Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020 | 09:36 AM
|
Default Help needed.

Hi guys,

For the past few months, if I leave my car for a few days without starting it, I get the "Roof Not Latched" error message appear on the dash.

The car starts without issue, and after a few minutes running the error disappears. If the car is on a trickle charge, then I don't get the error.

I replaced the battery for an identical type and I'm still getting the same issue after not driving the car for a few days.

I decided to take the car into Jaguar to see if something was draining the battery.

They came back and said,

"
Investigate the roof not latched warning light is on, found fault codes for battery voltage below threshold, communication between roof modules, roof switch, tested battery and this is ok, found battery voltage is low when vehicle running under load, workshop manual recommended updating the gateway and body modules, updated but still faulting, wiring checks found loss of voltage at the front power junction due to corrosion, cleaned and battery voltage ok, if fault returns recommend new cable."

This wouldn't be covered under warranty due to corrosion. What do you guys think? I'm not convinced due to having the same error even after having a fully charged battery, and the car being left without starting for 2 days or so. Something is still draining the battery.

Also, after getting the error and letting the engine run for about 5 minutes, then the error goes away until the next morning. During the day I can open and close the roof without issue.

Old 08-04-2020 | 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by beemarman
This wouldn't be covered under warranty due to corrosion. What do you guys think?
Why wouldn't it be covered? Is rusting out to the point of loss of functionality while under warranty period is expected and normal behavior? Are you using your car in some unusual way that it was not designed for?

I think there is a good chance battery voltage is the issue that causes random faults, but I would not completely eliminate harness issue. Also, it is unusual to replace harness due to rust on any non-flood car that is younger than 10 years. If there is THAT MUCH rust, you have water ingress issue that has to be solved urgently.

Old 08-04-2020 | 10:31 AM
|

Originally Posted by SinF
Why wouldn't it be covered? Is rusting out to the point of loss of functionality while under warranty period is expected and normal behavior? Are you using your car in some unusual way that it was not designed for?

I think there is a good chance battery voltage is the issue that causes random faults, but I would not completely eliminate harness issue. Also, it is unusual to replace harness due to rust on any non-flood car that is younger than 10 years. If there is THAT MUCH rust, you have water ingress issue that has to be solved urgently.
The corrosion seems Ok from the video that was sent to me. Warranty doesn't cover corrosion I really don't think this is the issue, but due to the car being under warranty they're not going to progress with any further work until they eliminate the cable issue. They've said if the issue returns, then they would refund me on the cable.

Old 08-04-2020 | 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

I'd love to see either the video, or a screenshot, of that corrosion.

My opinion is that if the connectors are sound & 'tight', this should not be an issue.

Old 08-04-2020 | 12:22 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Please use a more descriptive subject line for the thread to enable folks to find it more easily - "Help needed" could apply to anything.

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (08-11-2020)
Old 08-04-2020 | 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

The corrosion seems Ok from the video that was sent to me.
To me, this looks like they are giving you a run-around. Contact your service supervisor and tell them that your next step will be to discuss this issue with JLR HQ and if they would like to have your car back and get an opportunity to address the warranty issue before you complain to HQ.

Warranty doesn't cover corrosion
It does not? I think they are talking apple and oranges. Corrosion of a wiring harness is absolutely a warranty issue and it is NOT the same thing as surface rust. Wiring harness only corrodes when there is a defect with the car and water gets where it shouldn't be. More so, corrosion is covered under warranty in Canada. Warranty terms might be different in UK.

I think you are being too agreeable throughout this encounter with the dealership. I think it is time to pound table and.or ask to talk to the general manager. Especially if you purchased your car at that dealership. Ask them why they sold you a rust bucket and now refusing to fix it. Ask them if you should worry about saw dust in the oil pan.

Last edited by SinF; 08-04-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2020 | 12:47 PM
|

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I'd love to see either the video, or a screenshot, of that corrosion.

My opinion is that if the connectors are sound & 'tight', this should not be an issue.
Here is the video for the health check detailing what they've found wrong.

Old 08-04-2020 | 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Please use a more descriptive subject line for the thread to enable folks to find it more easily - "Help needed" could apply to anything.
Yeah, I had a VERY difficult time opening a pickle jar the other day. HELP was NEEDED!

Luckily, my wife was able to remove the lid. (I loosened it for her, yeah THAT'S my story!)

Just kidding, carry on gents & ladies.

@SinF expressed himself better than I did regards the corrosion.

Old 08-04-2020 | 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Just viewed the vid.
Apparently, they spotted the green 'crust' on the large cables at ~1:45.

Now, I DO have to agree that this condition could cause a lack of alternator recharging as they said. If the corrosion migrated into the inside of the black insulation, then yes replacement might be in order. (Other makes' main power cables can suffer from this malady as well.) If the battery charges OK after that, a liberal coating of "Battery Terminal Protector" (several brands in the Link, below) would prevent it from happening in the future. (After viewing that Vid, I plan to check those connectors on our F next time it is on the lift.)

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-04-2020 | 03:44 PM
|

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Just viewed the vid.
Apparently, they spotted the green 'crust' on the large cables at ~1:45.

Now, I DO have to agree that this condition could cause a lack of alternator recharging as they said. If the corrosion migrated into the inside of the black insulation, then yes replacement might be in order. (Other makes' main power cables can suffer from this malady as well.) If the battery charges OK after that, a liberal coating of "Battery Terminal Protector" (several brands in the Link, below) would prevent it from happening in the future. (After viewing that Vid, I plan to check those connectors on our F next time it is on the lift.)

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8037.../dp/B000BOKML2
Thanks for the reply.
What about if the battery is fully charged and the car has not been started or driven at all?. I mean not running the car would mean no drainage to the battery, unless something else is not powering down properly in which case the battery voltage would be lower after a few hours and that could cause the error am getting.

Old 08-04-2020 | 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Look up the word "circuit".

The 'juice' needs to be able to flow in a loop. If you have a bad connection on a 'negative' or return line, that ain't gonna happen.

That big cable might be the return from the engine bay back to the battery. Visually, it WAS designed to carry a lot of current. In the Jag, there is other circuitry involved though.

++++++++++

If your alternator cannot apply its charge back to the battery in the boot, the symptom might reoccur.
Those cables might be able to be repaired (cleaned and re-crimped) or... if it isn't too difficult to snake the cable where it needs to go, an auto electric shop could easily make a new one and an indie shop could install....

Old 08-04-2020 | 07:24 PM

If that was my car and still under warranty, I can promise you they would replace that cable under warranty.
No way that is not covered and I would raise all kinds of hell until it was replaced.

SinF (08-05-2020)
Old 08-11-2020 | 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

I looked under our F today. Those battery cable connections were clean and corrosion-free on our car.

One thing of note was that our car had a squarish rubber 'boot' or covering on the end of the fat cables. So what madmax1911 said, if there was supposed to be a cover to protect the cable ends from the elements and its missing, that is grounds for warranty, for sure, IMO.

SinF (08-12-2020)