F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, please: Error Codes on Newly Delivered 2015 F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, please: Error Codes on Newly Delivered 2015 F Type R

Hi. I could really use some advice. I bought a 2015 F Type R from Houston Audi dealer and it was delivered yesterday afternoon. Just driving 3 miles to get it emissions tested, the check engine light comes on. I went to the emissions center anyways to see what codes they'd pull up and the codes are:

- P0447: Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Open
- P0420: Catalyst Systems Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) (5)
- P0405: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "A" Circuit Low
- P0010: "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1)
- P2169 No Description Available.

My questions are:

1) Are any of these codes serious enough for me to stop drive now (ie: tow to a shop?)
2) I believe Jaguar (or US laws) requires emission warranties up to major emission control components up to 8 years or 80,000 miles. So, most of these will be covered? Local Jaguar dealer wants to do a diagnostic to confirm these codes and will charge $275 just for the diagnostic. If it's not covered under warranty, I have 2-3 local shops that have worked on F Types that I can contact instead.
3) Wouldn't these codes have been picked up on a pre purchase inspection with an OBD reader - even if someone unhooked the battery prior? I had a PPI done before I agreed to buy the car and the PPI showed no issues on codes.

Also, this is a 2015 R with 42,007 miles at delivery. I put about 30 miles so far.

Thank you so much!!! I'm a little panicked here. Can't register the car until these items are resolved.

Allan

Old 03-05-2022, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 629 Likes on 426 Posts

None of these make the car undriveable in the short term.
You are correct that there is an extended emission warranty, so the repairs are probably covered (assuming there's no disqualifying cause).
But, you should have the JLR dealer do the work if you want warranty coverage.
Clearing code could have masked an existing problem.
You should talk to the Audi dealer about the situation - either to get it fixed and/or at least to cover the diagnostics.
Polite insistence is the best approach. You don't know that they caused or covered up any problem.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 611 Likes on 419 Posts

Look 'em up on Google since it's the weekend as I type You may need to include Land Rover as well as Jaguar in your inquiry.

I think you need a more comprehensive scanner than what was used. See reference to 'SDD" (Jag's dealer software)

https://www.aboutautomobile.com/Tech...Exhaust-System

+++++++++

Contact the Audi dealer ASAP to see what repairs are warranted and how you should proceed.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:25 PM

Thank you both. I did contact the dealer in Houston and they've offered to cover the cost of payment since I'm 1100 miles away. So, I have an appointment set with an Arizona Jaguar dealer.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:31 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,151 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Just an FYI - JLR extended the warranty on O2 sensors to 15 years/150,000 miles.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:43 PM
Received 469 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Agibbs996
Just driving 3 miles to get it emissions tested, the check engine light comes on. I went to the emissions center anyways to see what codes they'd pull up and the codes are:
Most cars will fail emissions testing if they're not fully up to operating temperature. You should always drive the vehicle for at least 20 minutes at speed prior to an emissions test. Now you may have more going on since the CEL came on as well. But it's certainly something to consider.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:20 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

easy check for the P0447 is make sure the gas cap is on tight.
P0420 indicates an O2 sensor.
Many different codes coming up at once could indicate weak battery.

Last edited by cstall; 03-05-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Just an FYI - JLR extended the warranty on O2 sensors to 15 years/150,000 miles.
Thank you!! I'll be sure to bring that up when I'm at the dealer.

Last edited by Agibbs996; 03-05-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by cstall
easy check for the P0447 is make sure the gas cap is o tight.
P0420 indicates an O2 sensor.
Many different codes would coming up at once could indicate weak battery.
Thanks. I'm looking into this now. I've hand it on a battery tender since I got it and it frequently switching from charging to charged.

Old 03-05-2022, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
Most cars will fail emissions testing if they're not fully up to operating temperature. You should always drive the vehicle for at least 20 minutes at speed prior to an emissions test. Now you may have more going on since the CEL came on as well. But it's certainly something to consider.
Thanks. Actually, it was about 2-3 miles from first driving it when the CE light came on. It was about 7 to the first emission testing center I went to (which was closed) and then another 10 miles to the second center. I suspect it may be some emissions issues + a weakening battery.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:45 PM
Default More Issues

Well, local Jaguar dealer did an inspection and will replace the cat under the last year of the 7 year warranty. They, of course found a few more issues too and the prices they'd charge to fix.

