Sponsored by:

Help - Choosing Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:13 AM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
Late to the party here. May have already been suggested....but I would go here

Radar Detector & Laser Jammer Forum

Best info anywhere. These guys are serious radar and lidar enthusiasts. You will find out the best for you area, needs, and budget. I'm in California...mostly KA band 34.7 but laser is getting more popular for law enforcement. I have one car thats tricked out with STiR+ also Redline, and Antilaser Priority.
Cheers
CRS
Thank you. Yes was here as well. It was suggested I go with the AL Priority system and AL Priority will be releasing their own radar next month so that's the route I'm going. The only other obvious choice was Stinger and they were just too expensive for me. Everything else had it's pros and cons.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
Thank you. Yes was here as well. It was suggested I go with the AL Priority system and AL Priority will be releasing their own radar next month so that's the route I'm going. The only other obvious choice was Stinger and they were just too expensive for me. Everything else had it's pros and cons.

Thank you for the recommendation.
You won't be sorry with ALP. The company really keeps up with updates, tech support, and they listen to the end user's suggestions for future improvement ideas. The StiR+ is great if you want an integrated system for your car, but in my opinion, you can't beat the redline's sensitivity.
Good luck!
CRS

Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 PM

You won't be sorry with ALP. The company really keeps up with updates, tech support, and they listen to the end user's suggestions for future improvement ideas. The StiR+ is great if you want an integrated system for your car, but in my opinion, you can't beat the redline's sensitivity.
Good luck!
CRS
Thanks CRS. I was originally going that route with the STiR+ plus but through both radar forums it was advised that the BSM filtering was subpar on that unit. From what I read each unit has it's pros and cons with the exception of the Stinger radar unit but was too expensive and didn't work with the AL Priority system so it was all Stinger or nothing. I figured since all other radar units had pros and cons then the new ALP radar that integrates with the ALP system for half the price of the STiR with excellent BSM filtering was the better choice for me.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Late to the party here. May have already been suggested....but I would go here

Radar Detector & Laser Jammer Forum

Best info anywhere. These guys are serious radar and lidar enthusiasts. You will find out the best for you area, needs, and budget. I'm in California...mostly KA band 34.7 but laser is getting more popular for law enforcement. I have one car thats tricked out with STiR+ also Redline, and Antilaser Priority.
Cheers
CRS
There are indeed several forums, like RadarDetector.net (LI-biased IIRC), RadarAndLaserForum.com (ALP-biased), and the one you mentioned, RDForum.org. Be mindful that some of these forums might have sections invisible to ordinary members. The contemporary ECM technology is far more advanced than even most of the "insider" people think it is, and you might have to be active and contributing to that community to just be able to see those forum sections.

Anyway, ALP + a passive radar detector + a red light camera map + an airborne collision avoidance system (ACAS) should be sufficient for most, and for this sort of information, you don't need any special membership, just curiosity and some hunger for knowledge.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:11 AM

Vortex put out a video on the new net radar that integrates with the ALP system. Wish it was more of test video than an informational one, but still good. He has some links to a couple dash cam results from Tom and appears Vortex will be doing some testing soon. I was going to order dual heads, but not sure where the heck I would be able to mount a rear radar head on the Jag.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:09 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Vortex put out a video on the new net radar that integrates with the ALP system. Wish it was more of test video than an informational one, but still good. He has some links to a couple dash cam results from Tom and appears Vortex will be doing some testing soon. I was going to order dual heads, but not sure where the heck I would be able to mount a rear radar head on the Jag.

I installed the Net Radar last week. Bottom line it is excellent. My initial review is here.

Antilaser Priority and Antilaser Net Radar Integrated System on 911 Turbo S http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1277247

Old 06-27-2016, 11:18 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Where did you mount the Radar?

Old 06-27-2016, 07:13 PM

Very nice stealth.. Glad to hear it's performance is living up to our expectation. I have the same exact set-up (radar front & rear) and jammers (3 front & 2 rear). Mine is actually in the shop right now getting installed with the air horn. Mine is expected to be done Wednesday morning.

