Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP with potential TFype awd 400 sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default HELP with potential TFype awd 400 sport

Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie to the forum and hopefully I will be a new F-Type owner by eow!
However before pulling the trigger, I have some questions and would really need help.
I was offered a stunning 2018 F-type 400 Sport Awd Black with Yellow ceramic brakes.
It would be a lease takeover 34 months, 61000km.
Here's my questions:
1- I'm a little bit scare of the ceramic brake..How long does they last, obviously approx (I'm a soft driver)?
I heard it's like 20k to replace them, so that would definitely be a no go!
2- I'm considering driving the car in winter, my work commute is about 8km back and forth (I live in Montreal). Anyone experienced driving the car in winter?
If so what tires do you recommend? I was on tirerack earlier and couldn't find winter with sizes needed..
My previous car was an Audi S5 (dropped with 20" wheels) and never had any issues. When needed I will taking my wife F-Pace , currently mine.
3- Was the average annual cost on maintenance?

Looking forward to heard back your answers and feedback!
Thx in advance!

Old 07-29-2018, 01:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I drive my S awd in wintertime, goes well, need to pay attention to deep snow given our ground clearance, but other than this no issue.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Brava
I drive my S awd in wintertime, goes well, need to pay attention to deep snow given our ground clearance, but other than this no issue.
Thanks for your feedback!

Old 07-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I have heard that ceramic brakes can be noisy in daily use, and that they need to heat up before they work optimally. I don't have them, so hopefully someone with personal experience will chime in.

Annual maintenance for my 2016 is still included in the purchase price (not really free) so I can't say. Is that part of the package in Canada? If so, scheduled maintenance for the duration of the lease might be zero.

The following users liked this post:
mv007F (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I have heard that ceramic brakes can be noisy in daily use, and that they need to heat up before they work optimally. I don't have them, so hopefully someone with personal experience will chime in.

Annual maintenance for my 2016 is still included in the purchase price (not really free) so I can't say. Is that part of the package in Canada? If so, scheduled maintenance for the duration of the lease might be zero.
For the maintenance the first one is free indeed, since first one is due soon they will do it before I take it.
Regarding ceramic brake my friend had them on his Aston Martin and never experienced squeeqing noise. However I will do more researh on that...
Thanks Steve!

Old 07-29-2018, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mv007F
For the maintenance the first one is free indeed, since first one is due soon they will do it before I take it.
Regarding ceramic brake my friend had them on his Aston Martin and never experienced squeeqing noise. However I will do more researh on that...
Thanks Steve!
If the 400 Sport had been available when I ordered I'd have gone for it, although RWD and MT. I hope you end up with a car you enjoy! Many of us daily drive, although I'm more likely to drive escaping fire than navigating snow :-(

Mine's had a few issues, but resolved under warranty and I am happy.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

If the 400 Sport had been available when I ordered I'd have gone for it, although RWD and MT. I hope you end up with a car you enjoy! Many of us daily drive, although I'm more likely to drive escaping fire than navigating snow :-(

Mine's had a few issues, but resolved under warranty and I am happy.
Unfortunately the 400 isn't offered with the MT, so you still have the best available option.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Unfortunately the 400 isn't offered with the MT, so you still have the best available option.
I wasn't aware of that. Because I was happy with my choice (and not made of money) I kind of stopped looking once I got my baby.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by mv007F
1- I'm a little bit scare of the ceramic brake..How long does they last, obviously approx (I'm a soft driver)?
I heard it's like 20k to replace them, so that would definitely be a no go!
2- I'm considering driving the car in winter, my work commute is about 8km back and forth (I live in Montreal). Anyone experienced driving the car in winter?
3- Was the average annual cost on maintenance?
1. I had 17,000 miles on mine at the last service and both the pads and discs where measured to be 95% of new dimensions. My car is not tracked, mostly just days out, but is occasionally driven as it was intended. Barring a fault with a calliper I don't expect to be changing them ever. I don't get any noise. During very cold wet use they can take a little longer to work fully, but still better than the stock brakes on my X351 XJ and in those conditions you are being extra cautious anyway so it is not a surprise.

2. Mine is a RWD and I've driven it in 2" snow on ungritted roads with the Pirelli P Zeros. It was an interesting experience, and although it handled safely in the rain/ice mode I wouldn't choose to do it regularly as it was quite stressful to drive in those conditions. It can wiggle a bit on cold roads on the P Zeros under gentle acceleration if there is any lateral force still. Your F-Pace would be a better choice for winter days.

3. To date my only servicing cost has been a brake fluid change. I forget the interval for the CCB fluid change but I remember that because it uses a different fluid the cost was not included in the service package offered with the car in the UK. Despite the cost of the cars the parts are not especially expensive so from my next year service, which is the first I will pay for separately, it should be done for the standard Jaguar fixed-price service cost. The maintenance costs should not be that different to any other current Jaguar model.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Ceramic brakes are a no-go in the winter. Even car manual warns about it.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Whatta ya know! I've got a 400 Sport in the driveway right now!

I took mine in for annual maintenance and was expecting another monstrosity, given my last two courtesy cars were an F-Pace (diesel) and a Discovery. I was quite pleased to get some seat time in an F-Type other than mine.

It doesn't have carbon-ceramic brakes, so I can't speak to that point. The splitter in the front is lower than I'm accustomed to so I'm being careful. That would be an issue in the winter. Performance is pretty lively, although I'm not always in agreement over when it should be shifting. I've been letting it decide so I can assess its judgement. I'll play with the paddles later. The seats don't have quite as much bolster for lateral support as the Performance seats, but I like the firmness and the feel.

The screen is definitely better than that in my '16. Reverse camera view is much sharper.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:54 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Performance is pretty lively, although I'm not always in agreement over when it should be shifting. I've been letting it decide so I can assess its judgement. I'll play with the paddles later.
Keep in mind it's a learning transmission, so it's behavior might change subtly over time, if you had it long enough.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Keep in mind it's a learning transmission, so it's behavior might change subtly over time, if you had it long enough.
As I was typing it did occur to me, and I expect that it's been taught by people who drive "conservatively." I doubt I'll have it long enough to re-educate it properly ;^)

Old 07-30-2018, 01:17 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Thank you for that little tidbit, it's something I've been meaning to ask about but my CRS keeps kicking in. I tried to find out from the operator's manual if the transmission "learns" like my XF did, and couldn't find any info on whether it did or did not.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:24 PM

Guys,
Thank you all for your help with my questions!
I was so excited joining the forum that I made mistake in the title on my first post Lol Now its a done deal , I will be taking over the new car in about an hour. Can’t wait 😆
Here’s the beast ..

Old 08-07-2018, 07:01 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

had the pleasure of putting a few hundred miles on a 400 last weekend, great car, well rounded and fast. congrats!

Old 08-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Congrats on the new TFype!

Old 08-10-2018, 08:51 PM

Thanks!! Simply love the car!