- Rear brake pads, sensor rotors below spec = $1,550; [Not worried and can have this replaced elsewhere]
- Main batter failed test = $580 [Not worried. I can replace the battery myself once I get the car back]
- Rear differential pinion seal leak = $1,242 [I'm going to have a local independent shop replace the diff oil with Catrol BOT 720. I suppose they can address the pinion seal as they inspect it. Any idea on the extent to replace the seal?]
- Transmission lines seeping = $940 [Not sure what this one is or what repair is involved.]
- Power steering fluid leak coming from fitting = $250 [Will have local independent shop check]
- Timing covers leaking oil and vacuum pump has oil building up on the outside = $3,174 [This is the one that concerns me the most. Not sure how extensive the repair would be]
- Rear stabilizing busing torn = $675 [Will have local independent shop check]
- Gas cap needs replacement = $92 [Emission test center said the cap was venting]

Side note, I did have a third party do a pre-purchase inspection and none of these were listed on the report and supposedly all codes passed for " current, history, and erasement".

Old 03-10-2022, 04:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The pinion seal leak is a pretty involved job. Mine gave out under warranty so I didn't have to pay for it, but it's a lengthy process. They have to drop the exhaust and pull the entire differential out in order to change the seal. In some cases, the dealership is lazy and flat out replaces the entire unit rather than having to deal with the tricky task of properly seating the pinion seal. If they do the seal replacement, make sure to check back underneath the car periodically as there's a chance they didn't seat it perfectly and it will still leak. I would advise also taking the opportunity to check if the breather is clogged and clean it out while you're there.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Whalesmash
The pinion seal leak is a pretty involved job. Mine gave out under warranty so I didn't have to pay for it, but it's a lengthy process. They have to drop the exhaust and pull the entire differential out in order to change the seal. In some cases, the dealership is lazy and flat out replaces the entire unit rather than having to deal with the tricky task of properly seating the pinion seal. If they do the seal replacement, make sure to check back underneath the car periodically as there's a chance they didn't seat it perfectly and it will still leak. I would advise also taking the opportunity to check if the breather is clogged and clean it out while you're there.
Thanks. I saw Skrt Garage's vide on the breather valve being clogged.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 986 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Agibbs996
Well, local Jaguar dealer did an inspection and will replace the cat under the last year of the 7 year warranty. They, of course found a few more issues too and the prices they'd charge to fix.

- Rear brake pads, sensor rotors below spec = $1,550; [Not worried and can have this replaced elsewhere]
- Main batter failed test = $580 [Not worried. I can replace the battery myself once I get the car back]
- Rear differential pinion seal leak = $1,242 [I'm going to have a local independent shop replace the diff oil with Catrol BOT 720. I suppose they can address the pinion seal as they inspect it. Any idea on the extent to replace the seal?]
- Transmission lines seeping = $940 [Not sure what this one is or what repair is involved.]
- Power steering fluid leak coming from fitting = $250 [Will have local independent shop check]
- Timing covers leaking oil and vacuum pump has oil building up on the outside = $3,174 [This is the one that concerns me the most. Not sure how extensive the repair would be]
- Rear stabilizing busing torn = $675 [Will have local independent shop check]
- Gas cap needs replacement = $92 [Emission test center said the cap was venting]

Side note, I did have a third party do a pre-purchase inspection and none of these were listed on the report and supposedly all codes passed for " current, history, and erasement".
Wow...That is quite a list of items. Good luck getting them all addressed.

DC

The following users liked this post:
Agibbs996 (03-10-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

I'm amazed that an Audi dealer would sell a car with worn out brakes and multiple leaks. And that your PPI didn't spot any of that
Have you gone back to the selling dealer to raise it?

Old 03-13-2022, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 389 Likes on 270 Posts

I agree with Britcars. Do you not have a warranty from the Audi dealer?
Do you not have a period in your state for returning a defective vehicle?