Stealth,

How did you mount the phone? I created my own mount using Pro Clip and magic mount, but like the location of yours.. I picked up my secondary phone today so al ready to go on Wednesday. Did you set-up the jammers for 4 seconds?

Last edited by Smoke Em; 06-27-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:27 PM

Vortex just released another testing video on it as well and is rating it extremely high.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:14 AM

Very nice stealth.. Glad to hear it's performance is living up to our expectation. I have the same exact set-up (radar front & rear) and jammers (3 front & 2 rear). Mine is actually in the shop right now getting installed with the air horn. Mine is expected to be done Wednesday morning.

Stealth,

How did you mount the phone? I created my own mount using Pro Clip and magic mount, but like the location of yours.. I picked up my secondary phone today so al ready to go on Wednesday. Did you set-up the jammers for 4 seconds?
My installer fabricated a wedge mount that slots into the blank that the Porsche overhead console had for where the convertible top switches would normally go. Then the phone was mounted to the mount by automotive tape, and the wire fed into the mount with a right angle connector to result in the clean floating look that I have. This is a dedicated phone I am using for the display and I have llama setup so it automatically turns on the bluetooth, wireless and ALP app when you start the ignition, and automatically turns off bluetooth, wireless and screen when you close the ignition - so it acts like a dedicated ALP display.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 AM

Vortex just released another testing video on it as well and is rating it extremely high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N48C-6FAJnk
My experience with it has been phenomenal. I love this detector.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:01 PM

you're welcome. LOL.. Sick install, I wish my installer was able to create something similar for the dedicated phone mount. The only thing I'm mad about is the IOS application. Unlike the Android at where you can get landscape mode, you can only get portrait mode on the IPhone so I'm limited on how and where to mount the damn secondary phone. The heads and radar detector appear to be installed well and working with the radar forum guys to come out and validate/test the system as well as check out the configuration. I'm extremely new to the counter measure methods at this level and figured if I spent all this money then I want to ensure it will protect me when needed.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:24 PM

you're welcome. LOL.. Sick install, I wish my installer was able to create something similar for the dedicated phone mount. The only thing I'm mad about is the IOS application. Unlike the Android at where you can get landscape mode, you can only get portrait mode on the IPhone so I'm limited on how and where to mount the damn secondary phone. The heads and radar detector appear to be installed well and working with the radar forum guys to come out and validate/test the system as well as check out the configuration. I'm extremely new to the counter measure methods at this level and figured if I spent all this money then I want to ensure it will protect me when needed.
The iOS app also doesn't support the new radar antenna as far as I am aware. You won't be able to do GPS lockouts.

I would suggest you do what I did which is get an Android phone (they're cheap) and mount it permanently in the car. Have a look at one of the Alcatel phones Idol 3 or Pixi 3. Or a Google Moto G. You don't need a data plan, you can always share data via broadband from your iPhone over WiFi.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 07-01-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:28 PM

There are some issues with your install:

1) rear sensors are too close. You should put them about 24" apart for optimum coverage. The Jag trunk is ideal for this. Feed the cable through the light brackets. My old F-Type R was done that way. It will perform better.

2) the outer sensors on from don't seem like they are aimed foward. They look like they are at a toe or angle - following the curvature of the bumper rather than pointing straight ahead. All sensors need to point straight not outwards.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 07-01-2016 at 11:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StealthPilot:
Burt Gummer (03-08-2017), Smoke Em (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 09:33 PM

Thanks Stealth. I appreciate the feedback and will work on having it adjusted. I went onto the radar forums and asked if someone can test the system and view the ALP config. Two guys have gotten back to me a couple days ago so we're going to test and move things accordingly hopefully this week. I think something was up because I haven't heard the system go off in the 3 days I've driven it so that concerned me to have an independent test done.

