs a lot of road roughness.

When I drove the car there was a slight vibration type of feeling on the brake paddle; I told them about it and they said it’s due to the nature of the carbon ceramics. The front rotors had a texture feeling to the actual disc and the rears were smooth, are yours the same? Do you also experience a slight vibration? It’s like you can feel the pads making contact with the discs? Is this normal? It’s not extreme but it’s noticible.

- when you run your fingers over the front discs vs the rear of they feel different?

- when you brake do you feel the texture on the pedal / slight vibration?

Old 05-30-2020, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by RIRR
I have CCM brakes with 20k miles on the car, and my rotors appear new. I see a few concentric wear marks in your photos, but I have honestly never seen worn CCM rotors for comparison.
can you do me a favour and run your finger over the front rotors vs the rear. Is there a texture difference? E.g. front is textured and rear very smooth?

also can you describe the pedal feel when you apply brakes? Is there any “rawness” / “slight vibrations”

Old 05-31-2020, 09:27 AM

Both my front and rear rotors are very smooth to the touch. I don’t get any vibration when applying the brakes; they bite quickly and have good feel.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaseen Abbas
Do any of you know if the ceramic brakes are covered under warranty?
Brakes are a wear item. Warranties do not cover wear. However, they would be covered if they were deemed to have "failed or broken" before their determined lifetime but they are not covered from just excessive wear.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Brakes are a wear item. Warranties do not cover wear. However, they would be covered if they were deemed to have "failed or broken" before their determined lifetime but they are not covered from just excessive wear.
Yah I got the dealer to provide me with paper work that backs up their statement of "the discs is 99% new still". This way if something goes wrong its a failure on the brakes rather than excessive wear. Does that make sense?e

Old 05-31-2020, 07:35 PM

Both my front and rear rotors are very smooth to the touch. I don’t get any vibration when applying the brakes; they bite quickly and have good feel.
MMMmmm so interesting, are they the original jaguar CCB? and would it be the same setup as what would be on a F-Type SVR? Thanks for checking them or me BTW.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:53 PM

MMMmmm so interesting, are they the original jaguar CCB? and would it be the same setup as what would be on a F-Type SVR? Thanks for checking them or me BTW.
They are Jaguar CCBs and are identical to the CCBs on the SVR.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:56 PM

They are Jaguar CCBs and are identical to the CCBs on the SVR.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. On my images you can see the inner side (right next to the centre hole of the disc) the CCB have a pattern when new, almost like a checked pattern. Based on the images I added, mine are smooth, is this normal? is yours like this too after using them, any chance of images of yours?

Old 05-31-2020, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Yah I got the dealer to provide me with paper work that backs up their statement of "the discs is 99% new still". This way if something goes wrong its a failure on the brakes rather than excessive wear. Does that make sense?e
It doesn't work like that, but good luck.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 01:18 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply. On my images you can see the inner side (right next to the centre hole of the disc) the CCB have a pattern when new, almost like a checked pattern. Based on the images I added, mine are smooth, is this normal? is yours like this too after using them, any chance of images of yours?
‘The checkered area is smooth on mine also.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,142 Likes on 1,462 Posts

When I drove the car there was a slight vibration type of feeling on the brake paddle; I told them about it and they said it’s due to the nature of the carbon ceramics.
BS. No vibration of any kind should be there.

They don't want to pay $12K or so it takes to do a brake job on these. They want you to buy this problem. The moment you sign on the dotted line is the moment this is your problem, as brakes are wear and tear item.

It takes A LOT to kill CF brakes, but one way to do this is give it to press with no strings attached for 6K of track use. If they killed brakes, what else is on the way out?

Also, JLR can turn around and void the warranty due to track abuse. It doesn't matter that it isn't by you.

Last edited by SinF; 06-01-2020 at 01:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (06-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Help with Ceramic Brakes (photos attached)