F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with OBD codes U0402 U0592

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Help with OBD codes U0402 U0592

First, I have a 2014 V8 S, CPO warranty, with 31k miles. I went for a ride a couple weeks ago and leaving my destination I started the car and before I could shift to drive, the dash said gearbox malfunction. It would not allow me to shift out of park. I turned the car off and on 4 more times, finally it let me shift into drive and I drove home with no lights on the dash and no abnormal feelings from the car whatsoever. When I got home I ran a scan and the two codes came up. I've tried to clear them with no luck. Called the dealer, they said to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to try and clear them. That didn't work, car continues to drive fine and no dash lights beyond that initial time. Codes are still there.

Google turned up nothing, looking for any help. Car is a CPO but dealer is a ways away and I dont want to drive the car now that salt is out.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Are you experiencing the issue currently? Sounds like you're probably not and that this was a one time occurrence.

Typically U-codes are diagnostic codes for the OEM development only. Most scan tool systems can't even read them, so i wouldn't immediately be too concerned about seeing them. Almost every car on the road has some stored U-codes. That being said, both of those codes appear to be active (assuming this based on the "Current Fault" warning) and both are related to the transmission. Those two are typically "Invalid data received - TCM" and Invalid data from Gear Shifter" respectively. Both are relative to the TCM module and could be caused by something as simple as a stuck shifter switch or as complicated as a bus messaging bug, depending on how Jaguar chooses to use the diagnostic fault. The dealership may be able to get some information if these codes are active when they are diagnosing the system, but if they aren't they probably won't be of much help. Honestly, I imagine a Jaguar engineer may have to get involved to diagnose the issue if it is intermittent and these are the only DTCs present.

Take it in, ask for a loaner.

The following users liked this post:
DJS (11-14-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:25 PM

Just the one time when I was on my way back home is when the dash warning came on about the gearbox like I said, but the obd codes stuck, even after disconnecting the battery. The very first time that I scanned it it actually came back as the 402 was pending. Every scan after came back both being current. Service guy at the dealership said that sometimes a rare event will occur and cause an out of range signal but they usually just disconnect the battery or clear the codes and the problem usually doesn't come back. Problem is the codes are still there. :/ CPO warranty is up 03/2020 so every month closer to that date I get, the more anxious I get about keep or sell. I've already had the entire rear diff and diff motor replaced under warranty. I'm going to be faced with that hard choice of selling the car in spring while it still has a year on the warranty or keep it like I want to but risk getting screwed if the trans or motor go by chance. I'm used to working on my own cars but don't have the dealer level diagnostics or software to work on the Jag like I did my Audi or domestics (USA).

Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 PM
Old 11-13-2018, 10:31 PM
Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Like I said, these codes appear to be active. So you can clear them till the cows come home and it won’t make any difference; they’ll just pop right back up immediately. The service techs likely don’t have a lot of knowledge with U-codes like they would with P-codes. Best take it in and they can get Jaguar’s technical service involved if they can’t solve the problem.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

That code is for a data error from the TCM. The few times I saw them it was a damaged wiring harness (rodents). They should check the wiring as well as the connectors

Old 08-10-2019, 11:07 PM

UPDATE:

Just wanted to give an update for this post. After a few months or so the U codes disappeared on their own. I did figure out what caused the gearbox fault and most likely the codes listed above, turned out that when my bluetooth OBD adapter (used for Torque Pro app on andriod) was knocked out of the OBD port while driving, it created this issue. The first time I did not make the connection however the second time the fault popped up, was the same time that the adapter got knocked out and it made sense. I waited again to get the car back in drive and everything was fine.

I've stopped leaving the adapter plugged in 24/7 and the fault has not returned.