Yes the IOS app is not fully functional yet, but should be soon. The radar directional is set to be functional in Sept too. I took advise though and returned the Apple phone so I picked up the Galaxy S7 Edge which will be the dedicated phone. Between functions on the Android system available earlier, app forward and the ability for the App to display in landscape it was worth it for me to change. I'm hoping I can have up and running by next weekend and will be happy.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:23 PM

Thanks Stealth. Had everything tested today with RadarRob and had to reconfig everything as well as re-download the HiFi control, firmware, and voice packs. The freaking place didn't program sensors, screwed up the config, installed the radar behind plastic instead of in the grill for maximum distance. Rob agreed with your recommendation of moving the sensors out a little further to where you had them in case of corner hits. The shop that installed has it scheduled to go back on Mon 7/25 to pull off front bumper and relocate the net radar. We tested it about a dozen times for both radar and laser and everything read perfect. Happy with the system, but haven't had any saves just yet. Also, loved your idea for phone location and mirrored it, but in a different way, but still love how it looks. Question for you though. Where did you mount the rear net radar head? It has to be behind the bumper and Rob said it needs to be visible. He said he wouldn't recommend installing the rear if behind bumper. I'm not sure yet and I have until Sept to decide since that's when the programming for direction will be up and running. Let me know.

front jammers

close up of front jammers

elevated view of front jammers.

Rear Laser Jammers

Control Unit

Phone mount with Bluetooth integration.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:02 PM

I never had a rear radar antenna on my Jag. On the 911 it is mounted behind the bumper below the rear wing assembly, but above the rear impact beam. Since my car has non metallic paint, this gives it similar reception to if it was in the open since the only thing in front of it is plastic and non metallic paint.

In your car you have metallic paint so rob has a point.

However I would say that the rear antenna should be weaker than the front antenna since rear reads are rare unless a cop is coming up behind you. Also it is annoying to have half a mile of radar warning after you pass a radar gun. So if i was you I would still put it behind the bumper. Your only other option is to put it inside the car on the rear deck lid or at the top below the center brake light. Those options might be optimal for reception.

I like the mounting you have now done and the display. I bought a phone with no logo for a cleaner look on the display.

Are you running Llama so the phone automatically brings up the app when you turn on the car, and turns off the screen, Bluetooth and radio when you shut down the car to save the phone battery?

Last edited by StealthPilot; 07-16-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:48 AM

Thanks Stealth. I never thought about mounting inside the rear deck, but that is an option too. I think in Sept when the radar directional is up and running I will probably buy the rear head and talk to Rob about putting behind rear bumper because I would like to. Know if an officer is coming up on me from behind.

Thank you and I would hope you would like the location because I took the idea from your location on the Porsche (LOL). Probably would've been the best idea, but because of how I am I always just ask for the latest and greatest. I should've thought of the stealthier look but overall still pleased.

Llama? No I'm not what is that? Assuming an app.. I am an Apple guy, but bought the Samsung because of the droid app and functionality with the radar/laser system. I think that would be a good idea and will look for it in the Google store. Today

Thank you

Old 07-17-2016, 09:27 AM

Thanks Stealth. I never thought about mounting inside the rear deck, but that is an option too. I think in Sept when the radar directional is up and running I will probably buy the rear head and talk to Rob about putting behind rear bumper because I would like to. Know if an officer is coming up on me from behind.

Thank you and I would hope you would like the location because I took the idea from your location on the Porsche (LOL). Probably would've been the best idea, but because of how I am I always just ask for the latest and greatest. I should've thought of the stealthier look but overall still pleased.

Llama? No I'm not what is that? Assuming an app.. I am an Apple guy, but bought the Samsung because of the droid app and functionality with the radar/laser system. I think that would be a good idea and will look for it in the Google store. Today

Thank you
My first time using Android too. I use an iPhone the rest of the time.

Llama allows you to program some automatic triggers. It is an Android App. You can program Llama so when it detects USB charging then it should turn on the screen, turn on bluetooth, bring up the ALP app. You can also program that when it stops detecting USB charging, it turns off the screen and turns off bluetooth. You can also add toggles for mobile data and other things like that to conserve battery when the car is not being driven.

When using Llama it starts to look and behave like an ALP display because you won't see the home screen, it will automatically turn on the screen with ALP app when you start the car.

I don't see a charging cable on your installation. Did the installer use wireless charging behind the headliner?

Also I still think you can get he rear sensors wider apart. He probably just needs extension cables.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
Does anybody have coupon codes for AL Priority?

Found a 10% if anybody is interested.
I'm interested.

Quick Reply: Help - Choosing Radar Detector