Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please connecting Ctek

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, see this post for some pics of how I did it: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...4/#post1710314
The only difference is I later figured out how to tuck the pigtail up under the edge of the hood/bonnet…
And as I have said elsewhere this is far and away the most convenient way to set up for a CTEK or any other battery tender with a pigtail lead (sorry sov211!).
No need to even unlock the car let alone open a door/trunk/boot/hood/bonnet and it takes 10 seconds max to connect or disconnect.
Oz: I can beat that. With the CTEK permanently connected in the trunk and just the connector outside under the edge of the tailgate lid, it takes me exactly 3 seconds to connect 😊. No need to open the trunk or to fiddle with connections.

Last edited by sov211; 02-08-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Oz: I can beat that. With the CTEK permanently connected in the trunk and just the connector outside under the edge of the tailgate lid, it takes me exactly 3 seconds to connect 😊. No need to open the trunk or to fiddle with connections.

But how do you get the lead outside of the trunk?
Surely you don't leave it hanging there in the breeze all the time while driving!
Or do you somehow tuck it up under the trunk lining when not in use then flip it out to use, very much like I do with the connection under the hood/bonnet?

Old 02-08-2022, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
I do route my leads down by the wheel and can shut the hood while charging, but do not fully understand how you can leave the (half) lead in the wheel well while driving.
I would appreciate it if you would post photos. Also, presumably you fit the cable end cap back on but are you concerned at all about water getting to the charging cable?
Also to dibbyandco -
Please have a good look at the pics I have linked to.
The pigtail lead is bolted/hard wired to the under-hood charging points using the supplied circle connectors, no crocodile clips at all.
No cap or cover on the end of the pigtail (again see one of the pics).
No wires or leads left in the wheel well as such, what I have trouble explaining is that there is a small gap in the plastic hood lining above the wheel well, between the edge of the hood and the plastic under-cover, and I tuck the end of the pigtail lead (the plug) up into that gap. It fits just nice and does not fall out when driving.
Zero problem with water getting into the plug.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

But how do you get the lead outside of the trunk?
Surely you don't leave it hanging there in the breeze all the time while driving!
Or do you somehow tuck it up under the trunk lining when not in use then flip it out to use, very much like I do with the connection under the hood/bonnet?
With the long CTEK “comfort extension” that attaches to the standard wiring of the CTEK charger. This allows me to never, ever have to open the trunk to connect the CTEK, or to monitor the charging condition. The top photo shows the small CTEK connector, with its weather-proof cap, where it sits permanently, that is, just under the edge of the tailgate lid. No muss, no fuss, no bother and a fully charged battery all the time.
I use this system on three different model Jaguars constantly.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

With the long CTEK “comfort extension” that attaches to the standard wiring of the CTEK charger. This allows me to never, ever have to open the trunk to connect the CTEK, or to monitor the charging condition. The top photo shows the small CTEK connector, with its weather-proof cap, where it sits permanently, that is, just under the edge of the tailgate lid. No muss, no fuss, no bother and a fully charged battery all the time.
I use this system on three different model Jaguars constantly.
Gotcha. So the small connector sits permanently outside of and just under the trunk lid. I wonder, is it visible from behind such as by a following driver?
Also, does it rattle or bump against the paintwork and could it possibly scratch or damage the paintwork?
I ask because my set-up is completely invisible from the outside and cannot rub against or scratch any paintwork.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:46 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

convenient but goes against the grain to have it just hanging out of the boot on a expensive car IMO. Most would just leave the extension cable in the boot and only pull it out for charging time but if you are happy then who cares. Never thought of this option so thanks for sharing.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Gotcha. So the small connector sits permanently outside of and just under the trunk lid. I wonder, is it visible from behind such as by a following driver?
Also, does it rattle or bump against the paintwork and could it possibly scratch or damage the paintwork?
I ask because my set-up is completely invisible from the outside and cannot rub against or scratch any paintwork.
Because the connector and its rubber cap are small and mostly black, it does not attract visual attention on my BRG car - not invisible, but also not intrusive (See photo #1 above).It does not touch any surface other than the rubber weather stripping, and the connector is rubberized so there is no possibility of any sort of scratching or damage. No rattles or thumps….it does not hang loosely enough to produce noise.
And because I figure that the motorized tailgate lift has a limited number of opening/closing cycles to its life (as do the struts of the bonnet!) this way I reduce that concern…I keep my cars a long time🙂

Last edited by sov211; 02-09-2022 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Because the connector and its rubber cap are small and mostly black, it does not attract visual attention on my BRG car - not invisible, but also not intrusive. It does not touch any surface other than the rubber weather stripping, and the connector is rubberized so there is no possibility of any sort of scratching or damage.
If it works for you then it's all good!
I wonder how many punters following close behind wonder to themselves "nice looking car but WTF is that strange object over to the right of the number plate, never seen anything like that before, must be a special Jag gadget".

Old 02-09-2022, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member

On another Jag I had (a Series III V12, final year 1992 with the battery in the trunk) I had the experience of driving out of my garage (it was backed in, always) and going (fast) about 35kms up the highway. The Jag ran beautifully, as always, and it WAS beautiful. But this day it seemed to attract more that its normal amount of attention. I was quite used to people pointing at the car but boy, this particular day everybody seemed mesmerized by the Jag….it wasn’t until I stopped for fuel that I realized that a very long extension cord for the battery maintainer was trailing behind the rear bumper.😕
And I thought that all the attention was because of this rather than because of my stupidity:

I am more careful now.

Last edited by sov211; 02-09-2022 at 01:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DJS (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 09:31 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

sov211, that's not as bad as a guy I saw in a Nissan 350Z pull away from a gas pump with the nozzle still stuck in the filler tube. The hoses are designed to detach from the pump when that happens. I watched the guy go about 50 yards down the street, stop, get out, pull the nozzle and hose section out of his car, angrily toss it to the curb and drive away.

There were several of us standing at the pump island observing the whole thing. An attendant from the office came out and we directed him to where he could retrieve the pump handle.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (02-09-2022)