F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please - issues with 2014 F (s) 3100 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please - issues with 2014 F (s) 3100 miles

Thoughts, suggestions please (you can include that I’m an idiot for not ‘reading’ something, or missing the obvious) .

Background:

I’m based in Southern California.

Just purchased from a USED 2014 F -S convertible. 3100 miles.
Purchased from an Audi Dealer 80 miles from my home, who took it on trade for an R8.

I was given one of two key fobs. Second one is arriving tomorrow in Los Angeles.

Basic checks - the vehicle has a clean record.

The orientation was less then stellar. I went immediately to the Jaguar dealer I will be using in Los Angeles for background info.

Electrical issues that were “taken” care of at 1100 miles.

I have skimmed the owners manual. I did try to find something specific to the below issues - may have missed it.

What’s happening NOW:

Friday evening - have flight in 2 hours. Doors would not unlock. No response at all from key fob. Used the hard key to unlock. No alarm went off. Car started right up. No other issues.

Saturday evening: Returned back to Los Angeles. Again doors would not open. Hard key used, Alarm went off. I don’t recall which of the things I tried worked - one of them did. (either a key fob push on door unlock, door lock, alarm --- or simply the door lock / unlock inside the door - or when I pushed the start button.) Once started no other issues.

Sunday late afternoon. Doors opened right up, started. No problems. Beautiful 40 mile drive up the coast.

Sunday after dinner. Doors would not unlock, Hard key used, Alarm went off. Took longer to find how to turn it off. The start button worked and silenced the alarm.

Message on Dash: Press [OK] to Clear Camera System Fault
Center Display is Dark
Mirrors locked in closed position.
Also a Triangle with ! is on the screen.

I was able to unlock the mirrors (I think by pressing both buttons same time)

No amount of Press OK helped anything - all Center Display functions dark and not working.

Proximity sensors not working.

Key Fob buttons did nothing.

Scared that if I turned the car off - would not get it started again.
Once home - The car did restart. Nothing corrected.
When I did shut down for the evening - Key Fob did lock doors.

Finally - an observation. When I purchased the car - there were 3 paint chips. 2 I could tell were from road hazards (and they will get fixed). One however was just below the drivers side door handle. I now know that this key has been used before and caused this paint chip.

any: Try this, change this, read this, get to the dealer - do not pass go, do not collect $200 (it's under warranty)

Thank you Thank you ! David

Old 02-09-2015, 12:09 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Well apart from the obvious, get to a dealer, it is under warrantly so go and get them to sort it out. But two things worth trying. First is replace the battery in the key fob. may or may not be an issue but is an easy and cheap fix to try.

Second thing is from long experience with LandRovers, these modern cars with CANBUS systems can be very sensitive to low battery voltages which can lead to all kinds of bizarre glitches. If the car had been sitting for some time at the dealers it may have a low battery voltage or a damaged battery worth getting it checked and maybe put it on a charger overnight if you have one.

finally if you look in the manual it will explain the procedure for starting the car and stopping the alarm if you have to use the emergency key. It involves placing the key fob at a particular place under the dash near your knee.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Agree with Andrew. In addition to fully charging, I'd also suggest disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so, the equivalent of control alt delete for the modern vehicle. The good news is that it's probably one thing which is the cause of the multiple symptoms you're experiencing. I remember having a ton of simultaneous issues on one of my BMWs, symptoms much like you're having, and it was one component that drove everything which needed to be replaced. It does also sounds like it would be worth replacing the battery in your key fobs.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I agree with the theories and suggested actions of both posters above. I wouldn't be terribly concerned at this point.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:17 PM

In the shop - I will let everyone know..... Thank you......!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Good luck!!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Default Day one in shop

Day one:

Gel Battery replaced -

Day two

"Don't count on car being ready"

Old 02-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by askworldtraveler
Day one:

Gel Battery replaced -

Day two

"Don't count on car being ready"
Thanks and please keep us posted on what is found. It's tremendously helpful to share experiences like this so that others may benefit from the findings.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Thanks and please keep us posted on what is found. It's tremendously helpful to share experiences like this so that others may benefit from the findings.
+1

Old 02-11-2015, 02:21 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

If it makes you feel any better I also recently purchased a 12 month old F Type S v6 with similar mileage and of the about 20 days I have owned it, it has spent about 5 of them back at the dealers having issues sorted out.

Recurring engine light to do with the oxygen sensor, faulty tyre pressure monitoring system and paint peeling on the rocker panel.

But the dealer is being extremely helpful, no arguments, loaner XF every time and it is so much fun when you do have it it is easy to forgive it. Hopefully this time it will be sorted when I get it back tomorrow and it won't be going back until the next service is due.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Default Wednesday Update:

I went to the dealer today late afternoon (had not heard anything).

Car was parked on the front lot of the service area.

Service advisor briskly reminded me he had told me the battery was replaced.

I nicely said..... And.....

He then told me that the service engineers did get error codes, tracing them replacing some wiring, working with the UK, and looking out the window he said the car had been moved so perhaps they were tying things out, making sure they really had the fix.

I asked if I would ever be told what went wrong and what was replaced. Would it show on my final 'bill'. I was told NO. I've had USA cars too long - not used to not having a clear record to point to.

He said that he never wants a car to leave without being fixed - if his name is on the service call. I saw that as sincere.

Summary: New Battery, Error Codes, Wiring (something done with), communications with engineers in the UK, and testing.

I've advised the Audi Dealer where i purchased the car of the situation. I think this was an early production car (June 2013 I believe). Reliable is paramount to me and those who drive it.

Love the car -

Appreciate your thoughts..

Old 02-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

My thought is that you should talk to the service manager (not the advisor) and clearly state you want a full explanation of what was fixed. There's no excuse for any dealership not providing that, regardless of make.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Can I ask if you are working with Hornburg Santa Monica? I recently took my coupe in there for a problem with the airbag/seat sensor and if I'm honest, was not very pleased with their service and complete lack of communication skills. They kept my car for 3 days, with little information on why and I still have the problem, at least now it isn't as frequent.

They are extremely close to me so I was hoping they would be a solid service department but if my experience and yours is the norm then I might just drive further to Galpin as long as they give me a proper loaner.

Also is yours IRR? I might have seen it while I was there parked out front.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by askworldtraveler
I went to the dealer today late afternoon (had not heard anything).

Car was parked on the front lot of the service area.

Service advisor briskly reminded me he had told me the battery was replaced.

I nicely said..... And.....

He then told me that the service engineers did get error codes, tracing them replacing some wiring, working with the UK, and looking out the window he said the car had been moved so perhaps they were tying things out, making sure they really had the fix.

I asked if I would ever be told what went wrong and what was replaced. Would it show on my final 'bill'. I was told NO. I've had USA cars too long - not used to not having a clear record to point to.

He said that he never wants a car to leave without being fixed - if his name is on the service call. I saw that as sincere.

Summary: New Battery, Error Codes, Wiring (something done with), communications with engineers in the UK, and testing.

I've advised the Audi Dealer where i purchased the car of the situation. I think this was an early production car (June 2013 I believe). Reliable is paramount to me and those who drive it.

Love the car -

Appreciate your thoughts..

Sorting out problems on a first model year car is not a situation unique to Jaguar. My 2002 MINI (BMW product) was in the shop 6+ weeks in the first year I had it. After it got sorted out, and now more than a decade later it's still very reliable. My wife's Gen 2 Mini was the 3rd model year of that incarnation and she has had nothing other than standard maintenance issues to deal with for the past 6 years.